Our budget for a family of 5 +a WWYD situation

Trip for a family of 5 (4 of which need tickets)
7 night, 8 day trip
(It will cost us approx 10% less due to hitting up everyone and their mother (literally) for the 10% off Disney GC at Costco, but I’m not taking that into consideration for this illustration)

Lodging: $3165 (7 nights in a wilderness cabin)
Tickets: $2073 (2 10+, 2 3-9, 5 day base tickets)
Food: $1500
Memory Maker share: $30
Genie+ and ILL: $320
Souvenirs: $500
Total: $7588

I have paid for the tickets, and then potentially have an additional $4074 in Disney GC. Let’s say I decide to stay for 6 nights and 7 days at a condo 20 minutes from WDW for $250 (that includes cleaning fees and everything).

All of a sudden my lodging price is $250, saving $2945.
I have $4,074 in Disney gift cards, but all of a sudden all I need is $2050 to cover the rest of the trip costs that I planned for.

What do I do with the remaining $2,024? Given my choice, I would tag on some days at a Disney resort after the condo with some extra park days, to make up for being 20 minutes away which is likely cutting in to my park time quite a bit. How many park days could I add? Where would I stay? I still thinking a cabin would be great. It would cost about $1125 for 3 extra nights. Maybe with the money we could even stay in a Nemo suite, which the kids would love. Idk. I’m mostly just having fun entertaining the idea

I guess the real question is:
What is staying on site worth to you? We have stayed offsite only once and landed definitively in “not a fan.” But also, extremely economical in comparison. But we can afford onsite right now. And we are a growing family that likely, one day, will outgrow staying onsite. And the $250 condo opportunity theoretically isn’t going away…. So yeah. We’ll probably stick with our original plan. But it’s fun to think and imagine. I was inspired by the other “wwyd with $300” and “wwyd with an extra day” posts. And thought it might be fun to share our budget. It’s always interesting to see others’ budgets.

2 Likes

I would probably stay on site because you do get some benefits and I like staying in Disney resorts better than offsite

At their current prices this would get you maybe 2 days. How many days do you plan to utilize G+ (or whatever the new service is)

1 Like

2 days. We’re also going during a historically low crowd time, so I took into account the lower prices.

1 Like

You will use some of it to pay for getting to the theme parks. If you have a vehicle, you will have to pay to park at the theme parks each day. If you don’t have a vehicle, you have to pay for rideshare, etc (assuming the condo does not include transportation).

With the ages of your children, if you are off-site you will probably need to stay together, no splitting up for naps, etc. If you’re on-site, it’s much easier to do split groups as needed because of the WDW transportation (no one gets stranded).

2 Likes

Were you planning on cooking most of your meals in the cabin? Can you do that in the condo? You were estimating $40 a day in food per person (estimate)?

2 Likes

I’m an onsite snob :woman_shrugging:t3: It’s just how it is. It physically feels different to me inside that bubble. Might be real. Might be imagined. But it’s my experience.

I will stay offiste only as a gateway - the night before my trip really begins or at the end, the night before an early flight.

2 Likes

$1200 for food seems really, really low. DD20 and I just went and we spent at least that much for 8 days. We shared an app and meal at skipper Canteen and San Angel Inn. Other TS were Ohana, Round Up Rodeo, and Topolino breakfast. Otherwise we shared snacks and 3 QS meals. Would two rooms at Pop or an All Stars save money for onsite lodging? I’ve done off property once in 15+ trips and won’t do it again. The hassle of driving to parks, huge parking lots, traffic, etc. were not magical.

3 Likes

Did you look at convention tickets to save money?

1 Like

We have our own vehicle. Gas is a separate budget. Parking is about the only thing extra there! There’s probably some room in that $2000 for that :wink:

1 Like

Yes! That price is convention

1 Like

That cost is mostly for my spouse and I. Our kids are 5, 4, and 1. The 4 year old and 1 year old will eat off our plates. The 5 year old probably won’t touch any food in a restaurant and will exclusively eat food that we bring with us

2 Likes

This right here is why I’d stick to on property. You are losing convenience AND it will cost you an additional $2050. If it’s going to cost more, I’d stick with my plans since you already have it paid for.

2 Likes

After some more inspection, I’m bumping food to $1500.

We spent $1200 as a family of 4 in 2020 for a longer trip (by two nights) while staying in yacht club where we couldn’t cook any of our own food.

This time we have an extra family member, but a shorter trip, staying in a place where we can cook our own food, with fewer table service planned (only rainforest cafe, Sanaa, and Topolino’s), adjusting for inflation, $1500 will be sufficient.

That makes sense!

That’s a good idea. Topolino’s alone with tip will cost almost $200.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, I looked into two rooms at all stars which would save us $149. The kitchen/fridge in a cabin definitely make up for that cost difference with the opportunity for saving money on food costs.

1 Like

Oh yes, tip is definitely accounted for.

Girl, you’re staying at a WL Cabin
And now you’re looking at All Stars?

I can promise you with Cabin asiprations, two rooms at All Stars is not going to scratch that itch

2 Likes

No, for sure not! @JenniferB1975 asked if I had looked at double rooms at a value to see if I could save money on lodging.

It’s been so long since I looked at lodging that I didn’t remember if I looked at two rooms or what the price difference was, so out of curiosity, I investigated. It would have to be significant savings for me to even consider it! Definitely not for $150 :joy:

2 Likes

Tom Bricker just updated his onsite v offsite article yesterday in case that helps you with weighing pros and cons: Off-Site vs. On-Site Hotels at Disney World - Disney Tourist Blog

1 Like