Poll Time! Best Pixar Film

I don’t think it was meant to be a heart and soul kind of movie.

2 Likes

Which is why I wouldn’t give it an honorable mention. :grin:

1 Like

I was surprised that no one picked Turning Red. I still haven’t seen it, but with all the buzz I thought it would have at least one vote!

3 Likes

It was too angry for me. Inside Out handled teen emotions brilliantly. I cried my eyes out practically the whole movie. Even as small as the way the faces were drawn angry all the time in Turning Red was too much for me. It just had a bad overall energy vibe

3 Likes

I’m so excited for this poll.
Thank you @Jeff_AZ :+1:t2::smiley:

2 Likes

None of the characters are relatable.

2 Likes

If it comes down to choosing between Brave and Inside Out I don’t think I’ll be able to. They’re both just superb.

5 Likes

I assume on the last poll, sequel means sequel/prequel, so I voted for Monsters U anyway instead of taking a principled stand against the wording of the poll this time. :crazy_face:

6 Likes

Um, talking dogs > superhero baby.

2 Likes

They’re as relatable as any other superhero film surely?

2 Likes

I have enjoyed pretty much every Pixar movie. Some are better than others. I think The Good Dinosaur is underrated. I’ve only seen it once and it’s kinda slow, but it really resonated with me the one time I watched it. Not saying I’d vote for it, just that it’s underrated.

I think Toy Story was a monumental achievement, and the songs are the best to ever come out of a Pixar film until perhaps Coco, but ultimately the animation is a little cringey in retrospect. Toy Story 2 is a big improvement and I like the story better.

My votes in the first poll went to Toy Story 2, Finding Nemo (which I mostly picked because it grabs in kids’ attention so effortlessly, and because I think Dory is hilarious), and Cars, which is the inspiration for one of Disney’s best lands. It’s the aesthetic more than the movie for me.

For Poll 2, I chose Coco as my clear favorite. That one tugs on my heart strings like no other, Every . Single . Time. Inside Out came in second, because I found it intellectually intriguing. I’m one of only two votes for Luca, which I found hilarious and fun in a way no other Pixar movie has been before.

I’m surprising myself to say I think the second half of Pixar’s slate is stronger than the first, though the first half paved the way. (And there are more stinkers in the second half, relatively speaking.)

4 Likes

Yes, in the poll, “sequel” means a follow-up to the first film, whether the events of said film take place before, after, or during its predecessor. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

I guess so.

It’s never been even close to a favourite for me. I find some of the voices annoying. Edna has grown on me over the years but I didn’t ‘get’ that character in the beginning. Syndrome is meh and Rick Dicker is positively :yawning_face::yawning_face::yawning_face:.

The movie is saved by Frozone and it’s whole mid-century tone.

5 Likes

If just never been enamored with superhero movies. I enjoy them well enough and watch pretty much all the big ones. But they’re not my favorite genre.

Maybe it’s because of what @Shmebulock said about relating to the characters? I think it’s something along those lines.

4 Likes

Fair enough! I love it personally.

3 Likes

Well I happen to know that @Shmebulock loves superhero films!

2 Likes

I do love my Marvel!!

DC - not since Michael Keaton was Batman :man_supervillain:t4:
(Apart from Shazam :zap::laughing:)

3 Likes

I’m surprised by Coco’s vote percentage. From a previous discussion I’d formed the opinion the movie was too sad

Character relateability is important. Character growth matters. As does inclusivity. I’m thinking we all view stories through the our own experience lens and mine is heavily swayed by being told you can’t because you’re a girl.

(yeah, maybe after several decades a person should dump some baggage) (but then maybe Captain Marvel wouldn’t resonate quite so much)

Another thing with better movies is layers. Sight gags. Jokes for adults. It’s a Bug’s Life does that. The music is great. The main society is matriarchal. Inclusivity. Growth. And there’s that thinking outside the box which always appeals.

Up and Cars have similar messages of inclusivity, layers, growth, and surprise.

Most of the other movies in poll 1 have good qualities. They just don’t resonate as much.

I left out re-watchability. As @QwertySC mentioned, if I’m walking past and the movie’s on, do I have to sit down to watch. Coco is that way. That’s not all it’s got going for it.

Three of the movies I haven’t seen.

3 Likes

How is Up not getting more love? I think it’s absolutely brilliant and hilarious and heartwarming. Easy first pick for me!

Also, did I miss the Disney film results somehow? I never saw which film won in the final round.

4 Likes

Coco is a happy kind of sad though. Not like Up which is thoroughly depressing right from the off :sob::sob::sob:

6 Likes