Norwegian Bakery getting skooled ;)

Hello All, I was intending to go to EC alone today, but long story short DH joined me for a walk about the world show case. I’ve never said this aloud: I love living w/in driving distance of the world :heart: I’ve been their 3x this week, just in the evenings, but today had the day off and DH took PTO too. I don’t have a lot of pictures and wasn’t going to post anything about today but my food choices today demand attention. @missoverexcited you recommend I try vinegar on my chips… maybe I did it wrong, but not totally happy. I’m happy to try again w/ tips from UK experts.

@ryan1 and others have raved about Skool bread and OMG it was heaven; thank you! BUT I have to complain about the Kringel, that’s mainly why I’m here now. NO one should ever have to suffer bad Kringel so I’m sharing my family recipe. OK, some of you will never attempt making bread from scratch and if you were nearby I’d include you in my annual holiday tradition of baking and sharing this lovely bread that was miserably represented at Norway in EC today. My recipe is from my vonna ema (grandmother) direct translation: old mother. When I asked for Kingel today at Og I pronounced it how I learned in my Estonian family and the CM was confused. This bread should be sweet w/o the need for glaze atop, it shouldn’t be chewy to the point of a sore jaw. It’s delightful and not what I had at Kringla Bakeri Og Kafe today. My Auntie (Tädi Anne-liis) would fill it w/ poppy seed or apricot but I prefer silvered almonds on top. It will make five large braided loaves or many many small braids for sharing. Don’t forget to grease the loaf pans.

Finally some beauty from the Rivera today

18 Likes

Family recipes are the best! Thank you for sharing! It’s always good to know what is and isn’t authentic :heart:

2 Likes

One of my mother’s parents was born in Denmark - I’ve avoided most of the food at the Norway pavilion for exactly the reason you just described. I was afraid I would be disappointed! I used to have a a krumkake iron, don’t know if I still do. Mom used to make all the Scandinavian pastries, I miss them!

3 Likes

Ohhhh I remember using that iron with my grandmother. Soooo wonderful. My grandmother used to make pierogies too but no one taught me how. Don’t know why I’m so chicken to try.

1 Like

The school bread was really wonderful though.

1 Like

Now I’m wondering if I can remember how to make klejner when I come home from Disney. Need some cherry heering to make it a real old time Christmas lol!

1 Like

What a good idea

I think that normally the CMs are from Norway, but with the pandemic they have had to staff with American CMs. That might be why they looked at you confused. I could be wrong, though.

2 Likes

LOL! We are Chinese and avoid eating at the China pavilion. We ate there once. We felt that the food quality is similar to Panda Express. We are much better off eating other cultural foods without expectations. Besides, there are so many delicious things to eat at Epcot.

1 Like

You just splash it on and add salt!

Sorry you were disappointed by the kringel.

2 Likes

My stepmother is Chinese. Her favorite pavilion is Norway, and favorite restaurant is Akershus.

4 Likes

Splashing makes sense the packet as a dispenser was the problem. I’ll try again. TY

1 Like

Good point, they were definitely American. TY

Yes, they are all Americans in the stores now - we noticed because they were so friendly in Germany- we have found the German CM’s to be rude in the past.

I had School Bread twice this week :yum: …and the Gingerbread Sandwich Cookie from Germany that was amazing.

4 Likes

That’s sad to hear normal visiting CMs are rude but happy to hear American CMs are friendly. I have experienced lots of cheerful from CMs recently. Even those on mask :mask: compliance patrol

1 Like

I have not experienced that, personally. Maybe a culture thing? Germans are kind of like northerners in the US… Blunt, abrupt and to the point. Outsiders often day were rude, but it’s honestly but intended that way. It’s just our nature.

1 Like

My mother’s family was first generation German-American and I grew up eating a lot of “German” food (although as a kid, it was just “food”), so i was hesitant about Biergarten - but as it turns out its about the closest to my mother’s (and my own) German food as I have had in any restaurant.

3 Likes

I loved Akershus when it first opened as a real restaurant, but since it’s become a Princess paddock I refuse to go back

That’s good to hear. I’ve never tried it growing up around a lot of Germans and their good food.

We ate at Akershus in 2016. I asked how to pronounce 3 of the menu items and the waitress got proud, I think. When she said them, she got kind of loud and said it in a way that I didn’t even want to attempt. :slight_smile:

Loved that place.

2 Likes