NOT a good sign!

Disney’s response to California Governor

7 Likes

I can’t tell you how happy I am (from 3,000 miles away) that DLR is standing up to this. Wow.
Awesome.
Not sure it will make a difference… but little guys have been suffering for 7+ months now and have lacked a voice. WTG.

5 Likes

I am sure there are days when the wait to get into Downtown Disney is hour + wait, especially on the weekends and during special events.

We were there last Tuesday, mid-afternoon. The lines for temperature check were about 2 deep. Once in, I venture to say that the walk ways are moderately crowded. In certain areas, there was not enough room for social distancing. But everyone wore a mask, when not eating. The benches and seating areas for the planter boxes were marked off as to where you could sit.

To get into the Confectionary, we signed in with our phone number. About an hour later, we got a text and went to stand in a socially distanced line to get into the store to get our sweets. In fact, almost all the stores had socially distanced lines to get in. People were dining indoors and outdoors. Tables indoors were marked off, if you could not sit there to achieve required maximum indoor seating and social distancing. Patio dining was also done well. The tables were socially distance and one restaurant had plexiglass on the back of the seats for each booth. Outdoor dining at restaurants outside of Downtown Disney were space closer than 6 feet.

We were in a number of public places in Orange and San Diego Counties where mask compliance was closer to 80% and social distancing wasn’t always possible due to crowds and narrow side walks and/or people choose not to social distance in lines. We felt much safer at Disney with its COVID-19 safety protocols.

3 Likes

I hope this link works! Great article on WDW’s reopening not causing virus surge.

4 Likes

Well the link works for me cuz I have a subscription :crazy_face:

2 Likes

And for the thousands and thousands that aren’t dead from covid? As a covid nurse, I can tell you your chances of recovery are pretty good. But I have also seen a spike in suicide and mental health patients. Our mental health absolutely does matter. And peoples livelihood. I am not minimizing covid at all, like I said, I have seen what it can do first hand, but the damage from these back and forth lockdowns is awful. Newsom’s blue print is unreasonable.

6 Likes

I keep thinking about the part of the article where it says Newsom wants daily new cases at or below 1/100,000. I don’t think this is realistic maybe even with a vaccine since so many will refuse to get it.

6 Likes

Link works for me because I know how to use the Wayback Machine. :smiley:

That makes no sense. Just the hospitalizations for the flu this year is 69/100,000.
So, he is basically saying Stay Locked Down Forever.

3 Likes

Maybe Newsom is changing his tune

4 Likes

I think this is really good news. I don’t know what will come of it, but I’m happy to see the State take steps to investigate further rather than stubbornly sticking to their original plan. I guess we’ll see what, if anything, comes from it!

7 Likes

Good news? Maybe…. Newsom keeps talking about science, data, and health, yet, it sounds like CA has yet to gather data on park protocols from around the country and world. This is a disservice to people, whose livelihoods are linked to CA theme parks.

As a CA tax-payer and employee, I also find this infuriating. In normal times, CA state employees are not allowed to travel out of state to one of a kind conferences or trainings related to their jobs. In a time when the economics are dragging CA down and its employees have taken a 10% pay cut, it seems rather luxurious to send a Team to FL to see for themselves how the protocols are working. I would think implementation and tours of FL protocols in the CA versions of WDW, Universal, Legoland, SeaWorld, etc. that are also in FL would suffice. Add in Zoom meetings with FL theme parks and that would be icing on the cake.

On different threads here, we have discussed what other states and counties are doing. Newson continues to say we are different, “We are California…we’re going to be stubborn in keeping people’s health front and center.” I find his comments insulting for other states and countries that have opened up successfully. We are all people, whose lives are all important. And I find his sentiments hollow because he certainly doesn’t care for the emotional, mental, and financial health of his people.

6 Likes

Yeah I think it all sounds rather reasonable until you think that WDW has been open for 3 months, Shanghai for even longer, and tens of thousands of jobs are hanging in limbo, and they haven’t started their research? I would be irked if I was an employee at a theme park.

As someone who merely wants to spend time and money at Disneyland, I’m disappointed, but will keep patiently waiting.

6 Likes

“We want to see things for ourselves,” Newsome emphasized.

This has got to be a joke. What are they expecting to find? Covid parties :thinking::frowning:

3 Likes

Wanting to see for themselves contradicts saying they care about the data. Does he think that people are coughing all over Disney World? Sidewalks lined with sick patients? Does he think they data is falsified?

1 Like

You know it kinda makes me wonder. I’m at a loss for words…

1 Like

Governor Newsom Already Sent “Secret Shoppers” to Disney World Last Week

2 Likes

that’s cool… hope they don’t hold Disney Springs against us though, cuz that place isn’t a good model.

1 Like

:joy:

Well, you know if they went with reps from Disney, they would have put on a show, so I kind of get the secret shopper mentality. If this is what they need to feel comfortable with letting them open, then I’m all for it!

On a separate note, I think it would behoove California to give Disney a firm number that they need to cap attendance at, however, after hearing that Disney is still saying attendance is capped at 25% at WDW. As another liner noted, Disney doesn’t really give us the full story on attendance numbers. So 25% is … vague and could mean many things.

3 Likes