Need ~20 volunteers to test new page on site

I’d love to contribute, but although I should be in the testing, I don’t see the dashboard.

Looks like there was a typo in your username. Fixed.

carp. I changed my user name to shorten it so that it would be easier to tag. Now the dashboard is gone.

cc @daybreaker @Lentesta

I think all of the issues I have are already mentioned here, ie. the “Save” button not closing the window but adding trip multiple times, weather box should go to something more detailed if it has a link of something to click on, wording of “Make Dining Reservations” sounding like you can actually make the reservations from the site, which is misleading, etc. I admit I got a lot more busy than I expected in the last couple days, so I apologize for not being able to go through thoroughly, but it seems like you’ve got a ton of good feedback.

I really like the new dashboard. The things I would like to see changed:

1. I wish the crowd level would update to the specific park we make plans for, rather than the general crowd level

2. I’d like to have actual check boxes on the left checklist side to show when we’ve completed a step (I feel like I’ve accomplished more when I can actually check off a box)

3. I think it would be nice to have a countdown for other things once we set our trip dates, including 180 days, 60 days, etc. (similar to the magnets Disney sends out).

It’s really great. I’m excited to see where it ends up.

Hey, the Save button is fixed on Add Trip! Yay!!! The calendar problem persists though.

I had to go back and figure out what people were talking about when they said “Checklist.” Somehow, that section doesn’t scream “checklist” to me…especially since there are no checkboxes.

A simple terminology change can fix the confusion with the “Add Plan” button in trips… “Add Touring Plan.” I agree that it confused me at first… .I expected to be able to enter the hotel I was thinking of staying at, any ADRs, etc.

Most of my suggestions are already listed above, so I will not rehash them. I’ll like all the posts I agree with.

I am not, however, having the issue with the Save button many are reporting. I am on MAC OS X to the latest version, using Chrome to the latest version. When I click the Save button on a new trip, the window closes and a banner at the top announces I was successful.

One thing I have noticed is there is not an option to add a cruise. This would be a good option to include, as land and sea packages are popular.

Hey guys, thanks again for all the feedback. I’ve updated a few minor things and fixed all the bugs (with one exception - the issue with the calendar popup I can’t reproduce and may be an issue with one of your browser add-ons conflicting with jQueryUI - could you try that with a different browser and see if it still happens?).

Could ya’ll do a quick check today and see if there are any more show-stopping issues? We’re aiming for a general release next Monday. Thanks!

Save button works now. I’m on Chrome browser w/Windows 7. I"d prefer to see the profile box in the right-hand colum be collapsible. I’ll post screen caps later to illustrate if you need them. But just after the following, I’d rather have a SHOW/HIDE SUBSCRIPTIONS option.

Your Profile

Username: DarthD
Email: pwdensk@sbcglobal.net

Also SHOW/HIDE Crowd Tracker. THis would free up more real estate in that column to see the features “above the fold”. As a new user, I wouldn’t know to scroll down to see my personalized touring plans or anything else that’s down there.

Also, LINES USAGE and BADGES should be under the PROFILE area in my opinion and if you make that box collapsible, it wouldn’t be too much.

The weather boxes could be smaller. Seem to take up a lot of real estate on the page.

also, I’d rather not have to click on the trip to be able to delete it. I should be able to delete it from that left column in addition to deleting it from when it’s up on the screen.

And just to reiterate: when I log onto TouringPlans.com on my iPhone 5 using the phone browser (safari), my dashboard automatically appears. And since it’s all jumbled, it’s near impossible to get to the rest of the TP site or the forums. Not sure if this would happen to a regular user, but that’s what’s happening for me right now. I know mobile version is not high on the list, but if this rolls out and people are still using their phones to access the regular TP website via their web browsers, it will be an issue for them. You may want to be sure that mobile browsers get the main webpage and not their dashboards upon opening the site.

2 Likes

Agree on all counts.

Particularly echoing the jumbledy garbledy mess that appears via mobile. It may not be ready to be functioning on mobile but if a person lands there they will have a hard time navigating anywhere else.

Well, darn it… now I can’t duplicate it. It may have just been a glitch in the browser, I guess. I disabled all the extensions, closed out the browser, and then re-enabled them one by one…

Oh well! It’s working now :smile:

1 Like

I like the dashboard a lot. I find it easy to navigate, and everything seems to be working. I’m using a tablet with Windows 8.1 and Chrome. I love the countdown. I find the right side a little busy, though. I feel that my email in my profile information here is unnecessary, for example. And it seems to me that the page points to the park crowds with a bit of redundancy. What scares me, though, are those delete buttons next to my plans! I didn’t dare try them out, so I don’t know if it’s possible to easily delete the plans by mistake.
Great work!

I like the look of it my thoughts

Is there a way to make it easier to add a pre loaded plan to one of the days, I copied it over to a personal plan (that wife didn’t know how to do) but it did not populate my plans section only the lower right personalized section

I think the crowd tracker in the middle section is redundant …I like it just on the side

Is there a way to add trip make up meaning how many people in party / where you are staying and such

TP’s top ten tips box
Hitting rope drop
Use FPP to maximize day
book dining at 180
etc …

How about a banner with forum link saying all your questions answered here …Wife didn’t really notice the Conversation section and did not realize you could search topics there

Maybe a link to MDE so people come here rather then go straight there

Maybe a section for just dining ressie’s

Maybe a 2nd countdown in the my trips highlighting dates 180 dining 60 FPP and so on

1 Like

Sounds good. Id be happy to try.

@Lentesta
I’m not sure I have anything to add to what’s already been mentioned, so forgive me if I’m redundant.

