October 2020 trip planning

Too bad. I suck too much at technology to figure out how to transfer them back :crazy_face:

But really, they, or even just one of them, are yours if you so choose.

Don’t be ridiculous. They’re yours. Fair and square.

No, my plan to get into WDW is to use my friend who’s in Club 33.

3 Likes

I’d gladly trade you…

1 Like

I just bought my kids tickets to WDW for October!! DH and I have AP and we already had flights and room paid… were waiting to get kids tickets once we had the extra cash (then BAM no more 2020 sales and we panicked)! Then, we decided we love WDW and have been a few other times, we just want to go ride some rides, spend time together, and have some fun! we are really jazzed! i’m excited to see you excited!

I would do mornings on UOR to get on Hagrid’s virtual queue and afternoons at WDW (so far the park gets emptier as the day progresses). But I am so unreasonably in love with that ride that my judgement is completely clouded.

Barnstormer at MK is a fun baby-coaster, completely outside. I recommend giving it a shot.

Have you seen DTB’s latest review of Tony’s? Tony's Town Square Restaurant Redemption - Disney Tourist Blog It might become a good outdoor option at MK.

1 Like

Hello, tiny band of people who care about my trip planning. (Can you tell I’m an only child? If I don’t get attention, you know there’s a tantrum in the very near future.)

On the assumption that I can go where I want, when I want (which I think is true) here are my thoughts.

I broadly have the same strategy for each park: circumnavigate the park, drinking in the sights and sounds, with the occasional stop-off for a ride or meal / snack.

So AK is easy. Explore Pandora, ride NRJ and maybe FOP, eat at Satu’li. Then walk around the whole park Africa, Asia, then cut through Discovery Island. (Dinoland is a waste of everyone’s time.) Stopping off at the new replacement for Up. I have no other ride priorities. I can easily live without EE or KS and I’m not that bothered about the animal trails, unless they’re quiet. I could be done in half a day. (Edit: Actually, it makes sense to do all this in reverse, ending in Pandora, when I’ll be hungry enough for Satu’li.)

EP is easy, too. I’d kinda like to do Soarin’ and SSE, but FW is such a disaster area, that I’m tempted to skip it entirely and just walk around WS. If new France is fully open, the Ratatouille will be a priority item. Otherwise, just a relaxing stroll. Half a day.

EP obvious pairs with HS, and I could probably do half a day there, too, taking the Skyliner from the one to the other. At HS, I’d want to tour SWGE and ride ROTR, eating at Ronto Roasters and the Milk Stand. From there to TSL to ride SDD. Maybe ASS, maybe TSM. Then MMRR and from there to TOT (maybe). (Edit: It makes sense to do EP then HS, again thinking about when I’m going to be hungry.)

For MK, a slow walk up Main Street then Tomorrowland and PeopleMover (if PM isn’t fixed by October, I’m throwing a full tantrum and demanding a refund of all moneys paid). Then round to Fantasyland and probably 7DMT. Maybe Pooh, maybe IASW. Then to Liberty Square for HM. On to Frontierland for Splash, through Adventureland for a meal at Skipper (maybe do POTC) and circle back to the Hub to admire the Castle before heading back down Main Street. If I’m allowed, I’d take a walk to GF (if the new walkway is open) just because I love the lobby, or walk to CR and take a trip to WL for Geyser Point. Full day. (Edit. Skipper could be replaced with Tony’s, if I’m sticking with outdoor venues only.)

That leaves my UOR plans. For another post.

4 Likes

You seem to have forgotten (?) that park-hopping is no longer a thing.

You seem to have forgotten I have a Club 33 chum. Rules don’t apply to them.

1 Like

Well, I didn’t forget. I didn’t know. And…I also didn’t know that knowing someone who is part of Club 33 would allow you to hop! :slight_smile:

Interesting. So, between now and August, I need to find a Club 33 friend, is what you’re saying?

I believe it does.

Yup. They’re the best.

Okay, then. Here’s my plan.

On August 7, I have to go to either Disney Springs or Guest Services at one of the parks (probably HS) to activate my AP. So, what I’ll do is activate my AP, and have a park reservation for HS. I’ll go in, and hang out near where the Club 33 is in the park and wait for someone to go in/out. Then I’ll offer them a free Mickey bar if they’ll be my friend. The plan is flawless! (Um…)

You really need to identify your new Club 33 friend before you enter the park. Because they can get you in for free and you won’t have to waste activating your AP.

