Not Click Bait: Do you *really* want to come to FL right now?

Seems a little early to make the decision…and at about 10,000 cases daily, being “flat” isn’t really saying much!

1 Like

True! Supposdly the cases are flattening and will flatten.

I think the bigger question is, if it took New York over 2 months to get from 10k cases a day to a stabilized postition it is in now. How long will it take Florida in a more open enviroment to reach a 4% positive rate again?

2 Likes

That’s a good question.

The thing that was a huge factor for NYC, though, was/is population density. Pretty unique to that area.

Nice article, sums up well everything I have been piecing together. It does make me realize bathrooms are probably the weak link in my family’s general safety precautions!

I just spent an hour looking at the data. I guess a reduction from 18% positive to slightly under 13% is flattening to some?

It can be done almost immediately. Stop testing. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Arizona alone is adding as many cases as the EU and the EU has 60 times the population.

So the July 11th numbers just came out and Florida added 15299 new cases yesterday. That’s shatters the New York single day record by more than a third.

3 Likes

Yes, the hospitalization and death graphs are where you you expect them to be after those numbers the last few weeks.

True, but in context Florida is testing around 50k people a day, and at New Yorks peak they were testing around 18k. Thats around 250% more testing.

4 Likes

Lee County, where I live, added 1243 cases yesterday, which is twice the previous single-day record. The local NBC affiliate publishes a series of slides which roll up all the pertinent data, including testing and hospitalizations, for the six-county region but that’s not out for today yet. And what’s frustrating is that yesterday’s slide deck was missing the testing data, which I hope isn’t a new trend.

Outside of limited rapid testing in a couple of the biggest hospitals, there isn’t even a local lab to process tests collected locally. They’re mostly sent to Labcorp or Quest in Tampa. It’s been averaging 7 days to get results at the non-clinical testing sites. So the only mitigating factor is that some of this is a backlog from the Independence Day long weekend.

Although we always focus on the percentage of positive cases. You can test 50k people and get 2%positive, or 18% positive. It is the percentage of positive tests that concern people.

It is like my state. We are currently under 2% but there are 8 cities average 9% positive. All the focus from the state is on those 8 cities.

3 Likes

The high water mark for testing was 95335 on 7/9. The positive rate was 15.29% overall and 12.73% when previously-positive subjects are excluded. State figures exclude antibody test results.

2 Likes

National News is questioning the opening of WDW, but they are not reporting that reservations are required and are limited/capped. This in light of FL reporting over 15K cases today… did state silver lining of low % of positive rate (can’t remember number). Fun to see live cars driving around WDW property. Wish I was there :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

This one includes antibody?

http://ww11.doh.state.fl.us/comm/_partners/covid19_report_archive/state_reports_latest.pdf

1 Like

I am very confused by this?

oh boy… I was listening while packing… don’t want to add any confusion :wink: the news stated that even though there are a lot of new cases in FL that the rate of positives was dropping. ie instead of 10% of tested being positive it was only X%. Does that help? They were trying to find a ‘silver lining’ to the high number of cases today.

1 Like

Of the few employees that had to get tested, its been a mixed bag on getting results.
Some got them in 3 days, others 5 or 7.

As much as I like to read the news and get information, I’m really not basing my travel information on their news stories. I’m heading to the beach for a few days in August and the media is bashing beaches right now. I know people who have been to the beach I am going to and other beaches and reports are that people are social distancing on the beach and are not cramming together like some of the pictures are trying to show. The issues seems to be with parties and bars, some of which are shutting down. We pretty much are just doing the beach and a large park that is never crowded even in non-Covid times. And we aren’t bar hoppers. We are still planning on going as long as our state doesn’t recommend quarantining from where we are going. I think it is important to be informed, but sometimes I think they use headlines to get you to click for advertising dollars.

4 Likes

The lowest I have seen is almost 13%