I like the weather information. Even if it isn’t accurate now, I’ll really appreciate it as November draws closer. The icons seem to take up a lot of vertical space, though. Maybe there’s a way to make use of that space with some other information about daily plans.
Again, I’d like to see a by-park breakdown of the crowd level for the day. I like the idea that someone mentioned (MDU?) about displaying the crowd level for the park along with the touring plan link.
Also mentioned: If I were a Newbie, I might not know that there are thousands of Touring Plans already made when I click the Add Plan link. (I like to make my own from scratch, but that’s just because there aren’t TP’s for crazy people who spend 3 days at Epcot and 3 days at MK.)
Again, I love that the Touring Plans are added to my days and that the park hours are displayed.
I would really like to have the option of adding other information to shape my plan. I have some convoluted hotel plans (One stay on points followed by a promotional stay at one hotel with simultaneous reservations at Fort Wilderness) and I’d like to see where those stays fall in my trip. I also have dining reservations that I’d like to see in case the Crowd Calendar changes and I have to debate changing park plans for any particular day. And I’d like to be able to add other plans that don’t require a Touring Plan, like a rest day or a non-park tour of the resort holiday decorations or a day at Downtown Disney.
I hope that this was helpful!

1 Like

@sarah I was just retesting and tried to delete one of my test plans - it deleted but it didn’t automatically untrack the days that the test trip was for (it automatically tracked them when I created the trip)

Ok so I’ll add my .02 even though most of it has probably already been said.

1. It’s very monochromatic. For the desktop version I would personally like to see a bit more color. For me I have trouble distinguishing close colors so with all the white and light grey it comes across looking a little washed out.
  2. Your on hover formatting to add a border is a little strange to me. I know it is fairly common but because the boxes are designed to fill the screen at any resolution it makes them look like their jumping around a bit as you move your mouse. I’d like to see maybe static borders with a slight change in opacity to make it obvious which window you are hovering over without changing the size of the box by adding the border. In the case of My Trips it actually moves the text as well.
  3. At large resolutions the middle box is really huge. I’m sure eventually you’ll have more features to fill it up but for now it leaves a lot of blank space. Is it possible to have a max size for the middle box and once the resolution goes above that add space to the sides of the side columns where the background will show?
  4. I would personally like to see the on hover for links be a different color than dark grey. Maybe the same RGB as as the red you use in the touring plans banners?
  5. To save a little real estate in the crowd tracker box how about instead of putting the full date value, using an abbreviated date with the park crowd levels in parantheses. Also it seems a little redundant to have “at Walt Disney World” after each date. Since you assign the location when you add the trip it seems like it might not be necessary to repeat it here. Maybe instead of “November 29, 2014 (Saturday) at Walt Disney World” it could be more like, “11/29/14 (Crowd Level 6) - Saturday”. Maybe even without the wording of ‘crowd level’ so that each one fits on one line.
  6. To avoid the duplicate trip issues that others have reported how about a simple check for trips that already exist with the same dates and location? That might also help prevent users from sharing logins with non subscribers.
  7. As was suggested earlier in the Add trip window it should check if a user is subscribed to the selected location and if not redirect them to the upgrade page.

That seems like a lot of suggestions lol, but they are just my opinion. I really think this is a great addition and as new features are added will add a lot of value to the subscription price!

3 Likes

Oh yes!! The colors. On my chrome and on my Firefox that light grey font in the add a trip dialog box is way too faint. Could hardly see or read it.

Also there are a lot of “click throughs” to do simple tasks

would it be possible to add a delete “button” next to the trip list on the left column for quick trip deletions. I hate having to click to the trip when I need to delete it.

3 Likes

Hey guys, here’s where we are on this:

• We’ve been going through and adding possible suggestions to our list (we’re at around post 78 on this right now). We might add a few more little changes before general launch on Monday, but most will be for future releases at this point.
  • As of right now, all the bugs I know of have been fixed. If you discover a bug please do let me know, better now than Monday. :smile:

Last push where I fixed bugs and added updates included:

• Changing the date to be outside the weather info box to make that more clear (@999HappyHaunts)
  • Changing text for “make dining reservation” (@maccys_mousehouse)
  • Adding an “X” cancel button to modals (@maccys_mousehouse)
  • Adding park and start/end times to touring plan list (@WDWRDPro)
  • Fixing all bugs, including making smaller screens look better (thanks everyone!!)

Plan to do before Monday:

• Change “plans” to “touring plans” to make more clear (for some reason I can’t find now who suggested this, sorry!)
  • Temporarily not auto-redirect to dashboard when logging in, to prevent issues with mobile (we’ll post a banner on the home page still, have the link up and put up a blog post to let people know it’s there, and will reinstate the auto-redirect once we’ve got a viable mobile interface)

For future reference, here’s the general list of releases we have planned so far (note - mobile will always be a release or two behind desktop):

1. (this release) basic layout and trip functionality
  2. Alerts and resorts
  3. Parks and crowd calendar
  4. Attractions and dining
  5. Tickets and extras

There will almost certainly be more added after release 5. We have some exciting stuff up our sleeve. Current plan is for through release 5 to be done by end of Aug.

Thanks again for everything guys! You are all greatly appreciated. :smile:

6 Likes

That’s fantastic, @sarah. I noticed all the above changes and agree it’s moving in the right direction. I asked DH (software engineer with many years creating dashboards) if a close or “x” button was needed on the popup after I spent some time on the dashboard and he said he does always incorporate them because you have to assume a certain number of users will need it.

Nice idea not auto-directing to the dashboard until a mobile version is available. I heartily agree with @DarthD that something should be done and you have. :clap:

I was pleased (on a personal, OCD level) to see the “Num.” disappear from the Lines Usage section (Wait Times Submitted) as I am sure the subtraction of that superfluous abbreviated descriptor will make all the difference in the success or failure of this release.

3 Likes