Never say never....aka, flying to Orlando

Just be prepared to embrace “humanity” at MCO. I travel plenty and I have never experienced such a stressed out place (and this was at 7:20pm!)…crying kids, tired parents…cranky grandparents…all wrapped up in a big noisy shopping mall. I couldn’t wait to get my bags and seek the cool comfort of the DME.

Very important interlude.

How do you guys pronounce MCO?

I was talking to a Liner today (we often talk behind your backs and laugh about how dumb you all are) and we pronounce it differently. My way is better, but I’m interested to know how you all pronounce it.

2 Likes

Interesting that you should bring this up! A UK liner did a live video from MCO this week saying goodbye after a month long trip and called it M-C-O (em see oh). I don’t think I’ve ever said it out loud but in my head I call it M-CO (em co).

1 Like

Weirdly, you’re actually right about something. That’s what I say. It’s two syllables rather than three, so it’s quicker / easier to say.

I made some joke last year about going to a magical place called Emmcoh and people didn’t get the hilarity.

2 Likes

Well I have to be right about something occasionally :rofl:

1 Like

:rofl: I’ve never looked at it as M-CO.

Then again, I’ve always heard airport codes with each letter pronounced individually. I’d never pronounce my home airports IAD as “eye-add” or BWI as “bee-wee”

3 Likes

My home airports have been BOS (which is clear Boz) and MAN (which is clearly Man) so I’m used to making the codes into words, perhaps.

That’s true. I probably would do the same with BOS or MAN.

I was just going to say until @sanstitre_has_left_the_building beat me to it, when your home airport is MAN it’s inevitable!

2 Likes

It’s pronounced diz-nee

2 Likes

I thought that’s how you pronounce WDW.

I pronounce MNSSHP as “mun-ship”.

1 Like

It’s definitely emm-see-oh

I live near emm-aitch-tee (MHT)

BOS is pronounced low-gan

10 Likes

Sigh. It’s MCO. But I have to say (without getting political) that as I’m reading US political articles, in my head, I say gop as a word, rather than G O P. That’s proven rather embarrassing when I’ve done it in conversation with people who are more knowledgeable than me. Especially when I corrected one person, who then gave me the strangest look.

GIF JIF, Tomaeto Tomato

2 Likes

DCA is pronounced ray-gen or na-shun-al for those who don’t quite want to go there.

2 Likes

I pronounce MCO as “never gonna fly there so it doesn’t matter, unless my parents decide to move exactly while my brother is in Germany so I have no choice but to go since I can’t drive because I have to help drive the truck back”.

Either that or “the Orlando airport”

2 Likes

This is pronounced “Halloween Party”

Similarly MVMCP is “Christmas Party”

And

DAH is “After Hours” (not “duh”)

4 Likes

Dah, not duh, there’s no U in it! And yes I do read it as a word.

1 Like

Three letters. M. C. O. Three letters is how all airport codes are pronounced. (Like, it is L. A. X. Not “lax”.)

Exceptions are things like National, Dulles, Logan, LaGuardia (or LaGhetto as I call it).

Newark is interchangeable with E. W. R.

3 Likes

I once asked a friend where she was going when she said she was at LAX. Turned out she was at lacrosse

2 Likes

This is clearly, and very simply, pronounced as muh-vuh-muh-cup.

As in “Are you going to muhvuhmuhcup this year?” “No. I want to try munship instead.”

2 Likes