New MagicBands?

Last trip was 2 years ago. Will our MagicBands still work for ride photos? If not, could I get away with just getting 1 new MagicBand and making sure whoever is riding has it with them? I really don’t want or need any new bands.

You can also set your phone up so it triggers the ride photos through blue tooth. My DHs phone workes better than my MB+ that was struggling to stay linked to my phone and I got almost no ride photos.

2 Likes

MB2 have an average life of about 3 years, but how long was it between the time it was made and the time you got your hands on it? So that’s why they said the life is about 2 years. A year on the shelf may not be unheard of.

MB+s have an average life of 15 hours. But they are rechargable.

You could see if there are any MB2s left, though I wouldn’t be surprised if they are all about to lose the RFID capabilities. Using your phone might be best, as @heathernoel said.

2 Likes

How do you set your phone up to trigger ride photos?

1 Like

Its through the bluetooth - I’ll find out more!

We managed to get our phones to work. But it is important to make sure that you have the MDE actually open and running on your phone before you get on the ride. Don’t go into another app, otherwise it might not work. But once we found out that if the MDE app is the last app running, we managed to get our ride photos.

You do need to ensure it is set up in the app first. Magic Mobile.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip, @ryan1!

2 Likes

Well, we made the mistake of bringing our older MB2s, so it didn’t detect us on our first ride. So we had to get the MagicMobile working. Next time, we plan to bring our MB+s. Then we don’t have to think about it…but nice to know how to use Magic Mobile if you need it!

2 Likes

My MB+ didn’t work. Definitely make sure they are charged and syncing with your phone!

4 Likes

Just another reason I don’t want to shell out $25 for a new MagicBand.

2 Likes

I LOVE my 100th anniversary Alice in Wonderland band - it is my favorite one I have ever owned. But I am very salty it doesn’t reliably do more than open doors, charge things, and get me into queues.

2 Likes

And you have to think about charging it every night :frowning:

1 Like

The NFC chip inside will work theoretically forever (or until Disney gets rid of the entire system). That’s the chip where you need to touch something else, like a tapstyle or your room lock or a pay terminal. The RFID chip inside needs a battery to work, and once that battery dies on a MB or MB2, there’s not much we can do with that bit.

2 Likes

The MB+ are supposed to avoid that problem by making you charge them. And this.last trip I got zero on that one, a MB+, even when I tapped it to the picture on rides like EE!

2 Likes

I just asked for all my pictures. Luckily I know the exact time since Ryan’s came through.

1 Like