Paradise

Been do Disneyland more times than I can count, and we have APs. But I have never splurged for a Disney hotel. It is so hard to justify the cost. My dream is to stay at the DL hotel. I was looking at prices and Paradise pier is obviously the most affordable. But does it have the disney feel? Or should I just save a little more and spring for the DL Hotel?

1 Like

We stayed at Paradise Pier on our first and so far only trip to Disneyland. We really liked it. It had enough of a Disney feel for me, nothing over the top. We did eat and shop at the DL hotel. I didn’t feel deprived by being at PP for anything other than the shorter walk to get to Downtown Disney.

3 Likes

I love all the “on-property” hotels and unlike many others, I feel that there is the bubble feel. Yes you can stay at hotels that are just as close to the parks as you would “on-property” (with the exception of GCH), however as you walk-in, there are many reminders that you are outside of Disneyland. My last trip staying off-site as we were walking to the DLR entrance, a homeless man was defecating on the grass. This is an extreme instance, but there are also numerous other less extreme instances that I can name that have made me appreciate when I can swing a stay onsite.

PPH was our first experience staying on-site and it was wonderful. We were able to get a park view room and watched WoC from our room (very magical!). I want to say we have stayed there 5-6 times over the years and each stay was great. We haven’t stayed there in a while, and have been staying at DLH more. I love the grounds at the DLH and really feel like I am on vacation there, however I will say I prefer the rooms at PPH.

I think the “Disney feel” is subjective. I personally would say there is plenty of a Disney feel, but I have heard others complain that they don’t agree. I think if your dream is to stay at the DLH you should! You can try and shop for a time when the costs are lower. We actually ended up at the DLH a couple of years ago due to the fact that it was cheaper than the rooms that were available at PPH. After that I was hooked! We have been staying there (minus two stays at GCH, which was nice for the convenience, but doesn’t have the same feel as the DLH for me). My husband and I love to get coffee in the morning and walk the grounds of the DL hotel on our last day before we leave (we can do that now in peace with teen boys) and visit the museum like displays in each of the towers. Also the pools are not to be beat at DLH! Let me know if you have any questions.

3 Likes

DLH. Make your dream come true amiga!!!
Now I’m humming “I have a dream” from Tangled.
I blame you completely.

4 Likes

DLH! I love it so much. Don’t get me wrong, PPH is a good hotel and we enjoyed our 1 stay there. But DLH is amazing with all the little touches, and the grounds are wonderful. Throw in Trader Sam’s and the cool pool and slides, and it is a winner every time.

3 Likes

yeah , but I’m thinking I might want to wait a while after the pandemic, We just went to wdw and while the trip was good, there is definitely a different feel to it!! I want my first onsite DL trip to be limit-less!!! unless of course they have a price thats too good to be true

3 Likes

We’ve stayed at the Disneyland Hotel (original) and GC. We got an incredible military discount 40% off. I would stay in GC again cuz of the location and you can look out and see the park. The DLH was cool cuz it was the original but didn’t feel as close or have the same energy. It’s much cheaper going to WDW. We’ve calculated that one week of WDW is the equivalent of 3 days at DL; staying on property.

2 Likes

As far as hotels goes, yes you can easily stay on property for a lot less in wdw. but for me, wdw trips are not cheaper!! We stay longer and have to factor in airfare and park tickets. I can go to DL alot easier , I live 4 hours away and we have always had APs

2 Likes

oh, I was just comparing rooms, tickets… I didn’t consider proximity but that’s a valid point to consider.

2 Likes

I haven’t stayed at PPH, but I can vouch for DLH and GCH as fantastic options! Personally I prefer the GCH for convenience and atmosphere. With young kids, every extra step back to the hotel counts. Plus I love the lodge feel.

DLH has its own brand of Disney magic though. It’s classic and has a storied history that goes back to the earliest days of the park.

PPH feels a tad further away but still better than almost all third party hotels. And you can get great views of the parks.

2 Likes