October?

We just returned from WDW last weekend. I definitely missed the FP’s. With only S/B Lines, I felt pressure to be in the parks both before the official opening time and late in the evening just to avoid the horrendous lines. We had no choice but to take the afternoon break, but we would have preferred either an early day or a late day, but not marathon days! There was not really enough time during the afternoon break to really feel rested.

3 Likes

That’s what we are doing! Since won’t be until 2022 going to go all out!

2 Likes

Because FPs are offered. My point is without FPs being offered, the lines are faster.

4 Likes

I totally agree - RDing HS does seem critical!

1 Like

I know you have given this a lot of thought and I…haven’t. I believe what you say is true, on average. But someone who took full advantage of the FP system had shorter waits than those who did not. We never waited in line longer than 20 minutes before. I do not see that happening this summer, unfortunately.

3 Likes

Also even when there is a line, it feels like it moves much quicker without letting FPs on. Besides stopping for cleaning or to give someone extra time getting on/off an Omnimover, it always felt that we were making progress in the line rather than staring at the same scenes for 20 minutes at a time.

2 Likes

I’ve been twice during the pandemic and I loved not having FP. I’d been to Disney seven times before this year and took advantage of the FP and got multiple ones throughout the day after the initial three and my very first trip was in the days of paper FP. We did arrive about an hour before parks open and took advantage of the early park time. At MK we were in the first train of Seven Dwarfs, then did Peter Pan, Big Thunder and were in line for Splash by 9:00 which was the official park open. Rode everything in MK except Dumb and Barnstormer (by choice) and sat and rested in the park for about 90 minutes. Park hours were 9-6. We never could have done that if FP had been in place. We also rode everything in DHS except ToT and Slinky Dog before 4;00. I timed our waits in the parks and didn’t wait any longer than 20 for anything except Slinky Dog and that was because it broke down and was offline for over an hour. We were left Epcot at 5:00 after having ridden all but Test Track. That being said this was in October and November.

1 Like

Personally, I have never waited more than 20 minutes in line WITH a fast pass. I skipped a bunch of rides in November because of extended wait times. Not having FP definitely hindered the trip. That and the restaurant closures. Food & Wine was somewhat disappointing. Half the booths were closed / only open on the weekend. It was a good time overall, but it was way different. Would have been a bummer if I were a first- timer. MK wasn’t so bad, but HS was a mess without FP. I was there for about seven hours and did four rides.

4 Likes

I talked with a CM the other day at Splash. He said he hoped FPP never came back. He said lines were much shorter without. With FPP for every one standby let on the ride, there are 4 with FPP. I told him that made since but if you knew how to use FPP adequately lines do seem long right now. With FPP I never waited 50 min for something like I did last week.

2 Likes

You are taking my quote out of context by stating only the second part of my sentence and leaving off the “For liners who know how to use the system and have young kids who need breaks”.

I understand that for someone who tours the parks like you do, your point about FPs is likely true. I have been on adult only trips where I might have been able to experience as much or more if there were no FPs.

With my young kids, however, a typical MK day would be:

(1) book FPs for 3 headliners for 9:30 am, 10:30 am and 11:30 am. Book 4th FP for 3:00 pm time after we tap in for 11:30 am FP.
(2) RD and get a few rides in before we head to our first FP around 10:15.
(3) Take a break from Noon to 2:30ish.
(4) Head back to the parks for a few hours and do same day FPs for the rides that typically have availability like Dumbo, Under the Sea, Magic Carpets, and Winnie the Pooh and lines that are short without FPs like Teacups and the Carousel. Often we get lucky and find a same day fastpass for one to two attractions with tougher FPs like Peter Pan or meeting a princess.

We would not be able to experience nearly as much without FPs.

I realize for the most part, the FP system is transferring wait times from one group of guests to another group of guests.

I’m not saying the FP system should or should not be in place nor do I expect WDW to cater to my TP style.

What I am saying is that FPs do save significant time for a certain group (and it is a large group) of guests who tour in a certain way.

4 Likes

FP also regulates a large portion of guests by taking the popular rides and stretching out the demand throughout the day. Arguably the most efficient and least independent and autonomous way to do Disney would be for everyone to choose FP for every attraction. Assigned time and place. Takes away from the spontaneity of course.

Personally, we have stayed at club level to get extra FP’s before and it was great. However, we went three times last year and it was pretty liberating post COVID hit to be able to just go to park like the old days and do what you wanted and when you wanted to do it. Limited ADRs also took less structure away from the planned day. As typical with most things, there are pros and cons. But the FP is a slick system than I know makes things better for those that choose or can use it. Those that don’t get punished. And then those that pay $$$ for plaid tours can shaft the FP folk :slight_smile:

Ah, I’m just full of questions. We get there fairly early afternoon on a Saturday. Don’t have park tickets that day. Booked it that way figuring on maybe a Halloween party, but the thing that’s been announced is way too late for us. What would you do that night? Any restaurants in Disney but not in the park you can recommend? (Not a fan of DS. Too crowded for us right now, probably.) Preferably something that’s outside or has a fair amount of open space. We might be just getting Sanaa takeout, but . . . looking for options from you smart people.

Would you consider adding park tickets for that day? Might be fun to go to AK for a few hours the first day and eat there.

If not, I would go with your plan for Sanaa takeout. I’d explore AKL in the afternoon, eat dinner, and then get to bed early and do my best to ge up for RD. Yes, I’m pushing RD on you again :slight_smile:

That’s a good thought; I should check how much that is. When we rescheduled, we went from 4 days to 6, and the difference in price for the tickets was so little I was shocked.

I have found one you get to 5 days, each extra day beyond that is not all that expensive. DW and I decided the price was low enough that it was worth it for a few hours at a park on arrival day. We also feel it is a bit of a tease to our kids to arrive in Disney World, but not able to experience a park until the morning.

2 Likes

Took your advice, @davej. It was only like 108, with tax, to add another day for all six of us. Figured even if our flight was a bit late we’d still get our money’s worth that evening. Thanks!

2 Likes

Great! We also have our 3 generation trip planned for October so maybe we will pass you somewhere along the way!

That would be fun!

I am just crossing everything that we don’t have to delay again. Haven’t told the twins yet, just in case.

We went in May and tried (with one exception for a character meal) to do only outdoor dining for covid reasons. Our adrs were: via Napoli (only a few outdoor tables and only one that could fit our party of 6) and Tony’s town square (which shut outdoor dining for the day because the temps were above a certain level). So, even with planning, staying outside took a willingness to wait or change plans if needed. I’m glad we did it-definitely eased some worries since we were with young kids, but just wanted to pass along! We also did 2 at Disney springs-was wary of crowds (as you mentioned being) but the bulk of outdoor table service options were there, so risked it. (Edited to add: we LOVED the mobile order option and had lots of ease with quick service outdoors!)

2 Likes

@jwohrle Great tips! Thanks so much.