New TouringPlans User Experience

Looks good to me. When does it go live?

I suspect it will be a while. The lead time from UX design to implementation is usually fairly lengthy.

1 Like

@len, this looks great and I could see right away how it works. Please post all of your new ideas! I am at the height of using touring plans right now for a trip 64 days out so I have a few ideas fresh in my mind that I would like to share. I know this is long so first let me say that I love, love , love the software and what it has done for our trip planning. These are just things I have recently come across.
First, please make the days I choose for my trip printable as its own little calendar. I spent a whole day copying and pasting and cutting and taping several different scenarios when we were first planning so I could lay out everything in front of me. If I could have just printed each grouping of days that would have been so much easier. Next, on the fast pass options in a plan, please change how the “groups” are listed. I believe Group 1 choices are tier 2 and Group 2 choices are tier 1? If that is what the groups mean, it is counter intuitive. But really, they don’t explain what they mean. Also, please tell me what tiers the FP’s are in that park on that section for FP choices. I have to keep going back somewhere to find out. And it would be helpful here if something popped up that says “You already chose a tier 1 FP, are you sure you want to add another?” So I don’t make this awesome plan with 2 FOP’s in it! Another really big one for me was hitting “Optimize” when I really meant to “Evaluate”. Ahhhh! I did this so many times to some really great plans and blew them away in an instant. Can you give us an interim button that says “are you sure you want to change this forever?” Then, when I print out my finalized plan, it would be great if I could size it myself so I can get everything on 1 page. Maybe give the choice to not print the map on there? One last thing.
My plans are cutting me off for some shows and nighttime experiences because they think they will close earlier than they actually will on my dates. (For instance, the trails and Awakenings in AK) I know this is tied to the fact that Disney does not update hours very far in advance, but it would be great if TP let me put those items on anyway and not blow up the plan with everything after 4:30 pm getting an N/A and 30,000 minutes in line. TP could still give big red warnings that tell me I have things added after they close and then it would be on me if I chose to disavow the warnings.
Thanks for reading! And again, I really appreciate what the software and website does. It amazes me over and over how comprehensive the whole package is. Truly one of a kind in Disney planning. :grinning:

2 Likes

I like that a lot! Particularly the bar graph whch gives a clear visual of where there are low points in the month. Much easier to glean that info at a glance than to scroll through the whole month converting numbers in your brain into this very thing.

I do think the term “crowd calendar” has been a point of contention for many people since really what you’re projecting is wait times and have been very clear about saying the number does not reflect the number of bodies in the park - although the two may correlate. I like the idea of cosidering renaming it to “Lines”. Hmm… that’s kind of catchy. I feel like I know it from somewhere else…

@JJT that is over the top nerdy - and I love it! How do I get one?!

2 Likes

These are great and I think it is wonderful that you are seeking feedback from this group!

If you like that sort of thing check out Edward Tufte’s books like Visual Display of Quantitative Information. I took his classes up in Boston years ago and they were great.

You can actually buy that poster on his site, as well as another really cool one (I also have :star_struck:) that depicts Napoleon’s March and loss in the Russian campaign of 1812.

See them here:
https://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/posters

2 Likes

There goes a bunch of my hours today :smiley:

Thanks!

1 Like

Agreed!!

This or a cancel button.

Most definitely!

As long as the graph that shows the time line ups & downs for each attraction per day is still there, I think I’m good. Next trip isn’t for awhile, but I’m crazy enough to “play” with TP just out of curiosity & to live a little vicariously. Good preparation for trips too.

I really like the bar graph for choose your day.

Functionality I wish it had is to export my touring plan to excel or csv. I have a spreadsheet for my budget etc and would like an easier way to create a view of my whole trip in excel. I use the print then copy it but it’s not as easy as it could be.

2 Likes

Second the idea to have an “are you sure” check before optimize or else an undo option.

Other things that the forum helps you figure out a way around but would be great if they were computer options:

• ability to lock a ride time frame so I could optimize around knowing I want to do X ride during at a certain period of time.
  • ability to tell it you WILL be near the front of the rope drop not walzing into the park at “park open”
  • a tip note that you can drag a ride in your plan on a computer to move its order in your plan but not on a phone/iPad (took me ages to realize the former) - or enable this feature on a phone/iPad too.
  • when it will not let you evaluate due to overlapping times tell you WHICH items are overlapping to make it easier to fix.
  • do not stop taking walking distance into account around a break time. Make the system presume you take your break wherever you were before it unless you say it is out of park.
  • create an option for creating a non-times plan for non-park days to lay out what you intend to do in a similar format.
3 Likes