Poll Time! Best Themed Land at WDW? FINAL ROUND

We didn’t even watch the movie until this summer in preparation for visiting Disney World!

2 Likes

That’s the big factor that keeps the land from reaching its full potential for me. The land was designed with the assumption of movie sequels and just a bigger franchise presence, which hasn’t come to fruition (yet). I know 3 or 4 sequels are on the schedule now finally (I think), in alternating years with SW films, so I will keep an open mind and maybe Avatar 2 will really surprise and foster a stronger connection with the franchise, and thus the land. Cameron still being involved gives some hope, and the Neytiri character is the star to me, but Sam Worthington’s acting and the Jake character left a lot to be desired, so hopefully it’s better in round 2.

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong. Pandora is beautiful. I get the love of it. But when pitted against SWGE, I still see no contest.

Even the rides themselves…Na’vi? It is basically “It’s a Small World” through a Pandora forest instead. Certainly not work the 90+ minute waits it had at times!

Avatar is a much better ride, but I wouldn’t call it better than RotR nor MF. Personally? I like Soarin’ better than Avatar, for various reasons, not the least of which is the fact that the images go funky due to the use of 3D quite often. And it feels like a ride through a computer-generated land and not real at all (which is actually the case). Soarin’ I like EXCEPT the parts that are computer generated. But I don’t have the wonkiness.

So, yeah. SWGE just blows Pandora away, IMO.

1 Like

I wonder though, when the newness of SWGE wears off a little, will love for it not be as sustainable as it could be due to inventing a new planet not part of the films in any way? Although, Batuu is similar enough to Jakku or Tatooine. I know Batuu is working its way into various other projects to retroactively insert it into lore to some extent, but was this the right approach vs creating replicas of movie scenes/sets really well like WWOHP? I’m not sure yet.

1 Like

Me too. #sorrynotsorry

FoP makes me mildly ill (2/5 barf bags :nauseated_face::nauseated_face:). The music for Soarin’ is :+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:. I love the scents and the feeling of floating (soarin’ :wink:). I agree real world sights are more inspiring than an imagined one, at least in this particular case.

That said, FoP is an expertly crafted experience. A few tweaks in either the ride or my tolerance and it would be up there.

1 Like

I would say being in B1 on Soarin’ for the first time made it a contest with FoP that I wouldn’t have thought possible. I think what still puts FoP on top for me is the ride vehicle, the way you sit leaning forward and feel the breathing, just makes it more of a full experience than sitting normally on a glider.

1 Like

It’s interesting to me that the reaction to SWGE has seemed to improve over time. When it first debuted, there were a lot of “that was a dud” takes online that I think were premature, especially with DLR’s version opening first and attendance being so low. By the time WDW’s version opened, things were looking much better, and RotR cemented the status.

As people become more familiar with the land, it is itself becoming a place people have nostalgia for (myself included). It has its own personality that is adjacent to the films without copying them. I love the ambition they had of making a new location with aspects of others - it “feels like” Star Wars, even though it hasn’t appeared in any films.

The difference is pretty clear when you compare SWGE to Star Tours - IMO SWGE is so much more immersive than Star Tours. When you see Rey or Chewie in SWGE, they’re real and you’re peeking into a different time and place. When you take a photo with Darth Vader in the Launch Bay, it’s fake - he’s just a guy in a suit pretending to be Vader, or at best, Vader visiting our world (which makes him far less intimidating).

1 Like

While I agree, SWGE hands down, its really not a fair fight. One is based on one of the most beloved movie franchises ever, while the other is a semi-popular Dances with Wolves knock off.

3 Likes

I was thinking the same

I love love Star Wars but I also always hoped that they would recreate some iconic place from the original trilogy. I know they planned on doing Tatooine/Mos Eisley before SWGE came into play. I do get the challenge with that though, and also why Disney would want to do something with more potential in terms of connecting to the Disney era SW instead. But I guess for me the issue is that, when walking into SWGE, I just don’t feel like I’m walking into a particular place in SW that I feel a connection to. The Millenium Falcon is the exception of course, seeing it had me in awe because it’s something I’ve loved since a kid. I’ve only been once, when it was packed wall to wall, so I’m sure going back will be a different experience too.

As for Pandora, I have to admit I’ve seen 30 minutes of the movie so I don’t know anything about it nor do I have any personal connection to it. but, regardless of that, somehow walking in there felt very magical and immersive. From that perspective, Pandora is very impressive. And the way it changes at night is quite epic.

2 Likes

I’ll admit, from an immersion standpoint, Disney hit a home run with SWGE. With the storm troopers, the themed shops, Oga’s cantina, and the x-wings and millennium falcon, it’s a dream come true for any child of the 70s and 80s.

