Off topic...final Harry Potter movie

Yeah, Until I checked Dune out I didn’t realize it was a series! Not planning to read the next books any time soon. I’m pretty the protagonist is going to do some stoopid stuff in the next volume to bring him down and I’m not on board for that trip.

Some of those classics like Flies I think have a couple of issues: they are still out there in force because they have a structure that is useful in teaching middle and high school kids so they keep rolling despite shortcomings. (Although the “shortcomings” may be part of the teachability.)

Also, so many books (and movies) over the last decades have built on the base of those earlier classics. When the classics came out they were decidedly innovative, but now often seem dated and perhaps even simplistic to those who have been brought up on newer derivative fare.

Oh, so true.

I think Neville’s legacy as a hero is also redeemed somewhat by his role in the HP & the Cursed Child play as well. Which, if you ever get a chance to see it, you must do! It’s breathtaking. Super-long, but totally worth it.

2 Likes

I read it. Not sure if I’ll ever get a chance to see it, though.

I enter the Cursed Child ticket lottery every week! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@JJT we got lucky. My sister got a presale code before it even opened, so we bought the tickets OVER A YEAR before we actually got to go, and knowing almost nothing about it. It was a long wait, but I cannot recommend it enough. So cool, and so hard to describe why it’s cool, it just is.

1 Like

Well, having read the script, I would love to see how they pull off some of the special effects that are implied. I love the stage, so seeing something like this would be really cool. I’ll have to hope it comes to the Detroit area sometime in the future. Although, I imagine tickets would be near the price of Hamilton, so I probably will have to wait until it comes to Detroit about 3 times before I can afford it! :wink:

3 Likes

Yes, Jim Dale is the best. But if we are talking about poor choices in the movie adaptation of Deathly Hollows, how can we ignore that they eliminated one of the best scenes in the entire book series? Harry belittling Tom Riddle in front of everyone as they circle each other and Tom begins to realize he will lose the duel and Harry continues to just talk down to him. Instead, they just disapparate all over the place with no dialogue. A horrible disappointment.

5 Likes

I think your viewing party - and your cake - sound fabulous! However, I have to disagree on Order of the Phoenix being the best book. It is my least favorite. I think Goblet of Fire is my favorite, followed closely by Deathly Hallows (although I agree this one is a little long).

1 Like

Another vote for Goblet of Fire as my favorite. I loved the new characters and the challenges!!
And I really love Lord of the flies…
“And in the middle of them, with matted hair and unwiped nose, Ralph wept for the end of innocence and the fall through the air of the true wise friend called Piggy.”

My wife and I read them ourselves way back when, then again with our dd17 as she was growing up. Now, we have read books 1-4 with dd9. What a treat to revisit this wonderful world and experience the excitement from another child’s eyes. I’ve teared up several times as I read passages to her. Some parts take on more weight when you know what happens in later books.

Well, last night we watched the movie and I was surprised that it brought me to tears several times. (I mean, I’ve read the book twice, and watched the movie a few times…but it just affected me more this time.)

Anyhow, my DIL was there, and this was her first time seeing it. After it was over, we were talking about how Universal has based a lot of Diagon Alley to elements of this movie (Escape from Gringott’s in particular). When we were describing what the ride was like, I could tell she was getting more excited for our May 2020 trip. She’s never been to Disney nor Universal, so for us, it is like taking our child for the very first time!

(The cake, BTW, was delicious. Turned out much better than I had anticipated!)

4 Likes

I didn’t like Neville’s diminished role and I with the situation with Kreacher had been fleshed out just a bit more.

I also hate that Harry & Dudley’s scenes were cut.

2 Likes

Yes, I forgot about the Dudley scene.

Some of the most important points of Harry’s character and beliefs were just tossed aside in those last 2 movies in deference to the importance of cool zappy magical attack things.

And while I’m here,another thing: I REALLY dislike how they portray Dumbledore in some scenes throughout the movies. They have him seem angry and short when in the books he was always quieter, very enigmatic, and leading the characters with some unspoken info in almost all scenes. (Some scenes that are portrayals of his actual power excepted.)

1 Like

I kind of blame the change in actor for that. Not that they could control the death of Richard Harris. But in the third movie, when Gambon takes over the role, Dumbledore turns quite gruff. It was like a complete shift in personality. Gambon just never pulled off the quiet strength of Dumbledore in the books the way Richard Harris did.

4 Likes

Yes, I agree.

I continue to be surprised by that, since I think Gambon is a terrific actor. How could he miss that crucial aspect of the character?

But, then, we did benefit by this gif now existing.
dumblin

6 Likes

Dune wasn’t supposed to be a series, and IMHO it shows in the subsequent books.

2 Likes

Ooh, Goblet of Fire was about the worst of the series for me. Huge plot holes (big enough to fly a Hungarian Horntail through) just infuriated me. Case in point - Why go through all the effort to rig the Tri-Wizard tournament? You had a mole in Hogwarts, posing as a respected Defense against the Dark Arts professor. “Say Harry, why don’t you join me for a butterbeer in Hogsmeade and we can talk about ways to defend against Voldemort?” Apparate to the Riddle estate, and you’re done.

2 Likes

WHAATTT??? I loved Order of the Phoenix! It is my fave book in the series!

Yes! I am reading this thread a couple days after it started, but I am shocked that people don’t like Order of the Phoenix!

1 Like