Plan for park hopper vs one park per day

Hello- I’m looking to buy tickets for our January trip soon- in case prices are raised on those tickets along with everything else! We are going for 6 nights with my in-laws. We had originally planned for park hoppers - so we could do a half day at HS and evening at Epcot, or more days trying to get a boarding group, then hopping somewhere else. Since buying DVC we have enjoyed not feeling as much pressure to see and do everything each trip and have been more laid back in the parks. This and the fact that my in-laws may tire easily is leading me to consider one park per day. Can I have your touring recommendations? Perhaps we can plan the days around the extra evening hours if they’re still offered? Or use the $600 savings for something extra. I think my in laws might enjoy a little resort hopping as well! Appreciate your feedback!!

1 Like

Since your in-laws are coming with, I would recommend visiting 1 park per day. Even if you do a mid day break, it is still tiring to go back to a second park. It’ not easy to get that energy level back up after resting. Whether it’s a shorter day or an 8 hr day, the evening should be calmer staying near the resort. Or, like you said some days can just be an afternoon and evening in the park.

2 Likes

I really like hoppers, but if my parents were with me I don’t think I would get them. I know they tire out early and they would rather go hard while they are out and relax at night vs go in the morning, take a midday break and then have to go out somewhere else for a few more hours at night. What is their day to day like normally?

1 Like

You can always add park hopper option later-

I generally find that we are traveling with others we know the first day…

Considering all the crazy changes would grab the base first and see how it goes…

2 Likes

My mother in law is not very active and was diagnosed with Parkinson’s. We’ve convinced her to rent a scooter for the trip.

1 Like

Yeah I think I’d lean toward one park per day in that case. As @noreen99 said you can always add hopper later if you’d like to.

And what parks do you suggest for 2 days vs 1 day…like I said we have 6 days….

This is a tough choice. Park hopping is great, especially if your resort is next to one of the parks. When we stayed at BCV, it was great to go to one park during the day then hop to Epcot for dinner and evening.

But on our next trip, we are doing one-park-per-day because it is a short 4-day trip. Park hoppers are more valuable the more days you are there.

1 Like

We are staying at RIV…I’m
thinking 2 days at HS and AK. I was thinking of taking advantage of the evening hours for delux guests- but my kids rarely stay up that late!! Honestly I think my In laws might enjoy checking out resorts or Disney springs more than being in the parks…
I just worry that they will end up loving one park over another and I’ll need to change plans with no park passes available!

What is the makeup of the rest of your group. I was going to suggest 1 day at HS and AK and 2 at MK and EP.

Sounds like you need to have your family complete a survey ahead of time a la @Jeff_AZ :joy:

2 Likes

I highly recommend it! :wink::joy:

1 Like

Wait a second…is this true? What does the survey say…I attempted a Disney family meeting and everyone said “whatever is fine” and thus the planning again rests on my shoulders!!

3 Likes

Here’s a link to my post where I included some screenshots of my survey that I sent out to my bro and sis in-law. It was very helpful!

2 Likes

Here is a simple quiz for your in-laws to take that may help determine which parks to visit the most.

3 Likes

This quiz is too easy to game if you’re familiar with the parks! :joy:

Reminds me of: “Do you enjoy having lunch with nice people … or having nice people for lunch?” :joy:

2 Likes

Hmmm, I wish I knew of someone who could make a better quiz…:thinking: :wink:

3 Likes

It probably works for newbies though! :wink:

1 Like

Wow. Interesting thread.

As an older person, touring more slowly with mobility issues I can’t imagine not having PH. Starting early, rest right after lunch, head to Epcot, probably.

Well, I don’t have to imagine, we had that scenario in December 2020. Didn’t care for it. Going back to the same park is as weird to me as is staying in a park for 6 or 8 hours at a time.

I miss out on the reasoning that only 4 days means PH aren’t as valuable.

But then, I’ve been going to WDW as an adult for hmm . . . 48 years come January 2022. When WDW = MK. Or you could monorail to every park - all 2 of them.

We’ve brought several newbies to the World over the years. I’ve usually done my own survey to gauge their interests, health issues, dining choices etc. Rarely do we do all 4 parks.* I figure they won’t know what they’re missing, and yet, they’ll still have a good time making great memories.

*only once for 4 and that was a 4 park wipeout, with 40-something newbies, and a 30 yo and a 15 yo veterans. Good memories there, too. :blush:

2 Likes

It’s debatable but my meaning was that since park hopping is a flat fee for 4+ days, the more days you go above that, the less it is on a per-day basis.

Also the longer I go to WDW, the more I like to wander around and take my time. If I’m there just four days, I like to power through each park one at a time. The exception is if I’m there for three days or less, I usually get park hopper so I can do two parks in one day and hit all four.

2 Likes