New DAS rules

And isn’t this possible to still be faked?

2 Likes

There are still physical disabilities that should be covered under DAS as well. I’m thinking of ostomies, certain autoimmune disorders, people requiring restroom access, etc. Are they just out of luck?

3 Likes

I guess if you really want to pay off a doctor or something to give you a ‘fake’ note . I don’t know how to fake a disability so I’m only guessing. :man_shrugging:

There will always be people trying to “game” any system to get an advantage.

Hopefully, these new procedures will curb the more “lazy” people who won’t bother trying to fake a note or something… :man_shrugging:

From what is circulating, none of the psychical / ADA accommodations for DAS are going away. This is an update to the mental health guidelines for DAS…

5 Likes

Where does anything say the new system will require someone to “show their diagnosis”? That is how the Universal (IBCCES) system is working, but this is not that. Nor have they said there is any form of verification going into effect unless I missed something.

4 Likes

I haven’t seen it, but a lot of people are under the assumption that bringing in an outside source for “training” will lead to outside verification like Universal uses. Especially when sites like WDWNT are using direct comparisons.

2 Likes

Well, I guess as long as there’s a way to “prove” it…

1 Like

Sadly, all the liars out there make it so we have to do it this way… :sob: :sob:

2 Likes

Adding they were making comparisons before any official announcement.

1 Like

Yeah, the grain of salt for stuff coming out of WDWNT is about yay big:

95% of the time, they’re fine, it’s that 5% that leaves me scratching my head.

5 Likes

Here’s another article for @cherokee_jacket 's list

2 Likes

I admit I haven’t seen anything official about showing your paperwork. I have been seeing the posts about Disney hiring the same company that Universal & Six Flags uses in setting up the new policies.

The current “theory/rumor” is all Disney is waiting for is the Six Flags lawsuit to get dismissed before going forward with using IBCCESS.

My apologies if I upset anyone by my assumption that the new program at Disney will, eventually, evolve into what other parks are using or will become an industry standard.

3 Likes

I’m learning that in real time.

2 Likes

“Guest Services will not be working with DAS requests in person starting May 20.”

MY OPINION- this above statement from the release tells me we’re screwed. Real time reactions and over sensory issues will not be entertained in person. A virtual chat can be engaged later, (hopefully after our “episode”).

Maybe when I go for my interview, I’ll mention that they should have an onsite mental health advocate and sensory quiet rooms available.

We all know that many disabilities are invisible, and it is impossible to tell by looking whether someone truly needs an accommodation. Please be kind and never assume, when watching an individual guest.

But on the system level, that doesn’t mean it isn’t true that this increase is largely due to guests “faking” a medical condition in order to receive a DAS. Multiple TouringPlans personnel have personal experience with overhearing guests “advising” others about how to beat the system. Unfortunately, these changes are Disney’s response to a level of abuse that is simply damaging their ability to give a good guest experience to everyone.

I wonder if that’s including TR’s here in the forums?

6 Likes

What I see being said in WDW’s website is that DAS is for

This leaves out physical disabilities that do not have to do with mobility issues. Leave the queue processes won’t help me if I need to leave the line quickly due to my disability…

5 Likes

I think that’s where the queue re-entry that was also mentioned comes into play.
Meaning, they will specifically relate to having to leave the queue quickly. I saw IBS used as a specific example in the article I saw.

4 Likes

Also, it’s probably already mentioned, but in the article above, it says

Disney has partnered with Inspire Health Alliance professionals to help Cast Members determine if a guest can receive DAS accommodations under the new guidelines.

The bolded part is confusing and vague to me. Help determine as in they themselves will be doing outside verification or just providing by the letter ADA standards and teaching CM’s to say no?

3 Likes

Yes, but that may not work in practice. If I have to leave the queue quickly, I won’t have time to go through the process.

4 Likes

Oh, I get it! I have medication I’m on that will make getting a quick exit a priority. I absolutely will not have time to scan out.

3 Likes

Exactly.

3 Likes

I have my issues. They are serious issues. I will go into a complete freak out panic attack when activated. 99% of the time, I’m pretty much normal. But I catch myself in a dark room with no clear way out. No. Can’t… Gotta go… gotta get out… can’t stay here…

4 Likes