No more Ducks on DCL?

Did anyone else see that Disney is prohibiting the hiding of the rubber ducks? I don’t really get it. We certainly weren’t obsessive but my kids enjoyed finding them every now and then. But I know there are families for whom this is a very big deal. What gives? Sometimes I don’t think Disney can get out of it’s own way.

3 Likes

Ok like how will they enforce that?

3 Likes

I don’t know. I was under the impression that the staff would take them. (But they have to find them first! Hahahaha)

4 Likes

I heard about this on some of the cruise news you tube videos I watch. I hadn’t heard about it before, but it seems pretty harmless to me. I got the impression it sometimes became a problem for the staff.

I saw a post about this as well, and my impression was that it was probably always the case that Disney didn’t officially sanction and instructed staff to take them if they saw them. I would expect status quo to continue.

1 Like

As of now, DCL has not said anything about the ducks. What we have is an unsourced Disney forum post with lots of supposed changes DCL is making and a post on planDisney which doesn’t always have accurate info. Until DCL officially says something about it, I’d say it’s much ado about nothing.

1 Like

I saw the perhaps the same post and while it could totally be a random person on the internet, that poster appears to have, at least from my quick glance, a documented online (anonymous) history of being a DCL CM and the instructions they posted without the source, were mostly re-iterations/clarifications of policies that Disney is focusing on to enforce more (the other one I saw on that post is no bringing a popcorn bucket from home to use for refills, we totally have brought 2 popcorn buckets and gotten the cheap refills without buying a new bucket & were surprised that we could!).

If it is really changing though, at this point it just seems to be that Disney’s asking ship CMs to now grab the ducks as they see them instead of allowing for them to be found. And it does seem to vary ship to ship. But yes, with no official post from Disney, it’s a lot of back & forth right now.

DH & I feel like a bunch of lawyers have gotten a hold of the controls and are going down all the list of liabilities they are open to and tightening up on policies that help them mitigate that exposure (and also helping the bottom line with lots of small things like, not maintaining Castaway Cay status for longer than 5 years, not being able to bring a popcorn bucket back on). That’s just what it feels like right now.

Oh, this all reminds me: Our cousins that we cruised with last March are on a cruise with DH’s cousins’ wife’s parents & siblings right now and I should ask her the on the ground info for the Fantasy.

1 Like

When I first read the article last week about the ducks (and I can’t remember where I read it), my first thought was Disney is trying to limit liability. After all, Disney can’t really control the ducks outside of removing them. And who’s to say these ducks won’t be used for a nefarious person. It’s sad to think in those terms but with the timing, I think your reasoning is spot on. A bunch of lawyers are trying to get ahead of any potential future problem.

1 Like