Paradise Pier Hotel

This week’s Micechat Update had some scathing words about the current state of the Paradise Pier Hotel, including sharing this review:

However, it sounds like once the pool is refurbished, the new entrance to DCA opened, and all the other perks returned, this could become a decent option again.

Anyone stayed here recently have thoughts? I always steer people away from PPH since the Harbor hotels are cheaper and just as close.

And if you can catch a sale Disneyland Hotel is always not significantly more and the better choice.

2 Likes

We’ve only ever stayed at PPH the one time on (one of?) the last RunDisney event that happened at DLR (I think it was Jan 2017). There was an AP Deal that we used to book it and priced out DLH and GCH as well. We ended up picking a Theme Park View PPH room because that was about the same price as a standard DLH room and we hadn’t ever tried the PPH. After doing the theme park view room, I don’t think I would ever do a PPH standard room and that’s even considering that with that booking I would have the perks that existed before (early entry AND the proximity to and ease of booking character dining).

PPH not having any grounds ever before and right now no restaurant makes it all the more easy to consider any and all alternatives. That being said, my DD9 still asks when we will stay there again because she has such fond memories of the hotel from our one stay in 2017 and the feel for her of the lobby/rooms was enough of a feel that she doesn’t think it’s significantly lesser than DLH (but in fairness she was under 3 the one time we stayed at DLH so she probably doesn’t remember it at all, whereas she does remember the one time at PPH when she was almost 4).

That’s interesting that they now allow access to GCH from PPH. The last time we were that direction was Sept 2021 and they have installed an official gate that you either have to have security open for you or badge into with a room key (maybe the PPH room keys work on it? but we were staying at a motel down that way so our hotel key definitely wasn’t gonna do the trick :rofl:).

1 Like

I stayed at PPH early March. My party had 3 rooms and all were clean. I found the room to be quiet and comfortable. Dining has never been great at PPH since breakfast was a character meal, and dinner was always understaffed so long waits to be seated. Cutting through GCH certainly helps. Just had to show our PPH room key to the guard and he let us through. After the first day he recognized us so didn’t have to keep showing them. I do miss the early entry perk, but still like staying onsite when I can afford it.

4 Likes

If hypothetically your cost for DLH or PPH was the same, is there any reason you’d prefer PPH?

1 Like

If the cost was the same, I’d much prefer DLH, but when I went PPH was cheaper so stayed there.

3 Likes

So I just asked my DD9 who has historically been all-in that she would rather stay at PPH over DLH so I wanted to her to remind me of her reasons why she just love PPH so much. She did say the beachy theme reminds her of the now gone Ariel’s Grotto restaurant and Paradise Pier in DCA ( :broken_heart:) but then said something about fireworks headboards. So we ended up pulling up pictures of each hotel so she could figure out which was which in her head. I think she has both of our onsite stays at DL conflated as one trip (which makes sense because she was fairly young for both and they were only a year apart)

Her final answer: while she did still throw out some love for the beachy theming of PPH, she would prefer the fireworks headboard.

SO, I’d have to say the only reason to chose PPH over DLH is if the price was right and/or you were a fan of a beachy vibe and didn’t care so much for the nostalgic classic Disney theme at DLH. But then you may be at the wrong destination all together if that’s your reasoning…

2 Likes

That’s awesome that they now let PPH guests through! We were staying at the Eden Roc motel right next to the new Westin when we were passing that way and so of course we knew we wouldn’t be able to access the GCH to get to the parks, but boy oh boy did we love and make use of the shortcut back to our room. Makes the PPH a little bit more attractive, especially if they ever get early entry (or later hours even) perks back.

1 Like

I would rate it 3rd out if the 3 properties and if the price was right I would stay again. I loved the character breakfast and the roof top bar was lovely. Stayed there once right before Covid and had no complaints except price and the slow elevator. Honestly Imo when a complaint starts with “Walt would turn over in his grave” I tend to think theatrics and tune out. Most of the complaints are stated on the website. No early entry, no room service, no onsite restaurant, pool remodeling, etc. Sad to spend that kind of money and not check. If perks come back and prices on Harbor keep rising I’d actually recommend PPH.

3 Likes

Just saw this news:

Anyone have any info about when the pool might reopen? What about the early entry perk? I read that this and other things will start “later this summer” and wonder when that is. I’m staying at PP last week of June and am hoping for some perks and amenities to justify the cost.

1 Like

They were very vague on the dates, but I’ll keep an eye out for more info!

1 Like

They are allowing PPH guests to use the DLH pool while it is closed.

2 Likes

I’ve stayed at GCH and DLH since reopening but not PPH. I have, however, stayed there many times over the years and really liked it. It has a smaller footprint than the others and the rooms are brighter (hoping they stay that way after the remodel) and slightly bigger. I know amenities are slim right now, but I actually think the DL site does a decent job of warning you (banners during booking at PPH mention pool construction, etc.; that “know before you go” link is plastered at the top of every page; the PPH page shows what’s still closed/unavailable), though the dirty room reference in the OP is hard to excuse. I’d stay there again if it were a good savings vs. DLH, especially as DLH also has its woes right now with DVC tower and DTD construction. The DCA entrance will be a big plus when it’s ready.

1 Like

I check in on June 27 and I’m still holding out hope for the return of some perks and amenities. I know they will allow us to use the DLR pool, which is in many regards the superior pool area, but I’d rather have access to the pool at the resort where I’m staying. My biggest wish is for the return of early entry. I need that extra hour!

1 Like

Update: I just called and was told that the pool is open, but still no onsite restaurants, including The Sandbar.

2 Likes

Sounds like the walking path into DCA opened today! BREAKING: New Walking Path and Entrance from Paradise Pier Hotel Now Open - Parksavers.com

3 Likes