Orlando Informer Meet-up

We had a lot of fun on the rides. It was less lines than EP so worth it for that. I knew Velocicoaster was a gamble it just bummed me out we didn’t get lucky. But DD said she had a great bday so it’s a win and cupcakes and balloons were awaiting her back at the room. :wink:

8 Likes

Quick follow-up questions about the event:

• It looked like it was multiple lines for check-in and people were lining up early. Once the process officially started, was the line quick moving? And as the night progressed did the line die down before or after official event start?

• Also, confirmation that the only spot to check in was from City Walk and one would be unable to do so from the park?

• I see that TS restaurants stop reservations at 5:30-ish for the Dec meet-up, were quick service/carts also closed after official start? (we want the option to pay for food we want if there aren’t good free options or there are long lines)

• Lastly, do all members of the party have to be there to pick up passes or could I leave the boys in the park, run out and grab everyone’s passes and meet them back inside? (DH HATES lines and DS looks to be of that same mindset).

The line moved quickly and started to move a little earlier than 3pm and they let you right into the park. The two lines are for which park you’re told to enter first. Yea, you check in from in front of HRCafe; we’ll that’s where the line is but check in is where BlueManGroup was. I didn’t try to do quick service before 8pm start so I can’t answer if you can pay b/w 7-8pm. And I don’t know if they’ll let you get everyone’s bands but I don’t see why not because just the person that pays has to be there. But the entrance in is from right after you pickup bands.

1 Like

I just remembered there was someone in line with us at Velicoaster and the mom went and checked them in while the daughter held the place in line so you can do that.

1 Like

There was no line at all to check in at 7pm on either day.

2 Likes

Pretty much, but it was waaaaay backed up when we arrived on Friday.

The process was definitely smoother on Saturday than Friday. Maybe 15-20 min less to checkin on Sat? We got there about 30 min earlier on Sat, but the line didn’t seem to be building at all, so they’d done something differently.

When we switched parks at about 4:30pm on Sat there was a minimal line to checkin.

I put details in my trip report with times for our experience on both. Friday checkin states here:

My understanding was there were 2 checkin locations on Citywalk and you were assigned which one to checkin, USF and I assume the other was IOA (but that’s an assumption). Someone needed to physically check in your party to get wristbands, and you had to check in separately each day, even if attending both days. We were coming from outside the parks and I was told to bring my entire party so I’ll defer to the others’ info about parties already inside the parks.

From what I could tell, one hour after the event started, everything that was open was free (except alcohol). There were LOTS of options open. The long lines I saw were for specific popular locations.

I’m not sure about the one hour gap between park close and free starting. The only open option at that time from what I personally observed was the Bonus Bites, which may have been a bit picked over by then, so you might avoid eating during that time.

1 Like

@Bubblez: there were two lines, one for USF and one for IOA, I can confirm because we got in USF and were told to move to the IOA line which was significantly shorter

1 Like

We were in the left line both times and they let us cut over from the IOA to USF side of registration when we asked right after we checked in on Sat. But not after we (cluelessly) got to the entrance to IOA on Fri.

1 Like

Yeah it was not clearly marked. I wouldn’t have known if someone didn’t yell it as they walked by

2 Likes

When I looked on Sat, there were signs, but I didn’t even know to look on Fri. (Well, assuming they were there on Fri.). But if you don’t know it’s even a thing…

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your experiences!

For those who are planning the Dec 3/4 events, online restaurant booking just became available. I was able to get both a Toothsomes and Mythos, but for some reason Cowfish shows every thing as booked up to December except for 2 or 3 days later this month.

1 Like

Did you switch to December 3/4? :frowning: I’ll be there December 10. We’re supposed to have a liner meet! :sob: (pardon my drama! :joy:)

1 Like

I’ll still be there the 10th!! I wouldn’t miss it for the world! :blue_heart: We’re in the bubble the first 2 weeks, with weekends at UOR.

1 Like

Got it! Yay! I’m happy again! :blush:

1 Like

I couldn’t find a recent thread for the new dates so I’m bumping this thread (in the hopes that someone tags me if I miss the dates for December!).

June 3rd and 4th 2022 dates announced. Two-day tickets are already sold out but individual tickets are still for sale!

https://meetup.orlandoinformer.com/summer/

2 Likes

June is TOO hot for me.

2 Likes

Agree.

Just this morning I saw a house come on the market in Reunion that would have been perfect for us. But none of us are ready to sign up for those summers again yet.

1 Like

You’re smart! Smarter than me! The family knows how much I HATE hot weather and keep asking, “Why did you move to Florida again?!?”
“For Disney” I reply.

1 Like

So… it’s been nearly 2 years since I started this thread!

I’m planning out my travel dates and am still on the fence about the Orlando Informer Meet-up.

Is it worth it??

Everyone talks about the “free” food.

I’ve gone through every menu the event typically offers and picked out all the items I’d try over the course of two nights. The individual item costs pay for the event ticket. However, in order to not be overstuffed with food, you’ve to just “sample” and trash a lot of food.

For the same amount of money, as an OIM ticket, I could still visit the parks with my AP and eat full size portions over the course of many days. (Actually sitting down to full meals at a couple restaurants.) I really don’t think I could eat all this food in two nights. I struggled to eat half of what I planned in my last trip. Also, a LOT of this event food is me just eating “something” from each Land. Do I really need to eat 2 burgers and 2 slices of pizza and all 5 WWOHP drinks in one night AND a handful of other items?

The only other reason I want to go is getting to ride Pteranodon Flyers. It looks like a lot of fun, but you only get one ride each night from what I’ve seen. It is my “holy grail” of my Universal bucket list though!

I’ve done all the rides before and walked around the parks with low crowds. My other travel dates should all be “off-season”. I’m not concerned about queues and such due to this. However, I did see a YT video where they said Hagrid’s was a 15 minute wait (posted) during the OIM event. That would be cool! It’s also fun to have no lines to do wand spells late at night! There are a lot of positives to the event.

It’s not about the money. I have it all budgeted it. I was already planning to go around the weekend they will be doing this in December – it’s my birthday. If I don’t attend the OIM event then the parks close at 6pm that weekend. (I could also arrive the Monday after the event and stay the week. Then eat / do all this over the course of a week.)

Talk me into or out of going. The vlogs and photos posted here make it look like fun!! I could RD solo and stay until midnight (16+ hours of WHOA!) What would you do?? 2 – 3 long days in the parks stuffing yourself versus 4 -5 “normal” days eating as much / whatever you want (probably expanding the treat budget of my other planned trips too)

1 Like

Ive missed the lottery for the Flyers twice and was still able to ride both meets. The TM’s were pretty laid back there. If you go just sort of meekly ask. At least that worked for me!

1 Like