Now we know why WDW closed Frozen Ever After @ EPCOT - Testing Plexiglass shields on a few ride vehicles

Got to like the continued efforts to increase the Covid-19 era ride capacity. Don’t know how effective it can be with all the water droplets and mist during the ride.

1 Like

I keep thinking about effectiveness too… on all the rides where they are installing these ‘sheilds’… it feels like theater; an illusion of safety

7 Likes

Agree with the ‘illusion of safety’ on some of this. It’s good to pursue anything that can increase capacity and shorten lines, but I don’t think it’s adding much real protection on top of what masks are already doing. Hopefully this is high quality plexiglass and treated well with RainX or another hydrophobic coating. I’m a little worried some magic/immersion will be lost having to look through windows and that this change is a net negative.

2 Likes

I recall early on they said that humidity actually decreases the risk of spread, because water in the air causes the aerosolized virus to fall to the ground faster rather than linger in the air. There’s no reason to believe the mist from the ride itself has any virus in it, especially since the ride water is brominated.

3 Likes

Did not know about the spread and humidity. Interesting

I was only thinking about the views through the plexiglass being affected due to accumulated moisture.

3 Likes

Can I use my own squeegee on the attractions?

6 Likes

Oh, haha that’s a good point. I’m curious to see the impact.

Part of the plan to bring back laid off CM

4 Likes

Will they be removed once a kid slams their head against them and lose a tooth? Seriously, I picture this happening.

1 Like

It was discussed on the Dis podcast last week by one of the group that felt ROTR is negatively impacted by the plexiglass since it makes it feel like it is being viewed “on tv” or on a screen vs being immersed.

3 Likes

I’m trying not to laugh at this image created in my mind :zipper_mouth_face: :grimacing:

2 Likes

Yes. This is true. In fact, rain effectively clears the air of aerosolized virus!

1 Like

Maybe they can put some shields on Soarin’ and figure out how to use them to straighten out the Eiffel Tower :smiley:

4 Likes

If this is the best they can do, this really hurts FEA IMHO. I would rather wait 50 min with no barriers than 25 with these. I don’t want the effect of driving a car with broken wipers through WDW in the rain (unless that’s literally part of the story).

Unless there’s sufficient data showing that a large number of people are removing their masks on the rides where they’ve added these barriers, it seems pretty unnecessary, except to the strictest rule followers on social distancing.

2 Likes

Yeah, actually I think I agree. I think most of these rides shouldn’t be worrying so much about distancing anymore, especially if the ride is less than 10 minutes. More concerned about masks in that short amount of time.

1 Like

Yes true. At this point, whatever it takes to sell more tickets and keep the most cautious customers happy. Because they are the ones who would complain about lax safety measures. Effectiveness is less important than appearance for sure.

It seems the country in general is very limited in being able to slow the virus.

1 Like

The one time I rode FEA there somehow got to be this tiny amount of water in the boat and it was just enough to make my seat wet…ugh. Nobody else’s seat, just mine. That water can get anywhere.