Ollivander's Registration Process?

I’ve read that with the current COVID-19 safety procedures that to get into the Ollivander’s wand selection show in Diagon Alley, you need to register now, but not how that works. Does anyone know how that process works? Do we just need to find a Universal staff member outside the shop? Thanks!

2 Likes

Oh I’m following this
Good question

As of this week they are only admitting one party per room. I haven’t seen or heard of a reservations process. However, this is making the wait times insane since they are doing the show for individuals / small families instead of filled rooms of 30+

2 Likes

Ugh. I knew Diagon Alley gets crowded and planned to do it early but shopping isn’t really my idea of a RD attraction. My daughter is interested but this isn’t at the top of her list so we may save it for a future trip.

1 Like

The good side of this is you know you / your child will be “chosen” to be in the show. If that helps!

2 Likes

This is helpful. Thank you!

Last I heard you reserve a spot/time. So I’d rope drop to get a return time.

1 Like

In December 2020 you had to wait in a line (no VQ) and they took one party per room.

How long was your wait and what was the crowd level?

When we went in February 2020, we were prepared to get DD the best shot at being picked our first try. I coached her to speak loudly and clearly while we were in line, and I asked her what she hoped would be the core of her wand. Probably didn’t hurt we were all wearing either handmade or purchased robes. She was picked.
If they only take one family at a time, I can see that would take the pressure off.

Universal has now reversed the Ollivander experience. They will take up to ten people in the room at a time and then spread the groups out once they are in the room. This means there is less of a chance for you to get chosen, but it is still more likely than it was pre-covid.
When I was there a few months ago, you had to head towards Gringott’s Money Exchange. Right across from there were some wooden benches and right behind there you will see a witch or wizard with a clipboard. You go to them and sign up for a return time. If it is a weekend or a high crowd day I would say do this asap as the slots fill up. I was there one day and within 35 minutes of park opening then Ollivander’s was booked for the day. Another day, I believe it was a Tuesday, my son and I wandered up around 1:10pm and were able to book a return time at 3:35pm. When your time arrives, you come back to the same location and let them know you are there for your return time. They mark that you have arrived and have you get in a line on some social distancing markers. Then they call your name and you can go in.

8 Likes

Thank you. 10 people sounds like a reasonable compromise.

When we went pre-covid, I’d heavily researched how to maximize DD’s chances of being selected, and we used them all. DD was selected. We are going with another family in April and that girl will want a wand. Her chances will be much better than DD between looking 12 and she’ll be the only one out of our group of 6 that will be eager to do it.

2 Likes

Can you choose a later time or do you have to take the next available time? Like if you show up and the next time is 11:00 can you take 1:00 instead?

Thanks!

1 Like

They’re no longer taking advance times. You just wait in line for the experience and go when it is your turn.

3 Likes

Haven’t been back yet (mid-May is next trip!), but sounds like reservations are back for the spring break crowd…

1 Like

I’ll be there end of April to early May. So, I’ll be able to give a post-Spring Break update on that.

3 Likes

We did Ollivander’s in Hogsmeade last night. It was a standby line. We never saw it under what looked like an hour wait but sometimes it was longer. TM said to expect about 10 minutes per group. We were the second to last group and waited just under an hour. (Got in right about 9:00.)

I do not know if they took reservations earlier in the day, but definitely not in the evening.

6 Likes

Thanks for update. I just read that they are standby during early park admission, start taking reservations at 800am (and quickly fill up for the day), and then reopen standby at 7pm. Don’t know how accurate that is, but may explain why it was standby for you in the evening. Glad you got in—and that’s about what we waited in early January, so not bad for spring break.

4 Likes

That could be what happened. But there was a line throughout the day. Those folks might have been waiting for their reservation however.

So, it sounds like rope dropping it at EA is the way to go.

2 Likes

I wonder if it is like a ride, where as long as you are in line, they will do it? Of course you wouldn’t want an abbreviated show.