Myrtle Beach

I know there aren’t any theme parks, but headed to Myrtle Beach next month for a week. Any suggestions for things not to miss or definitely avoid? Will be staying at a timeshare in Mureills Inlet.

I would use caution if you went to the Blvd area in Myrtle Beach, this is where the sky wheel is located. It’s just not a good area anymore. I’d probably avoid that area. They have an amusement park called Family Kingdom and it’s also in a not so safe part of MB. I would go to Broadway at the Beach. You can look that up online. We have a waterpark called Myrtle Waves. It’s nothing fancy. Murrells Inlet is a good area to be. The marsh walk has lots of restaurants with live bands. Feel free to ask any other questions you might have.

2 Likes

Thanks.

1 Like

We spent time in North Myrtle last December so decidedly off season. We enjoyed Barefoot Landing and visited Crazy Masons ice cream.

Please share your experience after you visit. We are new to SC and have only made our way there once so far. It’s funny. When I lived in NY everyone loved coming to MB and raved about it. Now that I live here many people act like it’s the pits and tend to talk about smaller beaches. We’ve done Isle of Palms three times for day visits and liked it, but I can imagine more than 48 hours there.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum Carolina girl. There are a lot of Liners in NC and SC.
I am southeast of Greenville.

Come visit in open thread to “meet” more of us. I don’t want to derail this thread, but this is a very friendly community.

2 Likes

@carolinagirl or @QwertySC what is the sand like on the beaches. Is it more compacted and easier to walk on or loose where your feet sink in or slide around?

So funny you asked.
I am a sand connoisseur. LOL. I’ve picked cruise destinations based on sand.
It was soft and lovely, but not powder fine, in north MB last December.

3 Likes

Might not be the best for us. DW will be 7 weeks post knee replacement when we go. Thinking she may soend more time at the pool.

1 Like

You could look in North Myrtle Beach. There is a Hilton run place we stayed in about 10 years ago that is 4 different hotels/condos, but you have access to them all. They had really good pools, plus were right on the beach too. North Myrtle is smaller/calmer/less commercial too than Myrtle Beach itself. If I remember correctly the names were Royale Palms Condominiums and/or Kingston Plantation Condos. They’ll come up if you search on North Myrtle Beach on Hilton’s site.

1 Like

But you asked about Murrells Inlet… on that same trip 10-ish years ago, we went twice (from NMB, so a drive!) to the Dead Dog Saloon. I have no idea if it’s still good, but we enjoyed it then!

Their hush puppies were so good! :drooling_face:

1 Like

We stay in North Myrtle Beach and don’t get to Myrtle Beach proper.

I don’t know who is traveling with you. When my kids were younger, we would go to Broadway at the Beach. The Ripley’s Aquarium is worth a visit.

DH and I passed through Pawley’s Island earlier in the year. We stopped at the Hammock Shops Village to stroll around. Had a nice lunch at Local and enjoyed Bunny Mary and Bunny Maria. Their carrot version of a Bloody Mary.

Tagging @LTinNC82 for help with Murrell’s Inlet.

3 Likes

Will come back to this later. MI is a great area.

1 Like

It will be DW and I, DD19 and DMIL84.

The closer you get to the water, the more compact the sand gets. If she can make it through the loose sand near the top, she should be fine to walk near the water.

I agree the Blvd area is a little sketchy, but I think it’s probably okay during the day. There’s a really quirky souvenir shop down there called the Gay Dolphin. Worth a browse if you’re down that way. Broadway at the Beach (larger) and Barefoot Landing (smaller) are both nice shopping areas. There are also two Tanger outlets if you’re looking for more shopping. The last time we were there we played Top Golf, which was a lot of fun. My DH and I went to the Carolina Opry years ago and it was entertaining, but I haven’t been there in a long time. I seem to remember there are several dinner show type things down there that you can choose from.

1 Like

I will look into some of those.