Okay, Poll Time! When do you think WDW theme parks will re-open to guests?

No problem. This poll reminds me of what my mother often told me, “If you don’t like the answer, don’t ask the question.” I was being facetious. :roll_eyes:

The real answer to the poll is we’ll know when Disney tells us.

I think the better poll question is how one feels about WDW visitors assuming all corona virus risks. MSN

Ok. I am relieved.

The coronavirus risk assumption disclaimer should have been expected, it is the logical thing to do for Disney.

2 Likes

I kinda thought all along I assumed all Covid-19 risks as regards my health. :thinking:

1 Like

Exactly

I have always assumed risk if I got sick at DW or on any other vacation, but some people are sue happy.

1 Like

Disney messaging can be anywhere from:

You are safe here. Our safety measures are enough. We got you covered.

To:

Come at your own risk, there is a pandemic going on, be prepared to get sick.

It is not about legal issues, it is about brand and trust.

Are they going to reopen the parks without promising safety? Would they promise safety without being able to deliver?

1 Like

I’ve probably been sick after a Disney visit more times than not sick. Usually figured it was my own dumb fault for not washing my hands more.

:woman_facepalming:

I agree - there is some trust in the brand. For me, it’s up to a point.
Regarding ride safety: I expect design and build diligence. As well as proper and reasonable maintenance. If we are unaware of a hidden medical situation, I figure it’s the luck of the draw.
We did drive down last September expecting to meet Hurricane Dorian at Disney and we did, a little. I expect to be reasonably safe from a hurricane at Disney, not because they are interested in protecting me, but because they’re protecting their investment.
As regards illness, a certain amount of preparation and adjustment is reasonable on Disney’s part, but mostly I feel my health safety is up to me, based on what I know and the precautions I [remember to :wink: ] take.
If I felt Disney were being cavalier, I could always choose to stay home.

2 Likes

I would love to say June or July or August, but if the poll is about when all 4 parks will be open to guests, then my guess is not until fall…most likely late fall.

I could see them dipping their toe in the water with one park with severely restricted attractions and shows in late summer, but all four parks does not feel to me like it will be quick.

There are so many bottle necks in the walkways, queues, ride vehicles, show seats, etc. that it is no small feat to figure out how to do it safely while obeying restrictions imposed at county, state and federal levels.

My guess is that we will not see all four parks until one or multiple vaccines are shot into the arms of a large number of people. This will most likely have to happen via the emergency release protocol (whatever that is) so that it happens before the 12-18 months we keep hearing about.

Sorry for being in such a bummer mood :weary::tired_face:

I think Disney is going to have to make a reasonable effort to enforce the mask and social distancing policies. If guests are told certain measures will be in place and they assume liability for themselves based on those measures and then the measures are non existent, Disney is opening themselves up for a successful gross negligence lawsuit.

It’s different from most instances where it is the action of a guest that puts themselves at risk by letting a safety guideline slide. Letting these slide puts other guests at risk who are in no way complicit in the safety violation.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for the responses.

I expected optimism when asking a bunch of WDW fan(atic)s, but you guys are for the most part really optimists. Well over half of you think it will be re-opened in less than two months.

Disney is a corporation that has to first consider the potential legal liability of re-opening. I’ve always thought that this is the most important consideration in deciding to re-open.

Personally, I think this release by WDW speaks about liability volumes to their plans for reopening.

Consider that release in conjunction with this article by a Georgia State Univ. Law Professor who specializes in legal issues of virus outbreaks.

Based on what I read in this article, that release was the first line in the legal defense of WDW against Covid-19 lawsuits. This alone is not enough, strict safety standards will need to be in place. But to sue a business about getting Covid-19, you would have to prove the business was careless. Looks to me like that WDW is trying to be anything but careless and to work on re-opening properly and cautiously.

5 Likes

It depends so much on what will actually happen in terms of coronavirus infections.

