New Offering - Dessert Party at California Grill

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/contemporary-resort/celebration-at-the-top/

1 Like

Thats a hard nope from me. Is this why they closed CG?!?
I get fireworks viewing parties have a steep price, but to close down an iconic restaurant for this is insanity.

5 Likes

I was just wondering the same thing.

1 Like

Do not like.

It better not be permanent

4 Likes

Might be worth it depending on how many “complimentary beverages” one can consume. :laughing:

3 Likes

Thinking the same thing here. And interesting they didn’t put any time parameters as to how long the event is or when to show up relative to the fireworks.

1 Like

Wait… I have a 7:45pm ADR for CG on 10/2 … and the link says it starts 10/2.

We don’t need the ADR since we got one for the evening before, but I find it interesting that it hasn’t been cancelled.

10/2 was the last date they accepted ADRs.

3 Likes

I don’t really get this, unless Enchantment won’t really require you to be in the park to fully appreciate the show. The whole point of the HEA dessert parties was a designated spot without camping out for a couple of hours in the heat. I assume they aren’t just doing away with castle projections, so I’m not sure I want to pay more to not be able to see them.

3 Likes

Agreed.

It I am going to pay for a dessert party, I want to be close to the castle and have a direct view of all of the projections.

Our CG dinner hits two big things…it is our first time dining there and with the virus still hanging around I am more comfortable watching the fireworks w/o the crowds (that aren’t required to wear their masks).

3 Likes

The projections are going to be on Main St too so maybe they will be better seen from further away? I don’t know.

Hehe

I wonder if you’ll be allowed out there now.

I damn sure would press hard on the fact you were able to reserve before this was announced.

1 Like

You can’t see Main Street from there.

2 Likes

So that’s a no then :joy:

1 Like

We are using our 10/1 reservation so I am expecting we should be okay then. I have been sharing the availablity of our 10/2 back up reservation to others, but now I don’t know if anyone will be able to grab it.

If we can’t figure a way to transfer it to someone else, I kind of want to hold on to it and see if they will try and cancel it on me.

3 Likes

So I have done the lawn seating with a dessert party but I noticed they are going to charge $15 more to do the fireworks view from TT. Is it better from the restaurant than the lawn because the lawn area was fantastic. I don’t even care about the desserts and booze. We had room to spread out and a straight view. That’s worth $99 to me! lol

and yes I too am not doing a dessert party for CG…I had rather eat the good food. I have done the pirates cruise and watched the fireworks from there but that was a whole event for the kids including the electrical pagent and time with Pan, Hook, Smee, snacks and party time, etc.

I prefer the lawn standing/sitting/laying down option to the seated TT party, because the view is better. At TT, you could be under the overhang, and even if not the castle is not straight ahead of you which bothers me. We love the dessert parties, not for the dessert, but for the view without a long wait.

2 Likes

Reading the Disney Parks Blog story about Fireworks shows, it says that

guests are welcomed to the private Sonoma and Napa Rooms at California Grill to sample a selection of specialty drinks, sushi and small plates… After an elevated cocktail hour, step outside to the observation deck on the 15th floor for a unique viewpoint of Disney Enchantment, complete with the synchronized music. The event continues back inside after the show with petit-fours, cordials and coffee.

So my reading of this, only part of CG will be used and only for a limited time before and after the show.

Also in this Blog post, information on EPCOT Harmonious Dining Packages.

5 Likes

Thoughts on which restaurant would be better viewing. They are charging more for Rose & Crown but that view seems sideways to the big ugly stargate. I would think Spice Road Table from behind has a more dead on view though if the projections are done from the Future World side of the lagoon my experience at Universal Studios with their water screens is that they aren’t very clear from the backside.

This seems like it is just charging for something that previously was “free”. (Seeing a pattern.)

If you had a meal at CG that day, you could go to the terrace to watch the fireworks. You didn’t have to pay extra.

Sounds like they are directly monetizing this instead now?

4 Likes

I wonder if the balcony will now only be for upcharge guests and not regular dining guests? Probably.

4 Likes