New Timer Confession

Sugarcreek. Tiny little town down in Amish Country. I moved to Texas four years ago, but that was home for 40. :slight_smile:

Oh yes, I know where that is! My husband is from Westfield Center so he claims his parents dragged him to ā€œAmish Countryā€ all the time! I want to go there more times now, but of course he never does! I could eat eat Der Dutchman every day though. Lordy, Iā€™m sure I butchered its spelling!

3 Likes

I so very much miss Der Dutchman cream sticks. So. Much. And their cinnamon rolls?!? I went to Gastonā€™s a few weeks ago, hoping theirs were on par.
Meh. Not so much.
They need an Amish bakery on Main St USA.

4 Likes

Studies consistently show that vacation planning is as valuable to a person as the actual vacation.

12 Likes

This is me. I love to plan vacations and have discovered that all the pre-planning I do beforehand makes the actual vacation much more relaxing and fun.

9 Likes

My wife pointed out the very important distinction between a ā€œtripā€ and a ā€œvacationā€. This year weā€™re taking a Trip to WDW, last year we took a combined Trip/Vacation to Universal and Siesta Key. We try to alternate between trips and vacations to maintain household harmony.

3 Likes

Our big summer trip this year will be one week at WDW and one week at the beach. Itā€™s a perfect combination for our family.

Our big summer trip last year was to New York. We did just as much planning, if not more, than we would do for a WDW vacation. I knew it would not be, and it was not relaxing at all! But it was still a good experience.

Next year our big summer trip will be to Maine. I know I need to start planning if weā€™re going to enjoy ourselves and not wander around the state like fools.

I hope your family has a great vacation and that all your planning pays off.

3 Likes

That may be very true
I can commiserate with the burn-outā€¦I found I just had to step away from all the plans after about 6 monthsā€¦and only get involved again at 60 days for FPP. And I had to make myself quit the constant tinkeringā€¦but the vacation itself was beyond amazingā€¦mostly because all that planning gave us a map of sorts to follow while many of those around us were flailing around without a plan or a goalā€¦short waits for rides, TS meals when we wanted, rest when we wanted. We never felt rushed or stressedā€¦obsessive?..yesā€¦helpful?..very
.Like @PrincipalTinker I prefer to think of myself as a freakā€¦ :grinning:

6 Likes

Iā€™ll just leave this here:

17 Likes

I suppose everyone is weird in their own way. Though itā€™s hard to consider typing in acronyms anything unusual these days.

I also spent a year planning, though the first half was more about how to afford it. and I loved the planning, especially figuring out our FPs and how to order the days. It was like a big puzzle, but with no one right way to put it together. In the final days, it suddenly wasnā€™t fun at all, but I followed my packing list and got us there, where we had a great time. We followed my plans ~80% and improvised the rest depending on how the timing was going and what random unexpected things came up that we wanted to do.

4 Likes

I gave u a shout out on the other side :blush:

1 Like

Iā€™m a planner and love the planning of a Disney trip almost as much as the trip itself! My husband says I have a ā€œproblemā€ with the amount of time I spend reading, planning, and looking at all things Disney. I agree, but see it as a hobby and not a problem (of course he is kidding with me :smile:). Our first Disney trip when our daughters were 2 and 5 and my mom went with us I had a spread sheet for the week and they laughed at me for it. By day 2 they were asking to see the spreadsheet and both commented at the end of the week that it was the ā€œperfectā€ week because we got to do everything we wanted to and were not running around crazy all day every day trying to figure out how to do it all. This Sept. will be our third trip as a family and I started planning it as soon as we left Disney/Disney cruise last September! What can I say, the planning makes me happy and if that makes me weird then thatā€™s totally okay! Hope you enjoy your trip and see that your planning was worth it!

8 Likes

Well, I think sitting on a beach is awful and boring. But I dont make a point to insult people who like it. Because I am not a jerk.

12 Likes

I have to get in on this. I went to a wedding once in Walnut Creek (not far from Sugarcreek) and I loved the whole area. And we ate at Der Dutchman!!! So cool to see you mention that place.

2 Likes

And now Iā€™m singing the Doors ā€œbreak on through to the other sideā€. My kids are rolling their eyes.

1 Like

Ack! The gift shop across from Der Dutchman? My first job in high school.
And everybody sing ā€œItā€™s a Small World After Allā€.

2 Likes

Come on in to the party! Lol!!!

1 Like

OK, u r a riot!!! Iā€™m dying over here!

I agree with the ā€œyouā€™re all oddā€ statement. Itā€™s odd that strangers have a vested interest in seeing other people have wonderful vacationsā€¦ Oddly refreshing. Iā€™m greatful for each tip thatā€™s posted. i appreciate the information overload provided here - which I can use or ignore but thatā€™s provided at every hour of the day. It is odd, indeed, that people Iā€™ve never met are gracious enough to answer each and every question Iā€™ve thrown out thereā€¦ This forum is such a great resource, but it is odd that people care. I wish the real world could be this odd.

30 Likes

Wow- pixie dust is in my eyes!

4 Likes