Like @Mike_vndt says, take the SW nostalgia and fanboy/girl appeal away, I feel like Disney did an amazing job creating Pandora. Though that animatronic Navi shaman is kinda creepy and Navi River is a very simple ride, it is amazing what they were able to accomplish esthetically. (And btw I could ride FoP all day!). I was supposed to be in the World as we speak, attempting to ride RotR for this first time. Maybe when I finally get back next year, riding RotR may change my opinion?

3 Likes

Honestly? I want to punch you in the face. There is so much more to NRJ than that. It is one of my favourite rides in the whole of WDW. The music, the richness, the cleverness. It’s tranquil and beautiful and inspiring.

Why do you do this? Literally no-one calls it that. Apart from you. Why the need to stand out?

That’s arguably true of all rides at WDW. Or any theme park.

There is definitely an issue here, that’s true. When it was new it was awesome. The projection flaws are now really distracting to me.

My first trip to WDW was in August 2017, and Pandora had only recently opened. Because I was bossing the FPP system even then, I rode it three times in a week, each time with an FPP. It blew my mind and gave me real, childlike joy.

I knew nothing about Soarin’ and left it as an afterthought. In fact, it was the last ride of my trip. I was so annoyed with myself. I thought it was awesome and I was angry I wouldn’t have another opportunity to ride it.

That being said, Soarin’s distortions and dangly feet are as problematic as FOP’s projection issues.

There is some wisdom here. On the other hand, Soarin’ physically lifts you up and sweeps you forward in a way I wasn’t expecting the first time I rode it. I found the sensation quite thrilling. FOP doesn’t offer that.

I have very limited emotional connection to Star Wars. I enjoyed Episode IV and have watched it a few times. It was the only one I saw in the cinema. I have vague recollections of V and VI. The rest are garbage.

I found Pandora the movie, visually very impressive: incredibly creative. The plot was OK and kinda moving in parts.

But my greatest emotional resonance is with Harry Potter, which no doubt helps it into my number one slot.

WWOHP has — at my count — two really terrific rides; others will say it has three. It has an awesome castle, with great projections. You can lose yourself in Diagon Alley for hours. And the Hogwart’s Express is a totally original and clever concept, superbly executed. It also has butterbeer.

SWGE has one good ride. MFSR is blah for me. And it makes me motion sick. ROTR is great — incredibly ambitious in scope — when it works. I’ve had six attempts at ROTR, only three of which were actually successful. The land itself is visually interesting, but it’s not as immersive as I expected it to be. It has the blue / green milk, which I like, even if others whine about it. I like Ronto Roasters; I don’t like DB7.

Pandora is definitely immersive and feels right in the Florida heat and humidity. It’s a totally different experience at night. NRJ is wonderful, FOP — when it’s working as intended — is awesome. And it has the best QS restaurant on property.

For me the ranking is: WWOHP, Pandora, SWGE.

If I add TSL into the mix, it might edge out SWGE. I love how creative it is. It really comes alive at night. It has two great rides and one not-great ride, but one that’s still a lot of fun, in a simple, childlike way. The menu at Woody’s Lunch Box doesn’t interest me at all, so I’ve never been. The new restaurant might be a game-changer for the land.

3 Likes

Is it Hagrid’s and Gringott’s that you think are really terrific? I would agree with Hagrid’s. I was so-so on Gringott’s, although the queue was amazing. I feel like it could have been so much better - the ride itself. I do love the theming in WWOHP. But Universal is not my cup of tea overall.

I do agree that FOP gives a sense of joy. I come off of it feeling exhilarated, energized, and like I’m on top of the the world. Love Soarin’ too, but it doesn’t give me that same feeling. I wonder how you would like Guardians: Mission Breakout at DCA. I love ToT, but Guardians gives me joy. Not quite the same as FOP, but it is so much fun.

1 Like

I missed the first poll. Disappointed to see Dinoland didn’t make the cut.

2 Likes

I sincerely hope you are not a registered voter in real life. :joy:

6 Likes

Stop trying to suppress my vote!

I also think the Boardwalk pool is the best pool. :wink:

4 Likes

Right. Exactly. So…just like It’s a Small World.

Literally no-one is bothered by this. Apart from you. :wink: Actually, I heard others call it that. I use both, and will continue to do so. Avatar is easier to type than FoP or FOP…particularly on a phone. Furthermore, the ride is called “Avatar: Flight of Passage”. I just shorten it to Avatar. Get over it! :slight_smile:

Agreed. We were fortunate to get B1 this trip. So much nicer than other locations.

2 Likes