No more smoking areas

Yes, and I think this change could potentially make that worse. I have visions of companion restrooms being used for sneaky cigs… :mask:

3 Likes

I didn’t even realize there WERE smoking areas - when we were there a few weeks ago I realized that I hadn’t seen anybody smoking the whole time I’d been there.

2 Likes

People will definitely still be vaping. People vape in the malls here, and in schools, and any time they can get away with it. I work in a high school and the students go in the bathroom and in 30 seconds can smoke a Juul (a small e-cig device) and no one even knows about it. It’s a huge problem, and most people who vape are of the attitude that vaping is not dangerous and so do not care where or when they do it.

2 Likes

I have seen people vape on line at Disney, that will be a hard one to get to stop.

1 Like

This is wonderful news! Nothing worse than smelling smoke on or around people.

1 Like

So I assume now the smokers get to take 10 or so half-hour breaks every day instead of only 5 minutes?

yep - to quote a former boss, “that pig is too far down the belly of that snake” . I can forsee no smoking areas only increasing this. Again, I am not judging. I do not care for the smell of either. At least with “areas” it somewhat contains the smoke to an area.

1 Like

Hehe. Well, our work is salaried, not hourly. So as long as they are THINKING about work while smoking, it is all good. :wink:

Does anyone else remember having to choose your desk in your university classes carefully, because you were allowed to smoke… and sometimes even the professor was smoking at the front of the class. No, I’m not really all that old, either.

As for the vaping in school… out local high school has an automatic suspension, if caught and kids have been caught, so they’re patrolling the bathrooms. DS16 said he has a few friends that started vaping when they were younger “just the nicotine free stuff”. (What’s wrong with candy floss flavour, mom? Normally you don’t inhale candy floss, dear!) Anyway, he said all of them are now addicted. It turns out that nicotine free wasn’t exactly completely nicotine free. I wonder when the makers are going to be held accountable?

We used to be able to smoke at high school, outside, but it was allowed. I don’t remember being able to smoke in class in college but we did in the cafeterias.

For me, no smoking allowed in nor outside of high school, and no smoking inside any buildings while at college. I’m sure there were smokers outside, I just have no recollection of it, frankly. I didn’t really hang out with anyone who smoked, though.

My high school was made up of many small buildings with outside walkways connecting them. Most times to get from class to another you had to go outside. It was kind of set up like the Hub at MK. Between each class all us derelict smokers would meet out in the middle, it was a social thing.

As a non-smoking family, I only see this as a positive. Making it less socially acceptable to smoke in public has lead to a further decrease in overall smoking and has saved lives.

5 Likes

Yes, it is a suspension in my school as well. Catching students and proving they are using Juuls is nearly impossible, however. We confiscate several a week, but there are probably dozens being used per day.

Actually there was a smoking area in a great viewing spot for Illuminations, and it was also the stroller EVC path to another viewing area.

We had a moment explaining to the kids how cigarette smoke used to be a part of life even on planes with the smoking sections and cigarette machines. They said whoa, really? They will not even remember Smoking or Non? when being seated at a restaurant. How times have changed.

2 Likes

So the article was just about Land, not World?

Pretty much describes my experience, although I have never smoked. Smoking was “legal” at 16 back then (and drinking was legal at 18).

1 Like

WDW is included; no smoking in any of the 4 major parks or the two water parks.

I had my son in 1986. I smoked in the hospital after I had him. I had quit while I was pregnant but lit up again immediately.

We also smoked on a non stop flight from Chicago to Orlando in 1988.

I haven’t smoked for 17 years now and I don’t miss it one bit. I regret the years I did smoke and smoking around my children.

4 Likes