New info on ROTR virtual queue

If it’s that close, maybe the “haven’t exceeded your max ride limits” could just apply to the first BG drop of the day and then the second could be open to “anyone in the park”?

Or automatically put those that have hit max ride limits into backup BG?

I just feel so blessed that WDW isn’t a once-in-a-lifetime expense for us, and really feel for anyone that really has to watch their pennies to make it happen not getting to have such a highlighted experience.

3 Likes

Yep, that’s what I’m doing. And I will most likely be able to change parks last minute.

Bless you for caring! :heart:

(For the record, I care as well. :wink:)

1 Like

I have no dog in the fight as I am a weird bird who has zero interest in this ride, but I’ve thought they should not only do that, but also find a way to prevent everyone in a group of say 4 trying and all 4 getting a boarding group. Not sure how they could fix that, but I could see it happening. I’ve been to enough Broadway show lotteries (back when they were in person…and when there was Broadway) where pairs make friends with pairs round them and do the “if both of us win, we’ll give you the second set” and then all 4 end up getting called to know that it could theoretically happen. (Granted in the lottery case either they offer it to another pair around them or they say they don’t need it and another name is drawn. Not much other than somehow releasing it to do after the fact.)

I don’t think that works with how it’s set up. You have to link your tickets in MDE and once you get a BG, everyone in the BG is locked out. You don’t just claim a BG for an unnamed party of 4 or whatever.

I think multiple party members trying increases your odds, but it doesn’t give you extra rides.

1 Like

Gotcha. I had not heard/read that. I thought that whoever got in got in.

No, everyone else would use the current system.

And the HUGE downside of this is that DHS will become almost impossible to book unless you do so well in advance.

People may book as many DHS days as they can, knowing that on the actual day they can always switch to another park if they don’t get a BG.

I think DHS is already unavailable for resort guests for much of December, I have to wonder if that’s because a lot of people are switching to maximise chances of getting a BG.

1 Like

There isn’t enough capacity to give everyone a ride. So how do they choose who gets one? First x number of people to book DHS for the day?

Then those that don’t get one cancels their DHS park reservation and switches elsewhere, and there’s much less incentive for people to go to DHS.

And if the ride goes down those people then have no chance of even trying again on a different day.

1 Like

The maths would probably work now, with park capacity being limited, if they were able to run the ride with no social distancing.

But even with the barriers there will only be two parties per vehicle.

I’ve never ridden it, so without any spoilers please, how many people normally are in a single vehicle*? I thought it was something like 8-10.

Bearing in mind a party can be one person, I believe the ride is currently running at somewhere around 30% capacity. It might increase to 50% I guess, accounting for single riders & couples and also larger groups (if each partition seats 4, then a group of 5 will have the whole vehicle to themselves).

HS for all of December has been unavailable for about a week. But it will be interesting if this change affects January and February.

I would agree that average ride capacity should now be at least 50%. Hopefully.

1 Like

Full capacity for each ride vehicle is 8, 2 rows of 4

2 Likes

True. However, there is still the issue of MMRR being a 70-90min wait most of the day as well as long waits for SSD and such. With no FPP its still vital to get as much done at RD to help reduce the waiting in lines the whole day. So for a lot of people that are not only interested in ROTR but also in doing the rest of HS, RD is still key.

1 Like

I thought part of the MMRR issue was people needing something to do while waiting for 10 to try for their boarding group. With the lack of need to be in the park at 10 there MIGHT be a spreading of arrivals and the crowd to cut down on that line building so soon.

3 Likes

I got an email today for my upcoming park reservation on Wednesday… it’s the virtual challenge of trying to secure a BG from ‘nearby’ aka home… an hour from WDW.

email content:
Star Wars : Rise of the Resistance…
enter the virtual queue

We’re excited you have a reservation to visit Disney’s Hollywood Studios ®. And whether you’re a fan of the Force or just a fan of big fun, we’ve got some news you should find pretty exciting too! Star Wars : Rise of the Resistance will be using a virtual queue in the My Disney Experience * app.

And if you’ve joined the Resistance before, you’ll want to note a few changes to the process:

Guests with a valid ticket or pass and a Disney Park Pass Reservation for Disney’s Hollywood Studios will be able to access the virtual queue system starting at 7 a.m. on the day of their Theme Park reservation to check for an available boarding group. This can be done before you leave your Resort hotel or wherever else you happen to be nearby at that time.|

A second round of virtual queue inventory will still be released at 2 p.m. for anyone who wasn’t already able to join a boarding group earlier in the day. Keep in mind, Guests must be inside Disney’s Hollywood Studios to access this second virtual queue opportunity, and access to a boarding group is subject to availability and not guaranteed.

Tips for getting into the virtual queue
Before your visit, make sure you have done the following:

Have an account in My Disney Experience .

Download the My Disney Experience mobile app on your smart device or ensure you have the most updated version of the app.|
|•|Turn on push notifications for the My Disney Experience app.|
|•|Link and assign all Theme Park tickets in your party to a My Disney Experience account to enroll everyone in the virtual queue at the same time. Have a valid Disney Park Pass reservation for Disney’s Hollywood Studios for the day.||||

On the day of your park visit:

Open the My Disney Experience app on your smart device at one of the distribution times (7 a.m. or 2 p.m.) and select " Star Wars : Rise of the Resistance Virtual Queue" on the home screen.

You will then be able to view the current status and next steps for joining the virtual queue. The app will indicate when there is no availability for a specific distribution time. Some Guests may join backup groups

In order to give as many Guests as possible the opportunity to join the Resistance, each Guest can enter the virtual queue no more than once per day.

Make sure push notifications are turned ON for My Disney Experience so you’ll be alerted if your group is called to return. You’ll have up to an hour from the time of the alert to go to the entrance of Star Wars : Rise of the Resistance.

Virtual queue is only accessible via the My Disney Experience app. You must use the app on a smart device rather than using a browser when attempting to enroll in the virtual queue for the 7 a.m. enrollment time. Guests who need additional help joining the virtual queue for the 2 p.m. enrollment time should seek out a Guest Relations or Guest Experience Team Cast Member at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

Please note that joining the virtual queue does not guarantee the ability to experience Star Wars : Rise of the Resistance. The virtual queue for this popular attraction tends to fill quickly.

*App includes products for purchase. Availability subject to device limitations and features may vary by device or service provider. Message and data rates may apply. Coverage not available everywhere. If you’re under 18, get your parents’ permission first.

3 Likes

I practiced at 7am. If successful, you get “No park reservation found”. If not, same as before, that distribution is already complete. I exited out and did it 3 times in a row until it said they were gone (about 7:00:30).

3 Likes

Great info, thank you!

Not yet sure if it auto detects those in your party with a park pass the same way it did for those tapped into the park. I’m sure there’s info on that already, but I haven’t searched for it yet.

Let’s hope so and that there are minimal issues. I’m sure that 30 seconds will dwindle to closer to 10 once everyone is aware of the time change. I hope they keep it this way for a while, gives me more flexibility for my next visit.

1 Like

Oops, guess the first day didn’t go great

1 Like