New SeaWorld Coaster

It looks like SeaWorld is not going to be reopening the Antarctica: Empire of the Penguin dark ride. Instead they will be installing a “family” coaster in the area in 2024 - Penguin Trek!

6 Likes

How long has the dark ride been closed? I don’t even remember seeing an entrance to it or any reference to it when we went last year.

New coaster sounds fun :smiley:

2 Likes

It ran from 2013 - 2020. It didn’t reopen after the pandemic.

5 Likes

Aw, shame it’s gone/going.

Still… new ride :smiley::smiley::partying_face::partying_face:

2 Likes

It was right there where Expedition Cafe is… The area was roped off when I went Feb 2022.

I liked SeaWorld, but Pipeline & this family coaster aren’t enough to plan another trip for…

4 Likes

OMG! I’m still just watching the play though.
That looks like a really cool ride.
DD would have LOVED that. Penguins are one of her favourites.
I’m sad it’s gone now and I never even knew it existed :sob::rofl::sob::rofl:

3 Likes

Same for my DD! It’s a shame we’ve never made it a priority to visit Sea World on one of the many trips to Orlando. I was talking to DH the other day. And after our December trip, he wants 1 non-Disney day per trip. He thinks we should broaden our vacation horizons :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

We had one day at SeaWorld for the first time last year. It turns out that some of our favourite coasters are there :smiley::smiley:!!

3 Likes

It was my first time last year. I loved Manta & Mako! Those big hills on Mako were my favorite!!

4 Likes

Their coaster are awesome!!

3 Likes

I likw coasters but DH can only do 1 or 2. I think thats what keeps me coming back to WDW. There are just so many themed attractions that aren’t coasters.

2 Likes

I know it isn’t politically correct to say so…but SeaWorld just doesn’t seem like SeaWorld without Shamu!

I have never been to the one in Florida…only the one in Ohio when it was still a thing. Shows how long it has been.

Anyhow…when I have pondered possibly maybe going to someplace other than WDW or UOR, I would pick Busch Gardens over SeaWorld. Maybe one day?

Is it better for young kids? I wonder if taking our eventual grandkids there might be the impetus to finally go.

1 Like

There are still orca shows at SeaWorld – I saw one last October in San Diego. They don’t have trainers in the water anymore and the focus is more on education than entertainment, but the whales still jump and splash the audience and all that.

1 Like

Really? I thought after Blackfish, and all the other bad publicity, all that went by the wayside! Interesting.

1 Like

IIRC, they initially said they were going to phase them out, then the parks changed ownership and they decided to just change the format. My understanding is that they don’t take on new whales other than those bred in captivity, among the other changes I mentioned above.

Ah! That makes sense. They can’t release those into the wild…so only other option would be to euthanize them…which also wouldn’t settle well with the public, for sure! (And the orcas wouldn’t be too happy about it either!)

1 Like

I found this that says in 2016 they decided to end their breeding program so this will be the “last generation” of whales at their parks. They will continue the reformatted shows for “decades to come.”

https://seaworld.com/san-antonio/commitment/killer-whales/

Definitely not in terms of rides. Their coasters are intense. Although they do have the Sesame Street land.

We didn’t go to any animal shows, so I can’t speak to those.

1 Like

I watched the whale show and loved it. The dolphins are great too.

The majority of rides are thrill coasters.

However, if you find a cheap ticket on Orlando Informer or UT… like $60 - $70 there are enough aquariums and shows to keep everyone busy with a few family rides

1 Like

It’s been about 4 months. As of today, the final piece of track for Penguin Trek is now in place!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1752376284884132304

Scheduled to open “Spring” 2024!

Also…for those of us “hard core” theme park nerds. SeaWorld Corporate, as of yesterday, has changed their name to “United Parks & Resorts”. They’re still trying to shake off all the (well-deserved) bad press from “Blackfish”. Getting “SeaWorld” out of their business title is part of this…

2 Likes