Park Touring and the Genie+ & ILL option

Maybe it gives you a return time corresponding to where it is in the plan rather than the predicted return time?

I considered thatā€¦but nope. Itā€™s just off that much.

3 Likes

Iā€™m stumped then. :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Thanks for this.

Itā€™s good that TP now allows you to override an RT, but itā€™s inconvenient that it lives in a separate Advanced section above the plan. Iā€™d like to see every manual ā€˜Obtain LLā€™ step allow an RT override if the user disagrees with the RT forecast, or has access to other methods of obtaining an LL.

4 Likes

I tried allowing TP to plan my LLs but I found that is wasnā€™t maximizing them. It wasnā€™t say get this at 7am. Sometimes it was get this at 10am for my first LL and it only suggested 2 a day. Now maybe my days werenā€™t jammed packed so the software only used an LL when it could ā€œsaveā€ time when needed. Saying if I had free time the system was ok with me using that up in a line rather than obtaining more LLs thereby generating even more free timeā€¦ just a thought on the few time I tried to use TP predictions for LLs.

5 Likes

My exact experience too when optimizingā€¦

2 Likes

Agreed.

I think, in the year since G+ launch, weā€™ve collectively learned to optimize for wait time and LL utilization, and be flexible on plan start/end time. TPā€™s tool isnā€™t really set up that way - itā€™s designed around a fixed start/end time, which I donā€™t think is as important as it once was.

Conversely, where I think we as a community need TPā€™s help, is taking ride/LL wait/walking times into account. We know our G+ priority list cold, in terms of which rides save the most standby wait time, but integrating that into a plan that avoids unnecessary park criss crossing is difficult.

5 Likes

Hey, if my local grocer would develop a TP type app, I would totally subscribe and follow the plan!
TP takes a lot of the guess work out and can do a lot. And TPs will save a lot of people tons of time. And thatā€™s the point right? We are the ā€œextraā€ ones. So it may not be fair to expect the software to be as ā€œextraā€ as we are. Once it gets better historical data with G+ I think they can get a better handle on things.
TP should roll back with the G+ predictions. I donā€™t think itā€™s ready. Itā€™s not giving good advice for LLs right now. But if you arenā€™t using LL or have your own list of practical attractions and return times, itā€™s great.

7 Likes

hahah! I make my grocery list ā€œin orderā€, like a TP plan. Everything in one section of the store goes in one place on the list, and the list is in order of the way I walk the store. It was stressful when they moved things around. :woman_facepalming:

3 Likes

I do too! I go to a local chain and I will usually just go to this one location becuase I can set up my list in exact order.

2 Likes

How accurate are people finding their TP for extended evening hours? Iā€™m doing one for Epcot and am getting waits of 20 min for TT, frozen and remy (even later in the second hour). Is this always the case?

1 Like

Hi everyone! Being in the parks this week, I wanted to report back that Iā€™ve found the updates for LL much better in the park. On the day of your actual plan, once the park opens, the LLs you add to your plan have a button pop up you can push and add your LL time once you get it as well as what time you booked it so it can track when youā€™re next eligible. Much nicer in real time than for planning!

Just realized a screenshot would help so Iā€™ll take one later today.

8 Likes

Examples!

5 Likes

Updated articles:

4 Likes

Thanks for this. Calling out some highlights from the articles:

Top G+ LLā€™s now save even more wait time than previously:

In October, only one attraction saved an average of more than 50 minutes compared to standby (Slinky Dog Dash), and non saved more than an hour. Now, weā€™ve got SEVEN attractions that save more than 50 minutes, and THREE that save more than an hour. This is big increased time savings at the very big headliners.

The increased savings arenā€™t just happening at the headliners, either. In October there were 10 attractions that saved an average of over 30 minutes compared to standby. Now that number is 16. Lots of 30-minute-or-more savings.

EPCOT, which used to be the obvious loser, still makes a strong case for itself. Two out of the top five time savings. Thatā€™s more than Animal Kingdom can claim. If you can actually reserve EPCOTā€™s top three (a hard thing to do given availability on medium and high crowd days), Genie+ at EPCOT may actually be ā€œworthā€ the purchase. It will likely require more walking though.

Hollywood Studios is a big winner, if you can catch it on a day where you can actually book and use multiple reservations before they all sell out for the day. Two attractions save over an hour each just by themselves (Slinky and Tower of Terror), and six different attractions average over 30 minutes of wait time savings. Not shabby.

Magic Kingdom is a good choice, just because of the sheer number of options. Several of them will save you significant time, but your real win will come from getting and using as many reservations as possible in order to boost your overall time saving.

Charts like the below from the 1st article for DHS are really useful for doing rough return time forecasting:

6 Likes

I guess Iā€™ll share this here. I believe Len talked about this specific testing on the Disney Dish.

ā€œComparing linear vs logarithmic growth in actual wait timesā€

7 Likes

This is a really cool article - itā€™s written by Len himself, and as someone who works in the field, I can tell a lot of thought went into it. Hereā€™s some of my takeaways:

• They recommend $ILL for RotR, as insurance against breakdowns, and allowing you to use valuable ETPE time on other rides. Iā€™ll add that for folks who donā€™t want to deal with G+ complexity, $ILLā€™s are much simpler.
  • MFSR posted waits are very inflated vs actual waits
  • Testing was done on CL9-10 days over Spring Break, so the plan should hold up under most conditions.
7 Likes

Loved this article ā€” been meaning to read it since Len mentioned it on Disney Dish. Iā€™m going to implement these tips and follow this plan for the most part when Iā€™m there next month.

3 Likes

Super helpful. Iā€™m headed to the World in mid-June and have been trying to figure out which days to do ILL vs G+ vs both (or even neither). Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

I think my trip is right after yours. Iā€™ll be curious to know how this works for you and your family.

1 Like