[Poll] Sophie’s choice

I haven’t been to the one at HS, but between Epcot and MK, I have to agree with you! The one in Epcot is just fantastic!

If we’re allowing DLR cheating, then I’m changing my vote. DLR has SWGE and TOT, so I’m only losing TSL. EP is unique and I just remembered the Candlelight Processional.

4 Likes

You’ve missed nothing. It’s awful. It has no windows.

(I did not take this photo. It was posted on Twitter.)

There are zero rides at HS that I’m able to ride due to my vertigo issues. The restaurants are okay, but nothing I want to visit again. No shows right now. I’m okay skipping it. My DD would be appalled. Her favorite rides are all there.

You accomplished being one. :joy: :crazy_face:

1 Like

IMHO - AK is just a zoo with two really good rides. (FoP / Everest)

While I love those rides if I had to get rid of a park I’d be OK losing AK. I’ve got a membership to one of the top 10 zoos in the US at home. (Pre-COVID I’d go on most Sunday mornings and walk a few miles before making a nice Sunday brunch at home!)

3 Likes

I think this is an important point. What do each of the four parks offer that is unique and can’t be found elsewhere?

I said I like Soarin’, but there are other Soarin’s in the world. For example.

1 Like

Will your next poll be to pick one of the Fab 5 to eliminate from the parks forever? :rofl:

You do know why it’s called “Sophie’s Choice” right? :joy:

2 Likes

I used this logic. I’ve been meaning to get to DLR someday anyway. And unpopular, but we haven’t had our best times at MK.

1 Like

This is sooo hard! I pick HS but because I could forgo most rides. But to miss out on TSM is soooo sad.

Sophies Choice? Ugh. Couldn’t you have picked a better analogy?
The Holocaust is about as far from WDW as one can get, gratefully.

4 Likes

Oh yeah, that definitely isn’t as nice as EP, MK, or the original at DL. I mean, I’d still go there, of course!

Yes. And I could never have chosen!

3 Likes

No.

The meaning of the term is well-established. It may be based on a work of fiction that references the Holocaust but it is now widely used to refer to a difficult choice that no-one would want to make. “Catch-22” also sprang from a novel set in the Second World War and is similarly ubiquitous.

The strength of words and phrases change over time and many people are often ignorant of their origins, which cease to be relevant to their modern usage.

2 Likes

Well, I’m not ignorant of its origins, and clearly neither are you. :wink: Also, I wouldn’t want to underestimate the age or intelligence of the average Liner. And I realize I’m perhaps a bit more sensitive than other people, there are quite a few movies I won’t ever watch again (or for the first time, even).

But Catch-22 didn’t feature mothers handing over their kids to be sacrificed by the Nazis. WDW is my happy place and it was jarring to see that as a topic. Especially as it has to do with children.

I’m trying to confine my gloom and doom to the COVID thread, thankyouverymuch!

It would be helpful to know which words and phrases are now banned on these forums on the ground they might be distressing to others.

I assume all discussion of the racist ride Splash Mountain will cease, for example.

Other taboo topics presumably include the violent and traumatising movie Bambi, in which a child’s mother is seen to be shot and killed.

1 Like

WHY IS THERE NO PLACE WHERE THERE ARE TREK SIMULATION RIDES?
Sorry, didn’t mean to yell, but really now.

I’m not a gambler, but almost flew to Vegas just to see the ST: The Experience back in the day, wish I did.

4 Likes

Oh now, don’t worry about it. I said my piece, you’re entitled to discount it if you wish. We can disagree politely. Carry on.

DHS was a two day park for me BEFORE TSL and SWGE.

2 Likes