Just stand at the entry plaza stopping people and asking, “Are you in Club 33? Can I be your friend?”

Technically, I have a family member (well…my wife’s aunt) who works for Disney. Years and years ago, we took advantage of her CM status to get our family into the parks for free. That was nice, since we were very poor(ish) back then.

Free stuff is the best stuff.

70% of WDW rides are in the “ok as a walk-on, 15 minutes on that indoor queue sharply increases the risk” boat. So which attractions can be done safely varies widely with the crowd level. If they continue as they are, you might be able to go to more rides than what you are planning right now.

1 Like

I call bs on this. You will figure out a way to make your trip planning very challenging.

1 Like

I know that I’m sarcastic all the time and that it’s difficult to tell when I’m being serious but I do grow weary of the little digs that people make at me about how I change my mind a lot. I’m not necessarily having a go at anyone on this thread — some comments were made on another thread — but I do actually find it quite upsetting because I have the sense that I’m being laughed at rather than laughed with.

I enjoy thinking about my trips and I enjoy planning them. The process never ends because I’m constantly thinking about them and coming up with new ideas and I’m constantly reading about WDW in general and that inspires new ideas.

Anyhoo, for the two people still interested and not being snide . . .

So this afternoon I mocked up schedules that were based on the thoughts in my post early today.

My constraint is that I’m staying at UOR and I want to give UOR a really decent run for my money. I only have six nights, which means five full days, so I don’t want to be constantly travelling to WDW.

Initially, I tried MK and AK together and HS and EP together. But the opening hours are not that long in October and those plans seemed unrealistic. I split MK and AK into separate days. EP is open till 9pm, the latest of the parks and I thought the HS / EP day might still work, especially if I was willing to ditch certain items on the fly in order to ensure I stayed on schedule.

But then I read a trip report from someone who said they really struggled wearing a mask all day and I realised that I hadn’t taken practicality into account.

Given that this is not — I hope — my last ever visit to Orlando, I’ve now realised that I don’t have to make that age-old mistake of trying to do it all. In other words, it’s time to cut entire WDW parks out of my plan.

I really want to capitalise on being at UOR — I’m at a beautiful resort, I want to explore the other resorts as well as really thoroughly enjoy USF and IOA, and maybe even VB. Also, there’s always the risk that rain will wash out a day. So two WDW parks have to go. I’m willing to give WDW two days and I really think they should get one day each. No park hopping. (Which means if my Club 33 friend can’t help me out for whatever reason, I could continue with my plan anyway, assuming I can get two day tickets and park reservations.)

I can’t cut MK. It’s MK. I need to see Main Street and the Castle.

So I have to choose one from AK, HS and EP.

Cutting EP seems the obvious first choice. FW is a disaster area and Ratatouille might not even be open by October. Even if it is, it’ll probably have long lines. EP does have the longest opening hours and a stroll around WS would be nice, but I don’t think it merits the spot.

So I have to choose one from AK and HS.

HS is tempting because of SWGE and TSL, but I don’t find it a particularly attractive park. And SWGE is mostly about ROTR and the lines for that are going to be long and getting a boarding group is going to be stressful.

There is in a sense less to do at AK — I’m mostly interested in Pandora. But it is a visually beautiful park. And I do like animals. I honestly nearly cried when I saw Up! last year. When the birds swoop inches above your heads . . . well, it’s magical, it really is. I really like NRJ and I’m weirdly obsessed with Satu’li. The line for FOP might be long, but it’s much more interesting than the line for ROTR.

So I think we’re looking at MK and AK.

And three UOR days.

Arrival day will be nothing because everything closes so early. Which is actually quite nice because there’s no worry about flight delays or rushing to get to a park after a nine hour flight with a five hour time difference. I can just get to the resort, chill out and go to bed.

Departure day will obviously be UOR.

Of course this all may be entirely moot because I hear Virgin has been cancelling September flights to Orlando. Will October be next?

2 Likes

Wearing a mask in October I’m sure will be easier than July. Even when we went towards the end it September last year it was so lovely after the extreme heat of a July trip.

1 Like

MK and AK are clearly the right choice. DHS is too much work and Epcot is under construction.

Is pool hopping currently allowed at Universal? Going to Cabana Bay’s pool was on my wish list last time, but I couldn’t find the time.

1 Like

I would pick the same. EP would pull me hard because I love strolling around WS, but AK really has my heart. It’s so peaceful there.

1 Like