Ohana Breakfast or Kona Cafe?

Ok liners, I’ve got breakfast options: what do you say?
Is the Tonga toast make Kona worth it?
Is O’hana sans characters worthwhile?

1 Like

This may be an unpopular opinion but I didn’t like the Tonga toast. I thought it was too much bread and dry inside. The pancakes they have at Kona were delicious, though. Ohana is a more traditional family style Disney breakfast so I guess it depends what you want. I can’t advise on the characters.

5 Likes

No to Tonga Toast, too sweet. But yes, to Macadamia nut Pancakes at Kona!

5 Likes

Yes! That’s the pancakes I meant!! So good!

2 Likes

Another vote for macadamia nut pancakes(with Kona pressed pot).

2 Likes

Kona > 'Ohana

2 Likes

In '86, '87. and '88 I would have said Tonga Toast. When I had it in 2018 it was not that good.
If I went back, I would get the pancakes.

4 Likes

In '82, Tonga Toast at Tangaroa Terrace was fantastic. But in July '19, I was very disappointed in what Kona had. Too much bread (too thick and dry). Either choose something else at Kona or do 'Ohana. It depends on how much you want to spend, and to eat.

2 Likes

The thing is, 'Ohana is just … breakfast. Nothing special. Eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, waffles.

Nothing special at all.

2 Likes

Add me to the list of people unimpressed with the Tonga toast, although the strawberry sauce was excellent. And $25 for breakfast at Ohana seems kind of ridiculous. Do you have alternatives?

1 Like

I like Kona.

But in that area there are lots of options.

Grand Floridian Cafe, Steakhouse 71, Whispering Canyon Cafe to name a few

But I do like Kona

1 Like

Is neither an option? I’d monorail to GFC personally.

1 Like

OK yes, technically speaking neither is an option.
But we’re staying at Poly so I was trying to keep it relatively close.

Right now I have two ADRs for Kona (breakfast and lunch on different days) and didn’t have one for 'Ohana.
But now I found one for 'Ohana

Just not sure if I want to switch the breakfast Kona for breakfast 'Ohana.

And that’s why I’m luke warm to the idea.
Last time I was there, it was an awesome character breakfast.
So I was planning on it and hoping the characters would return… but I’m a D-37 and still no characters,

1 Like

Yeah I think I’d stick with Kona for the cheaper and more unque options. Are you at Poly your whole trip?

1 Like

We didn’t do Ohana, but we did Kona. My wife thought the Tonga Toast was the best thing she ate for our entire 8 day trip. I can’t have Tonga Toast due to the bananas, but I did have the Macadamia Nut pancakes, which were absolutely delicious. But, truthfully, the hit of the breakfast for me was the side of ham that came with the pancakes!

3 Likes

So we have a Ohana breakfast ADR- I am considering trying to swap to KONA based on the posts. Do you all think there is any chance they bring back character dining before 4/25? That is the only reason it sounds like I should keep the Ohana ADR. Note- this would be our only potential character meal.

I doubt it before 4/25

But why not make a Kona reservation and - for now - keep your 'Ohana. You only have to cancel by 4/24 to avoid penalty. That way you’ll be sure

No just the last three nights

1 Like

Lol I recall you singing praises to the ham!
Duly noted for my trip

1 Like