Not opening until 2021?

I don’t envy WDW having to make this decision. If someone gets sick, it will get a lot of attention. It could cause damage that could linger. But at some point they will have to open. Any decision will be second guessed.

2 Likes

I think a lot of travelers will self select.

3 Likes

I’d be careful booking cruises if they take your money now and offer a credit for a future cruise nothing is stopping them from filing chapter 11 and your money is gone.

3 Likes

I am not planning one. My “fun” money is going to home improvements this year in an effort to prep our house for the market. (Which may be equally as leveled as tourism…)

Carnival is in good shape, compared to some other lines, despite the Princess and HAL issues. They are least in debt., if what I’ve read it actually true. :slight_smile:

My parents have one booked on Norwegian for my fathers 80 birthday for the whole family 6 rooms right after Christmas. So they are very nervous.

1 Like

Oh - I so hope they can go. I loved NCL. Which ship?

I think the Sky or Sun out of Miami. I was hoping to stop at Disney on the way home for a few days to see the Christmas decorations.

1 Like

A catch 22. Those kids who live in multi generational homes are most likely the ones who really need to go back. Both parents (and probably grandparents) NEED to be working. Those adults are more likely to be in jobs where working from home is not possible. These kids need to be fed, and often get most of that at school. These households need child care to be able to work.

And I am constantly thinking about kids is abusive and/or neglectful situations. The abuse has likely ramped up, or started due to the confinements. Everyday that schools are closed and there is no before and after care, these children are in danger. If maybe certain situations were being monitored at school, that is no longer happening. These kids have no one to help them. And they can’t walk out the door and seek help at a shelter (whether adults in abusive situations do so is a separate thing that I don’t want to get into). How many marginal home situations are now fully abusive due to the stress of confinement, income loss, etc?

There are too many situations where school is the only safe place for kids. I really don’t think that cocooning or whatever else is a good trade off. Hard choices need to be made. For me, leaving kids in terrible situations is not the answer.

This is a less important question than the home life issue; but still very important. How many households out there have both parents working and also in jobs where stay at home is not an option? Kids left alone at home? Is this safer than opening schools?

I think if there is an attempt to not have kids in the classroom come August/September, the protests you see now are going to pale in comparison.

4 Likes

This is also a big fear of mine. I live about 3 miles from AJ Freund’s now-demolished house and we just had the anniversary of his death. The whole town is acutely aware of this aspect of the pandemic. :frowning_face:

@radiohead8989 Saw something about this on a friend’s Facebook page? So now Varsity has cancelled the WDW event? (I’m so sorry - I know how hard the teams work for these opportunities!)

1 Like

I am also a Disney travel agent (just here and there, mostly for friends/family/referrals), but have access to all fo the travel agent information any other travel agent does) and no one (TAs included), has been given any sort of insider information on the parks reopening or not in 2020, 2021 etc… It’s purely speculation at this point and anyone giving their thoughts is just making a guess based on all kinds of different information. No one will know until Disney actually makes an announcement, including travel agents I know it’s frustrating though, trying to overanalyze every move they make to try and figure it out (I am 100% guilty of it too and can’t help myself, even though it’s exhausting!).

1 Like

Found this on their website:

Updated 5.11.20 Event Updates
With the health and safety of our athletes, coaches, family, friends and employees at the forefront, we have made the difficult decision to cancel the 2020 Summit Championship events. Please know that we gave it our best efforts, but COVID-19 has had a tremendous impact on our world, and it has affected our cheer and dance community in ways we could not have imagined.

2 Likes