No more smoking areas

Different times.

My DH used to be a bank teller in the 80s. He says he remembers being able to smoke at his teller window, even if there was a customer there. (He quit smoking 22 years ago)

DD4’s favorite song is “Rose Tattoo” by Dropkick Murphys. The word “cigarette” is in the first verse. About a month ago, she asked me, “Mom, what’s a cigarette?” I was more than a little proud that she didn’t know. :blush: My husband quit smoking altogether when she was about 1 (although by that time, it was mostly just a hunting season habit).

Can’t say quitting has saved us much money, as most of what he would have spent on cigs is put into playing Powerball etc., but at least we can both get enjoyment from fantasizing about winning! :yum:

6 Likes

I’m an ex-smoker, and I know how I feel.

Don’t really care, but lean towards the “That’s good” side. TBH, sometimes, I like the smell of smoke, most other times, it reeks.

1 Like

I liked the smell of a freshly lit cigarette while I was pregnant. So much that it made me crave a cigarette. The smell of smoke on someone is totally different and gross.

I’ve never been a smoker, except sometimes at bars in my college days.

1 Like

My MIL smokes. We have told our kids all the negatives about smoking and they think it’s gross, but then they would constantly want to know why “Granny” smokes and fear for her health. We have to draw a fine line between caution and reassurance, which can sometimes be difficult. Fortunately, the current vibe in society is helping us for once. It also helps that my MIL has cut back in recent years and doesn’t smoke a ton, but I have no idea how she could vacation at Disney with us now. But I, for one, am elated at the no smoking decision.

1 Like

I am 100% with you on this. We also struggle with a MIL who smokes, and kids who are completely disgusted with it. It’s a hard balance, but I like the support of those businesses around us in reinforcing to my kids why it’s not a good idea to even start.

1 Like