New Show Lightning McQueen's Racing Academy

When is the New Show Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy going to be added to the Hollywood Studios touring plan? It is set to open in early 2019 and would like to add it in to my touring plan.

I would imagine once there is an actual opening date confirmed by Disney, and a schedule of shows added to the Disney site that TP can use to schedule it.

According the Parks Blog, it’s now being listed as “Spring 2019” vice “early 2019”. I don’t know if there is any significance to this; in Disney parlance, “early” typically means the first half of the year, which could mean anything from January to June and “Spring” usually mean the March-May timeframe, but could also mean anything before Memorial Day weekend… They might be shooting for Spring Break Season (March) or Easter (April 21st in 2019).

Any new information about this out there?

1 Like

Did some research and found this quoted from Disney Parks Blog:

"Taking on the role of rookie racer, you’ll cruise into the theater and find yourself face-to-face with Lightning McQueen, appearing live on stage. McQueen and the entire audience are enveloped by a giant, wraparound screen that is nearly two stories tall and stretches more than 200 feet from end to end, pulling everyone into the action! The racing legend is excited to showcase what he’s learned over the years. Of course, as Lightning McQueen has discovered throughout his career, things don’t always go according to plan, and he has to think fast to get back on course. Friends like Tow Mater, Cruz Ramirez and Lightning’s pals from Radiator Springs chime in with their support, as Lightning gears up for the challenge.​​

Disney Parks Live Entertainment is working closely with the creative team at Pixar Animation Studios to bring this new “Cars” story to life. Stay tuned to Disney Parks Blog in the coming months, as we share more about Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy on the road to its spring 2019 grand opening, and be sure to catch the behind-the-scenes look at the attraction in the “Disney Parks Presents a 25 Days of Christmas Holiday Party” starting today on the DisneyNOW app and airing December 1 at 8 p.m. EST on Disney Channel.​"

Meh, was hoping it would be ready for our end of Feb trip. Ah well.

I’m able to add it to my TP, but my plans are for late June.

I seem to remember reading that June 24th was the official opening - but don’t quote this as absolute fact. I’m not going until Dec, so I have not been following all that closely.

I think opening is March 31.

1 Like

You are correct; I must have been thinking of something else.

It opens March 31 and Disney still hasn’t posted show times. It’s annoyingly as I want to finalize plans. TP had times listed but I think they’re guesses.

Im going to be at HS April 23 and hope to check it out!

Let us know how the crowds are there. I’m scheduled to get to the show 15 minutes ahead but not sure if that’s enough time.

I shall try, I have FPP set up for RnRC at 1030 then ToT at 1130 so maybe between those or after. Of course we will need lunch in there and the FPP for Slinky at 1420… ahhh planning lol :joy:

We’re going to try to see it 4/1 - hope it works out!

1 Like

The latest info I have is that the show is around 10 minutes long, and runs continuously. A bit like Muppets or the Laugh Floor. And no FPs - for now at least, nothing about longer term.

2 Likes

Where did you hear this? This contradicts TP with set times and a 20 minute duration.

No FPP for this and about 10 mins long. The longest wait is as long as the show before and turning the theater. Plenty of space when we went at about noon, lots of people dont seem to know it exists hidden back by RnRc.

Just wanted to share my thoughts. My kids 2 and 4 (DD2 is Cars obsessed) and my DH loved it. I thought it was just ok but the kids loved seeing the “real” Lightening. It’s such a short show with little wait that it doesn’t waste much time to see it.

4 Likes

Thanks Flutegarden. My DGSs will be the same ages when we go and both are Cars obsessed. I assumed the “live” McQueen would just about be enough for them to love it.