Note O17

There are a number of issues here.

First, I’m not scared of going to America. I lived there for three years and I’ve visited so many times I can’t remember how many there’ve been. I’ve visited about 30 states and many of the major cities. I’ve walked around New York and Chicago at night on my own and not felt afraid.

I did say that the US felt a little weird at the moment. Over 60 million Americans voted for Donald Trump. He is a president unlike any other. It’s a little weird.

Second, I teach statistics. People are incredibly bad at understanding risk. Europe is a spectacularly safe place to visit.

Let’s take one of the worst terrorist incidents in history, 9/11. Now suppose that terrorists repeated an incident as devastating as that every day. Let’s further suppose that you fly on a domestic flight in the US every day. Do you know how likely it is that you’d be involved in a terrorist incident? It’s less than one in a thousand on any given day. You’d have to wait about three years — of flying every day, while terrorists are flying planes into buildings every day — before you could expect to be killed yourself.

But terrorists don’t fly planes into buildings every day. They did it once, sixteen years ago. And you don’t fly everyday. You maybe fly a few times a year.

The threat from terrorism is vastly, vastly exaggerated. You are dramatically more likely to be killed in a road accident or — in the US — to be shot. Vastly, vastly more likely.

So if you’re going to stop yourself from seeing the incredible cultural heritage of Europe, presumably you’re also never going to go to New York (9/11), Florida (night club shooting), Las Vegas (Mandalay Bay shooter), . . . All of those incidents were worse than anything that’s happened in the UK since 2005, twelve years ago.

Yes, the Manchester bombing was awful. But — you know what? Say you were actually there. The chance of you being killed if you were actually there at the time was about one in a thousand. So assuming that terrorists carrry out similar attacks at every concert you go to, you’d have to go to over 1,000 before you could expect to be killed.

And forget Australia. They’ve had terrorist incidents of their own.

I was living in America on 9/11. I went to New York less than a month after it and I flew from Logan Airport, where two of the hijacked planes had taken off.

People need to make sensible judgements about risk. You are most at risk from people you know and those in your own neighbourhood.

Paris, Venice, Rome, Florence, . . . breathtakingly beautiful and fascinating places, with fantastic food. You’d be nuts not to go.

6 Likes

9/11 isn’t a proper comparison. Obviously there are places in Europe that women are not safe. Are terrorist bombings a concern here, could be. Have they been more prevalent in Europe in the last 5 years? Yes.

But here is my biggest issue. In America I know where I would never go. I’m white (half Hispanic but don’t look it) therefore I can’t walk at night in certain areas of the major city I live in (Atlanta.). Had a wonderful time in Chicago 15 years ago. Wouldn’t go there now. A lot of Michigan is a nope. I know where I might be in danger here (and more importantly my 17 yo daughter) In Europe I do not. The conditions in Paris are shocking to me. They probably aren’t to you because you have been aware of the decline over time. We don’t hear about Europe that much over here so I get the info all at one time. Even though I follow a lot of UK news outlets. I trust the media over there to tell me what is happening here. Lol.

65 million people voted for Clinton. 63 million voted for Trump. Most people who voted for him voted against the establishment. It was a vote against the status quo. Only 33% approve him now. Buyers remorse. I voted for neither. A lot of people also did not vote. We weren’t given much to work with.

However, I would like to apologize because I actually took your comments wrong. You said you felt weird. I get that now. You didn’t say you were afraid. And that is how I took it even though that is not what you said. I should never type before coffee.

If I knew someone in Europe who could take me to the sights and tell me where not to walk at night and where these immigrant camps are etc… I would go. I would also go if I could afford disney adventures. Look at that I brought it back around in topic!

Bottom line in my opinion the world sucks.

You have facts and proper analytics on your side. Unfortunately you are going to lose this argument. As a reference point, see the 2016 election results…

4 Likes

Well, we’re all losers.