Some hypothetical scenarios:

1. People who visited WDW are just as likely to have covid one month later as people who didn’t

2. People who visited WDW are slightly more likely to catch it, but no noticeable trends or clusters

3. There are some identifiable clusters connected to WDW (for instance, 100 people who rode Soarin one day at 10am where infected)

4. People who visited WDW are much more likely to have covid one month later than people who didn’t

5. The entirety of WDW was a gigantic superspreader event on the few weeks it stayed opened

If something like 1 or 2 happens, I agree that Disney didn’t do anything wrong and it was a risk that the visitors took when travelling. But beginning at 3, you get to the territory of Disney reopening without enough measures, encouraging risky behavior and promoting a false sense of security.

I do believe Disney would not risk being a covid hotspot, and that they would only open if they had some level of confidence that WDW is not more dangerous than the rest of the world.

When Shanghai Disneyland reopened, public transit, schools, restaurants, shops and manufacturers all had already reopened.

I’m wondering how valid the Shanghai comparison is. There are a lot of differences.

Disney’s bottom line is of course profit. Without CMs they have less profit. My expectation is that the CMs health and well being is ahead of any guest’s.

I completely understand your last 3 scenarios and the fear they generate. #3 could be probable - look at the night club guy in S Korea. #4 is almost always true with me if you substitute “any illness” for covid.
I’m unable to see #5 happening. Some irresponsible bars around the US, yes, maybe.

Are these no longer the case?: 80% will contract Covid-19. Of those with Covid-19 80% will have no or mild symptoms. At least 97% who contract Covid-19 will recover.

As long as the above is relevant I’m unable to be very afraid of Covid-19.

3 Likes

I do agree here. I think Disney’s plans are going to be, first and foremost, protecting their CMs. If they are protected, then everyone else is as well. And if any lawsuits happen, it would most likely be from CMs who felt they were not adequately protected.

2 Likes
  1. Depending on when we get a vaccine and how long we maintain social distancing / flatten the curve, we may preempt 80% of people contracting COVID naturally. Those who get the vaccine will have much better chance of mild to no symptoms and much lower chance of death.

2. 80% mild symptoms is probably the high end of the range, but plausible

3. 97% is the low end of the survival rate - up to 99.5% depending on the average age of the population and other factors. This means that for any one person, your risk of death is very low. But that’s actually a very high death rate across a population, and justifies all the measures we’re taking.

It’s kind of an interesting dynamic, because COVID is just deadly enough to be catastrophic to society, but just below the threshold where any one person should be too worried. I suspect this is a major driver of some of the political discord.

11 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking as I typed my response.

Because of others I wear a mask where required. I wash my hands. And wash my hands. And wash my hands. And social distance.

4 Likes

Exactly everything you just said.

A way to put a 1% IFR* (depending on demographics) in perspective for me, was doing the math for how likely it would be for someone in my family to die from it. If my entire family catches it, there would be a 20% chance someone would die (using our particular demographics and risk factors). 20% is not abismal odds, but it is really uncomfortable.

*I know estimates vary between 0,5 and 1,5, but it is easier to do the math with 1.

3 Likes

We take risks every time we get out of bed. If I get sick on a trip to Disney World, why on earth would I hold the park responsible? I know why they do the disclaimer though, we live in a very litigious society.

4 Likes

I wasn’t that worried because we don’t have any of the risk factors, but then a healthy 40 year old without risk factors that my husband works with got it. He was in ICU on a ventilator for about 20 days. He has to do all sorts of physio (i.e. for the muscle loss that has limited his mobility) and respiratory therapy. Changes your perspective when you know someone who shouldn’t have been at risk of serious complications.

6 Likes

I have a question, that I’m hoping a regular will be able to answer: I’ve been searching trying to find a post that was actually a link to a recording of 4 people discussing (3 men, 1 woman) the possibilities of how WDW would handle the reopening of the parks in a pandemic. It was so nice to listen to them and they said they might have a chat again. How do I search for it? Does anyone remember this and know if it’s a regular thing? The woman was a travel agent. Thanks in advance for anything :wink: