New discounts - April 2024

As expected, new discounts announced for resorts being actively sold plus OKW.

4 Likes

Wow - if they will give you “Welcome Home” and rhe buyback for OKW - those prices are getting low.

Glad they are making this more straightforward!

1 Like

I don’t think they are for OKW, it isn’t shown on the chart. It would be interesting to find out for sure though.

For 150 points OKW comes down to $165 for a new buyer. That’s quite a bit less than $208 for Riviera, for example.

1 Like

What is the expiration on OKW? Is it 2042?

If so, even at the discounted price, not necessarily a good deal. The 2042 resorts don’t have enough years left on them…we should be seeing prices coming down on those more and more.

1. All the OKW contracts DVC buy back are being sold as 2057 contracts.
1 Like

Okay. That’s good. Thanks makes it worthwhile then. (Well, to some folks anyhow.)

1 Like

I thought it was interesting the article leaves it open. Wonder if it would even come down to who your guide is?

2 Likes

I think they are trying to get more of those 2057 contracts out there. If people are interested in this deal you may see more ROFR of the 2042 contracts so they can help deal with that issue…

2 Likes

I shouldn’t have clicked. :tired_face: Cheaper price than I paid just a couple of months ago for DLH! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

3 Likes

We still haven’t taken the DVC plunge…
We’ve been awaiting news of the Poly tower units becoming available for purchase, partly because of the existing condo association. This deal is much more favorable than other deals though and we do really like the Riviera.
Hate to pass it up. Would you be reluctant to buy the Riviera (direct) because of the future owners’ resale restrictions?

2 Likes

Boo. I’m sorry.

I think it depends on your circumstances. We bought Riviera direct in December but we were already members. We have an old BLT resale contract that only blocks DCL and ABD and a more recent SSR that has all of the current restrictions. I don’t think anyone buys thinking they will have to sell, but if you are concerned about the loss you would take selling Riviera, that would give me pause. If I had to sell, I feel like I could sell the other two first before taking the hit with Riviera.

So many people seem to be waiting for the Poly. I feel like it is going to be pricey!

4 Likes

Me too!
ETA: The question is: When the Poly comes up for sale, will these discounts on the existing resorts be even deeper?

3 Likes

It’s not too awful. I paid $224. Current incentives would put it at $222. But still, $200 less. :frowning:

4 Likes

Good question. I have never followed direct prices enough to have any idea of trends.

ETA – I have heard that if you buy direct, you have 10 days to cancel so people will often buy at the end of when the discount is expiring so that if the new incentive is better, they can cancel and start over. Haven’t done it myself but I’ve read that others do.

5 Likes

I know the offer I used to buy Riviera in December was better than what just expired but I’m not sure about the new ones. I’m not going to look and no one tell me :joy: :see_no_evil:

5 Likes

A few years back, we met with a DVC representative at the Riviera that we really liked. He was very down-to-earth. Unfortunately, he no longer works with Disney. I am trying to remember exactly what he told us, but he said that depending on the timing of our purchase and our use year, we could actually get double our points in the first year. Can anyone here elaborate on that for me? If this is possible, I want to make sure I time our purchase right, if we decide to move forward.
Also, I apologize for my bad memory, but at one time, one of you recommended the DVC Field Guide to me. Is that still a useful tool?

2 Likes

They may have other tricks up their sleeve but one way to do this would be to buy right before the use year and have them bank the points. For example, if you wanted a June use year and bought in May, they’d give you points from June 2023, bank them for you (they can bank past the deadline) and then you’d get your next allotment of points June 1, 2024.

Another option is to not take those June 2023 points and sell them back to Disney at $20/point. If you do this, it doesn’t come off the purchase price but you get a check back for the amount due to you. This is the magical beginnings program. You may have to have a trip booked somewhere else though. I’m not sure about that detail.

3 Likes

It doesn’t have to be right before the use year either, as long as you buy a use year after the date of purchase. You always get current points when you buy direct.

If you buy now, it’s still in the 2023 use year for May through to December.

3 Likes

Yes, I agree. I was focusing more about how you end up with what feels like “double points” because of the timing of the purchase and the use year.

4 Likes

And I think it has to be before the banking deadline for the use year too?

I bought my second contract on 7/2 with a banking deadline of 7/31 and the guide mentioned we were “just in time” to get that years points in addition to the next year.

3 Likes