Next week's weather bringing me down

Anyone else visiting next week? It was looking perfectly delightful with 60 highs and 40 lows… now the forecast has added rain to that mix, and i’m super nervous. I’m from houston, so rain is not frightening, but when its chilly out I get nervous with the kids. My anxiety prone self is seeing that there are “AM Showers” on the only day I wanted to go to EMH at MK :frowning: Anyone else deal with this before, and have tips?

I’ll be there starting Friday and I have been watching the weather too. I’m also disappointed about the potential for rain now–but when it rains the parks tend to be less crowded which is good. Because it isn’t going to be warm I’m planning on bringing an actual rain jacket rather than a poncho.

2 Likes

I just really hope it changes! I feel so nervous about it with kids.

Yeah, rain is not unusual for Florida but, rain + cold = not happy kiddos. I think it will just require you to pack jackets or hoodies that may need to be carried all day (if it ends up getting warmer). I love rain but not when it’s cold so I tend to overdress in those situations. Always better to be prepared imo.

2 Likes

No good comes from looking at forecasts. They’re so unreliable. When I was at WDW in December I woke up to tornado warnings! There were none.

Just have a weather plan. Carry clothing options. And know where the escape routes are. For example: last time I was in MK it started raining — I dived into Country Bear Jamboree, which I’ve never seen before. It was kinda fun, and after it was over the rain had been and gone.

5 Likes

I agree with @profmatt. On our last trip, it was predicted to rain most days and we saw one brief rain shower one day. The weather changes so rapidly, I wouldn’t get too bummed out just yet. Prepare and plan for it, but don’t get too upset by it. It will likely change six more times before you go!

2 Likes

We will be at WDW starting Friday as well and I too am concerned about how chilly/rainy it might be. We are packing for so many “possibilities” that our suitcases are pretty full.

I’m pretty sure I’m the bad luck charm- our last three trips to Orlando have been well below average temps. Next time, I’ll have to let you all know when we are going so you can avoid our week :frowning:

1 Like

Just today at home in England my two main weather apps were contradicting each other: one said rain, the other said none. As the day wore on they began to agree that it would rain. Would my dog-walking plans be doomed?

No. It didn’t rain at all.

2 Likes

I was thinking maybe i’m the bad luck! lol Hopefully we can cancel eachother out!

Thanks so much for all the comfort, it’s helped! Any other hiding spots yall recommend in every park would be appreciated!

We had 100% chance of snow last night between 11-midnight. We had torrential rain instead. The only accurate weather report is looking out of the window.

4 Likes

Any of you remember the “weather rock”? They were all the rage for about 12 seconds. But we had one. It had a rock hanging from a string with a stand that said something like, “If I’m wet, there’s rain. If I’m white, there’s snow. If I’m under water, there a flood.” That kind of thing. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I still see those kind of things at pumpkin patches and other such places. They make me laugh. The one at our pumpkin patch has the back end of a donkey with a rope tail hanging off and the “if I’m wet, etc.” next to it.

I’ve seen one somewhere, really made me laugh.

@ifraha We are also there next week - arriving Saturday. Our last trip was in May 2017 and it was “unseasonably warm” aka 90-100 degrees of pure grossness. So now we are going in Jan, which is scheduled to be freezing at night. GREAT. UGH.

I will say rain in Orlando tends to be very scattered and usually don’t last too long. But I am also scared of rain + cold. If I wanted that I would have stayed here in New England!

2 Likes

This is partly why I never go to DLP despite living in actual England. It’s generally warmer there than here but that’s not saying much.

1 Like

I’m also getting there Saturday! A little disappointed to see the rain, since Florida winters are typically drier (at least compared to hurricane season!), but it’ll be fine. We’ll have a blast no matter what it’s like. And if it’s raining, maybe it’ll keep some of the crowds away! :wink:

4 Likes

One suggestion: If you bring extra clothes in case of weather changes and plan to get a locker, be aware that you need a credit card to rent a locker in at least some of the parks. We only had our magic bands at AK and ended up having to carry our water park bag with us for the day because there was no way to pay for the locker without a credit card!

Just be advised that if you pack your jackets and raincoats it won’t rain and will be warmer than expected. If you don’t then it will be cold and rainy. So plan accordingly :wink:

4 Likes

Then i’m definitely packing lots of rain gear! lol

1 Like