Need suggestions for 10 & 12 year old sons

I am planning a trip for November 2017 and need some ideas for an activity for a non park day. My boys (10 & 12) have somewhat outgrown the character meals. Hoop-de-doo review? Backyard BBQ or Spirit of Aloha? I am planning to do the night safari at AKL. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Depends a lot on the boys but there are tons of options. We like HDDR but that age could be hit or miss. The BBQ gets good reviews. The Luau gets very mixed reviews.

Dine and Watch at the AMC
Disney Quest (If it is still open)
La Nouba
Mini Golf
Horseback Riding
Archery
Fishing Excursions
Water Park

I’ve never been but my sister highly reccomends Splitsville in Disney Springs. She has been pushing us to go our last couple trips. I also hear the food is phenomenal. They are rumored to have some of the best sushi on Disney property.

I also have boys 10 - 12. They love a resort/swim day, mini golf, or water park (offiste Aquatica is their favority). I’ve also heard good things about splitsville. We are trying La Nouba for the first time on our trip this year. If you want to go offsite, they also enjoyed Gatorland but that was a couple of years ago. Its only a half day trip.

My boys like miniature golfing, and we also like to use the various modes of Disney Transportation to go exploring. We take the bus system to the Disney Transportation Center by MK, then take the Ferry to MK, and catch a boat to the Grand Floridian or the Polynesian (the Polynesian pool area is very cool looking), and then pick up the Monorail to the busses at Epcot, where you can take a bus back to your resort. We’ve done several variations of exploring trips like this. The boys just like the adventure of it.

My twins are 23 and still talk about the trip to Gator land when they were little.
They might like the campfire w/ Chip and Dale at Fort Wilderness.
Exploring other resorts. If they trade pins, make sure to take them, as many resorts have a board for trading.

2 Likes

My kids are the same age and loved Typhoon Lagoon. The wave pool is intense! If you’re up for a little side trip, Kennedy Space Center is also an option. If you’ve never been there, it is incredible. The Atlantis exhibit is breathtaking and inspiring.

Just got back with 10 and 13 year old girls. We spent a Saturday a Blizzard Beach. The girls loved it, parents enjoyed it, and the park was not crowded at all. Loved the chair lift to the top of the mountain. I do hear Typhoon lagoon has a better wave pool. The Blizzard beach one is like a bath tub… small waves with many of them coming from random directions. Or just stay a hotel with a nice pool and resort activities. We stayed at the Marriott Harbour lakes and could of easily enjoyed a down day or two there.