Europe will lose tourism income. Americans will lose out on the opportunity to broaden their outlook and witness at first hand the cultural and culinary wonders on offer.

It is not a rational issue. The statistics show overwhelmingly that life on earth is far, far safer than the press and media would have you believe. But, as I said, people have extremely poor understanding of risk.

As the 45th President would put it: sad!

4 Likes

Yes! If we in the U.S. were rational about bad things happening to us, we’d stay out of cars! And go to Europe as often as possible (I do!).:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

A lot of this is bull. I live in Manchester, it’s not a scary or dangerous place. Your media reports things about no go areas for whites, none of it is true. There is not a single place in Europe I wouldn’t go to through fears about my safety.

I work for the government concerning immigration. To say we are trying to close the borders is a gross simplification and not accurate at all.

I don’t know a single person who is scared to go to America so I’m not sure why you said that. However, it is statistically a much more dangerous place to be.

5 Likes

Australia doesn’t terrify you, but Europe and Asia does?

Australia terrifies me and I was born here :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

I have one comment on this. “Statistically you have less than a one in a thousand change of being involved in an incident”. That may be true, but it is of small comfort if that person involved in the incident is you. Now that said, I think it has been stated many times the if your proceed in fear because you believe what the terrorists are trying to have you believe, then they have accomplished their goals. Every country tries there very best to do what they can to keep us safe. It doesn’t always work but you must live life without fear. If you wish to be a sheep and let the wolves scare you, they will and you will be restricted by your own fear. Are there places you should not go? You bet! It’s called, “Being Street Smart”. I don’t care if it is in Europe, Australia, or the USA, you must be aware of your surrounding at all times and act accordingly. We will not be able to prevent terrorism in any country but we can minimize it’s effects by showing these monsters that we will not live our lives in fear.

3 Likes

The first time I visited London in 1973 there was a bomb on the tracks when the IRA was active. It didn’t deter me from returning several times. I don’t go to prohibited areas and I try not to live in fear. I regularly visit Philadelphia and parts are iffy. The US would be better hopefully after the next presidential election. I didn’t vote without though and can’t say I am responsible for the results. I did my part in trying to get a different outcome.

2 Likes

I live in NJ my father was a history teacher, so growing up I spent a lot of time in Philly. I grew up in the 70’s when NY City subways were very scary. That did not stop us from going to the city it just kept us street level.

1 Like

I remember going in the city with my husband’s friend to see comics. We parked at the port authority. I wasn’t scared maybe because I was,with several men. There were homeless people and beefed up autos though to be drug dealers. It was 1991 when I was pregnant with our son. The parking garage had closed and we were more concerned how we were getting back to Jersey where we were staying. They found someone who helped us get the car out of the garage.

2 Likes

LOL I had the same thing happen once, we refer to that as the night we played “Escape From NY” I stopped parking there and now we park at the 24 hours garage across the street.

2 Likes

I am in 100% the same spot – went with a friend this past November, planned like a madwoman, figured we’d have a great time, and that that would be our one big Disney adventure. We DID have an amazing time, and now we’re planning trip #2… And I’m already SO excited to start the planning process all over again!

So I guess what I’m saying is: Solidarity.

2 Likes

Were going to Walt Disney World and you can’t go.

5 Likes

Oh my heart! But that face is pretty persuasive, I’d say…

My cat may help me pack my bag. I found out that my neighbor fed her twice a day . I feed her in the morning. I ratted her out.

2 Likes

This is actually my son’s dog. His name is Neo. Yes, he is a big fan of the Movie, The Matrix. Neo loves everyone especially if you have anything he can eat. Never really asked him if he wanted to go to WDW but I am sure if I asked him he would be more than willing to go. Son and his girlfriend would not part with him though.

My cat thinks that sitting on my bag means I can’t go anywhere. I tell him “You are 14 pounds and highly moveable. I’m going.” LOL.

1 Like

My cat is a few pounds more.

1 Like