Poll Time! Best Disney Resort Hotel Dining

You’ve captured the vise in which any aspirational Disney restaurant finds itself.

On one side, you have people who’ve never been exposed to the ethnic or upmarket cuisines that are the basis of most of Disney’s newer restaurants, and are quick to brand them “weird,” or, in extreme cases, not fit to eat. I’m always surprised by this, as I think about the comparative explosion of successful “weird” and “ethnic” places in my own town in the last 10-12 years; a city that’s no one’s definition of cosmopolitan and was once known for being a sure-fire restaurant killer. But whatever, if it’s not your taste or not your thing, fine, just understand that many of us do really enjoy them (and for reasons that aren’t about telegraphing sophistication).

On the other you have a smaller stratum of those whose ratings go from “zero to French Laundry,”* and can’t wait to tell you how ludicrous Disney’s attempts at anything that doesn’t come right off the Sysco truck are. And when Disney does, they end up with hot garbage that isn’t fit to be thrown from the window of a moving car.

*stolen from a DISboards discussion from some years ago

3 Likes

And the GF bread service at Sanaa is also very good! And the chef made the most amazing meal for Gregg from ingredients on hand—twice. It’s a definite have-to-go-to restaurant in WDW for us. The other is Raglan Road.

2 Likes

I see. So, when it comes to ethnic food, Mediterranean and African flavors have something in them that I just don’t like. I’m more an Asian and Mexican flavor type guy! :slight_smile:

ETA: And Italian!! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This reminds me of the 30 Rock scene where the new CEO came to NYC for the first time, and said he went out for “exotic” Indian food for the first time, and told everyone proudly, “I had NAAN!”

3 Likes

Normally, yes. But we’ve made a meal out of Sanaa bread service.

1 Like

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but I can’t let all this Sanaa talk pass without mentioning

Edited to blur the terrible photo of the kheer because @ryan1 thinks it looks like puke. Look at @LTinNC82’s photos instead.

4 Likes

What are we looking at?

1 Like

From ParkRanger’s “broken record” link:

3 Likes

Whatever it is, it looks utterly disgusting. Like someone vomited on the plate. :persevere::face_vomiting:

2 Likes

Not the best photo. But it’s sublime :yum:

2 Likes

Does this look any better?

7 Likes

MUCH. But I doubt it’ll win over @ryan1.

3 Likes

Definitely going to try this in 15 days!

4 Likes

Okay. Yes. That looks oodles better. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s like rice cream from Norway, but with raisins and a brown sugar crumble. It really is delicious.

2 Likes

Do not recommend with the Tusker Lager though. Maybe one of your gin drinks would be better.

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: love how you blurred your pic!

3 Likes

Not to be pedantic, but the menu describes it as:

No raisins (though maybe some undried grapes?). I only make this correction because there’s a substantial anti-raisin contingent out there, and I don’t want them to be dissuaded.

3 Likes

Actually, I’m kind of one of them. Well, about certain things. I don’t really like raisins in baked goods (such as muffins or cookies), but I like raisins in others (such as cereal/oatmeal). It is mostly a texture thing, I guess.

But I wasn’t offended by them in this case. I suppose the “saffron-poached fruit” could include raisins?

3 Likes

Can you think of a beer that the lager is like? I do like lagers (Sam Adams is one of my faves)

2 Likes