Off topic...final Harry Potter movie

Haha! Until reading this thread I had no idea it was anybody’s favourite!

1 Like

This whole thread makes me feel like the end of the world is coming. I usually agree with everything @missoverexcited says, but now I’m agreeing with @ryan1??? What is this world coming to? :rofl:

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy:

But it had a nice glowing cup and Dumbledore CALMLY asking Harry if he’d put his name in it so there’s that…
:rofl::joy::rofl:

2 Likes

That would make for too short of book, silly.

Or it shows how poorly conceived the HP plots and villains became. Why have a simple plan when you can have an elaborate scheme? Like Bond villains, only worse.

I think the major problem with the HP series is that once it took off JKR didn’t think that she needed editors. And she did, desperately. The books got way too long, and the plots had a lot of WTF moments that an editor would have quickly sorted out.

Check out the tickets for Cursed Child if you can go on a Wednesday and see both parts. I’ve seen them for sale for $69.50 per part (NYC not London)

1 Like

Thanks for the tip!

My daughter has really gotten into broadway, Planning to try some rush tickets for a few shows with her this summer so want to try to make the budget stretch.

I’m banking on a lottery win, my budget likes the $20 per part much better. (Also want to try to rush To Kill a Mockingbird with my son.)

1 Like

I’ll have to disagree with you on this. Because you may be forgetting something very key. Rowling wasn’t writing these books for you or for me. But for kids, ages 10 to about 17 primarily. Thing is, she did such a good job of creating her fun, magical world, that soon adults and even younger kids were sucked in as well. But that doesn’t change the target audience of the books.

As such, there are certain types of focuses in the genre of Middle-Grade and Young Adult books. Plots need to be plausible, not perfect. But they also need to follow the formula she already laid out. Every book takes place over the course of a school year, and the plot must extend itself that way. It is what the reader expects. So, a writer may take liberties with that. In the case of the HP books, I am not bothered at all by the things that don’t make 100% sense because that’s not really the point. If we wanted things to make sense, we wouldn’t be reading books filled with ridiculous magic!

I need another re-read to get my ranking solidly in place, but 5 & 6 are definitely at the top, followed by 7/3, 4, 1, 2. Something like that.