Points in holding aka points jail

I just came back from the most amazing trip at Villas of Grand Floridian! This was a rescheduled trip that we were going to take early January but due to Omicron concerns we moved it to late February. Because I shifted dates, I ended up using slightly fewer points. I have 12 points in holding that expire May 31. I don’t feel like I’m “losing” anything because I still took my trip and it was fabulous but I feel like I should do something with these points. What are my options? 12 points is enough for one night in May at an OKW studio. Should I book one night in an OKW studio in May and let someone use it? Can I give the points to someone else to use? What do you think?

1 Like

You could:
-Use them yourself
-Gift them to someone
-Rent them to someone
-Let them expire

The first time someone mentioned gifting them to someone (setting up a room for someone using the points) I was like DUH! How did that never occur to me before?! I personally think that would be the coolest thing, but what you do is entirely your business.

Glad you had a great VGF stay!

2 Likes

Also I have to say that I booked at Villas of GF only about 5 weeks out. I saw a 2 bedroom standard view open for late February and took it. Can’t believe how lucky I got finding it and also lucked out with the TP reservation finder coming through on finding some reservations. For only booking about 5 weeks out everything worked out so well.

1 Like

Thank you! Unfortunately my work schedule is a bit crazy in May so I can’t use it. Perhaps I can gift to a friend - that would be a nice idea.

1 Like

I would start stalking May dates since you have to be within 60 days.

It is actually fun to know your points are being used!

1 Like

I was fortunate to have been the recipient of gifted points…enough to book a single night at BLT…by one of our very own here (who shall remain nameless, but has tinkered about in this thread already…), which was just an amazing thing. You can’t imagine how touched and blessed we felt because we were able to tack on an extra day to our trip that way, PLUS experience staying in the CR (via BLT) for a night, which had always been a dream of mine.

So, if you can’t use them yourself, I can imagine gifting them to someone who could use them would just make their day!

1 Like

I know right - it would be great to have the points used vs. just expire.

Oh that’s great - glad that you were the recipient of some points that’s awesome

1 Like

To follow up, this is really bizarre what happened! I have my 12 points in holding. Separately I have a reservation for November 27 for 3 nights at Riviera. I wanted to modify it to November 26 for 3 nights. Since it’s a Saturday night, it’s more points and I’m 3 points short. I called DVC member services to see if I can purchase the 3 points as one time use points. They said no since I’m not 7 months out yet but while looking at my account, they said the 12 points in holding should have never been placed in holding. What? For real? But I cancelled less than 30 days out so those points go into holding. They said something must have pulled from the wrong use year and they apologized and are releasing the 12 points from holding and letting me bank them. Therefore I now have 3 points to use plus 9 points. From now on - I will always call if I have points in holding! I honestly don’t quite get the explanation but it worked out in my favor.

9 Likes

Just seeing this now and I’m not sure if they are still available, but I actually have a 1 night stay at OKW planned for May right now. Is it worth finding a way around DVC and I could pay you for the points?

Hi there - I was actually able to get the points out of holding so I’m using some for my November trip and banked the rest. See last post.

2 Likes