Newbie to Universal - Onsite vs Offsite and Parking

Planning a trip in 2020 to Universal Orlando for the first time. Need to get some tips on staying on site vs offsite as we are tight on budget. Any good offsite hotels that you will recommend.
Also do we need express passes if planning on staying 4 days ( 3 parks basic ticket) the second week of April ?

I have been to Universal with an express pass and without. Of course I prefer the express pass but there are times it might not be needed. I believe your trip will be around Passover, Good Friday, Easter? How many in your group? If you could manage one of the deluxe resorts, with free express pass, it might be a decent value.

1 Like

Those weeks before and after Easter are one of the most crowded times in Orlando in general. Check crowd calendars to see what you are comfortable with. I’ve been eyeing the week after Easter and would not do it without express, but I’m incredibly adverse to standing in line. Really I’m thinking not to go then b/c of the crowds, thinking to push back to late August when it is bad weather but less crowds.

2 Likes

party of 4

Yes , it will be the week after Easter Sunday i,e 4/13 :frowning: that is when my kids are getting spring break from school

1 Like

Four express passes daily during that time is about the cost of a deluxe resort room?

1 Like

Yes mine too. Those weeks before and after Easter are the most popular for spring breaks, unfortunately.

On April 13
A 1 park express pass is $129.99, lets you skip the line once on each ride. Express passes for a party of four would be $520 plus tax
A 1 Park unlimited express pass is 159.99. Express passes for a party of four would be $639 plus tax
A night at Royal Pacific resort for 4/13 is $520, and you get express passes the day you check in through and including the day you checkout.

2 Likes

I will also point out that Easter season is a time when the hotels are very expensive (I’m assuming also the Xmas season but I’m not going to try that so haven’t checked). I stayed at the Portofino over Thanksgiving week (where kids get only a few days off school instead of a week or more). The same room then is about 2/3 the cost of the room at the week after Easter. I also am checking mid to late August and am finding the same rooms for hotels then to be about half the cost of Easter week. So, the holiday when more kids are off school is basically twice the hotel cost. My kids go back to school later in August than most so the hotel cost is dropping then. Also, there is hot / humid weather and hurricane season.

My general rule of thumb is Express Passes are not needed where at FP almost feel like a requirement at Disney. If you get to the park before open, follow a touring plan, and make good time you’ll stay ahead of the crowds all day. If you do want an Express Pass the most economical way, as others have said, is to book at room at a Premier Resort which includes Express pass on your check in day through your check out day.

1 Like