One week out: What am I forgetting?

One week to go until our first (and quite possibly only) trip (while the kids are little). Because of this reality, I’m wanting to get all the pressure off NOW, rather than when we get there. It’s a vacation, after all, and vacations should be enjoyable and at least somewhat relaxing, right?

Forecast is up, so clothes are packed. Just got our travel documents in the mail (I need to look through what to do, there). Have ADRs and FPs done and touring plans made, and room requests in. I’ve tried to familiarize myself loosely with the layout of the parks, and made lists of the eateries we would prefer to stop at by area, rather than stumbling into one at random. (We are big offenders of “Where do you want to eat? I don’t care, where do YOU want to eat?”)

Anything prep-wise you would suggest to a newbie so I don’t do a facepalm as soon as we get there? :wink:

I like to make sure I have the little things that will allow me to deal with any emergencies or will increase my comfort in some way. Sunscreen and sweat make my phone a greasy mess so I make sure I have something to clean it with. I bring a cut up sponge soaked in dish detergent to make sure I can really wash the refillable mugs- I bring cream in case someone has a reaction to the sun…

You sound like you have the touring all set- extra shoes?

Good call on the screen cleaner - it will be good for sunglasses, too.

I have an extra set of shoes packed for everyone…except me. Apparently, I only have one pair of sneakers. Heh. Walking sandals?

How big/awkward are the refillable mugs? I keep envisioning those awful things that zoos offer. I am toying with the idea of bringing a water bottle, but if the mugs are easier to transport, I can leave ours at home. We will probably only carry one bottle around the parks. It’s not supposed to be brutally hot, and stopping for water will be a welcome break for the kids.

1 Like

Just back (cool weather). I had a water bottle but there are water fountains at every restroom. So if you like to travel light and it is not too hot, you will do well with one refillable water bottle.

1 Like

Can you walk 8 to 10 miles in the sandals without getting tired feet. Back up pair of broken in sneakers.

Remember take a rest if your children are cranky and tired. Do less, enjoy more. You are the best judge of what they need.

1 Like

That’s my philosophy! People would probably be amazed at just how sparse our TPs are. :wink: We are going for the experience, not necessarily the attractions.

We’ve had discussions with the kids that, if they get tired, they need to ask to take a break, and we will! (To build stamina, we’ve also been trying to take walks as often as possible when the high temp is NOT single digits…)

1 Like

On the issue of cell phones, when we were there this past December, DW discovered that putting the phone in a small zip-lock bag allowed her to use the phone easily, and protected it from water or other messy substances. Another thing that we found invaluable was moleskin. Even with well broken-in shoes, I needed some on both feet by the second day. Its easy to cut into useful sized pieces ahead of time, and put in another zip-lock bag along with band-aids and antiseptic cream. Actually, taking a stack of large and small zip-locks are a great asset. Finally, cheap ponchos for everyone, maybe two. We got great use out of $1.25 Target ponchos.
Enjoy your trip.

2 Likes

@longwalk just made me think- do you have a portable charger?

2 Likes

Great idea…I forgot all about that…another very handy accessory. Sure beats having to find a charging port.

1 Like

Plenty of zip-lock bags in a variety of sizes. Zip-lock bags are the traveler’s duck tape - a thousand uses. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Tiki birds, Country Bears and Hall of Presidents are air conditioned entertaining rest areas. If you are not on property go to Poly and rest in the lobby. Can also do the same at other resorts.

1 Like

Good for leftover pastries at BOG breakfast.

1 Like

I bought some higher quality ponchos. They take up more room than anticipated, but they are hot pink. I figure we will at least stand out. :wink:

I saw ziplocks mentioned somewhere else, so I have a couple of 3 different sizes already packed.

And I also just ordered a lightweight backpack for my husband, so I am not the only pack mule at the park! I hereby surrender my ticket to martyrdom.

2 Likes

I have an extended battery case, so I hope that will be enough.

2 Likes

My husband always totes around a backpack. I travel lighter and got a bagalinni bag for my last trip.

I adore baggallini. I just ordered a bigger crossbody than the skinny one I have. Between that and my (small) camera case, I’ll be loaded down enough.

You forgot caurousel of progress in tommorowland. Also air conditioned good break.

1 Like

Thank you! I’m making my list of rest options now!

I have done at least five summer trips. There are there types of rides. Air conditioned, restful and fun. Splash mountain is fun. I forgot another. Monster’s Laugh floor is fun and can be restful. Buzz is air conditioned and fun.

Marshalls has a wide selection of bagalinni bags.