Not opening until 2021?

I see this happening. There’s too much risk in opening the gates when the virus is not under control yet. The curve may be flattening, but if social gatherings are allowed to resume, that curve will spike once again. It’s probably best for everyone to schedule a vacation for anytime this year so that when Disney inevitably extends its closures, you’ll be among those compensated for a cancelled/postponed vacation. I was there this past January and was planning to return in November so maybe I’ll be one of the lucky-unlucky ones.

1 Like

So the only places I see posting this are The NY Post and the Daily Mail. Two tabloid papers. Take what’s written there with a small grain of salt.

1 Like

I’ve seen it mentioned other places before. Not saying it’s going to happen, but it is a realistic scenario.

1 Like

If Disney says it, I’ll believe it.

Until then, it’s just a guess, same as you or I can make

7 Likes

Be that as it may, considering everything going on right now, it’s still a possibility. That’s all I was highlighting when referencing that article.

1 Like

I mean its just pure speculation based on John Hodulik a stock analyst. Anything is possible but I feel like posting purely speculative stuff isn’t helpful and and there’s already a huge thread full of it. It will just be post after post of this until the State of Florida and all the parks announce their plans from the task force.

4 Likes

I generally assume finance people take a short position on a stock and then write a negative analysis to make a profit.

6 Likes

This is one of the reasons I’ve been here less and less. :frowning: Too taxing on my emotions with the optimistic vs pessimistic guesses as to when the parks will be back to “normal”.

3 Likes

At least it’s mostly contained to one thread which is good.

Hardly! There are about 10 threads at least

5 Likes

Sounds like I should start another thread on a different topic. I have lots of ideas!

4 Likes

Just got off the phone with my travel agent (dealing with our Alaska Cruise in July) and talked about our family trip in August (11 of us; DVC owners). She’s heard from numerous industry insiders that Disney won’t re-open until 2021 and is just determining how to handle the refunds, credits, point allotments, et.al. Again, nothing confirmed but she’s family (cousin) so I do trust her insights. Given the various threads on what to expect with a summer 2020 opening, and the likely severe impact on their brand and customer experience, I can see this happening. I’m sure they’re weighing the costs of running the parks well under normal levels, along with the potential exposure. Again, take this as you see fit but wouldn’t be surprised. Just contemplating the timing of an announcement.

2 Likes

I am still assuming nothing at this point. Disney is still taking reservations for resorts and dining and my tickets just converted to expire 12/15. I am over the rumors, which is what all this speculation is, no matter who is saying it. Shanghai Disney is planning on opening and I am sure how that plays out will be a huge factor in determining how to do things for the American parks. I have a hard time believing that with all the new information that has come out in just 6 weeks that we won’t have even more information in the next few months. I hopped onto this thread just to take a peek. But I agree with @Jordanrunner. I think I will stay away from these kinds of threads and wait for Disney to make their own announcement about when they are opening.

3 Likes

I don’t have a trip in the works, so I’m quite sure it’s easy for me to say this, but I kind of enjoy reading the speculation on these threads. I think it actually gives a lot of insight into different people by looking at their speculation and reaction to other people’s speculation. As a former sociology major, these things are highly entertaining to me!

1 Like

Varsity are holding their big competition June 19-22 at Walt Disney World. They just confirmed this is the last 24 hours. They sent out an email about this. They do point out that there are some hurdles that they must cross. One of them, is that Walt Disney World is currently closed. I don’t think they would have confirmed this event, unless Disney is telling them that there’s a pretty good chance that WDW will be open.

1 Like

Disney has just accepted $188 from me for two dessert parties in October this year.

Wouldn’t that be illegal if they knew those parties would not be running because the parks would not be open?

I’m not saying I’m concluding that the parks will be open, just that Disney does not know for certain that they will not.

Aren’t there are a number of topics on this speculation already?

Is the 2021 idea based on anything else than that one analyst’s guess, which started circulating around and taking various different forms?

I guess this can be speculated indefinitely, but at the end of the day it’s all guessing based on predictions and assumptions on how this all will develop over the next weeks and months.

To me, the one thing that strengthens this 2021 opening date is the talk about schools not going back in until 2021. Of course, nothing is definite at all. However, our governor told school districts start start preparing for this happening. I really hope this doesn’t happen - and I cannot understand how it won’t cause major pushback - but it’s out there.

2 Likes

Lol.they just accepted a desert party and a hoop de doo payment for me. Hope to see you in the Plaza garden!

2 Likes

5 Likes