My first trip back to WDW - the good, the bad, the magic!

RIGHT?!

Dreamy was a great word for @DisneyDayDreamin to use :wink:

1 Like

Yep iPhones do this too. Just use your camera and hold it up to the QR code. @Jsanta26 If for some reason your iPhone is running an older iOS (and I think it has to be quite old) and doesn’t do that, you can download a free QR reader app.

1 Like

At the airport, waiting for our flight home

Thoughts and observations:
Masks
For us, this was a non issue. I was worried they would be hot and uncomfortable in the heat and humidity. Honestly, we weren’t bothered at all. It felt good to take the mask off, to be sure but if you have a comfortable mask, you really forget they are on.
I have a small face so my biggest issue with the cloth masks is that they often sat too high and made it harder to see if i looked down. The ones with the wire that you can mold worked better from a practical standpoint.
The Disney cloth masks are multi layer and just “feel” safer and more substantial to me. I wore those the most but also had a single layer mask (from Ambrie) that was also good. Snug fit but not too tight, especially if I twisted the ear loops. DH wore a disposable mask off and on and liked that one. But would put a cloth one on for pictures (these are becoming fashion accessories for us!)
Mask compliance (including wearing the masks properly) was as near 100% as I could tell. Far better than what it is at home!
General Safety Measures
I think Disney excelled here. Pre-covid I would bring hand sanitizer, wipes…and go through a lot each trip. Now, there are so many hand sanitizer stations, I rarely used what we brought. Every ride has them at the entrance to the ride and at the exit. I still avoided touching railings and things like that. We never saw them wiping those down in the ride queque but that doesn’t mean they didn’t.
The level of effort with the enhanced cleaning was impressive. Almost every CM we saw had the face mask and face shield. The only exception was at TS, the servers had the disposable masks only.
All of the plexiglass in the queue was also impressive. The panels didn’t go all the way up to the ceiling so there was still good airflow.
Cleaning of the ride vehicles was evident on most of the rides we were on (we saw it on small world, mine train, splash…etc). The gift shops had plexiglass windows so CMs were behind those and guests swiped their own card (or use magicband).
The Relaxation stations where you could remove masks and sit were nice. They were at Tomorrowland Terrace, Golden Outpost, in liberty Square by the liberty Market and back at Storybook Circus. Those are the only ones I remember seeing. Even those areas had socially distanced tables too.
One thing we didnt see was wiping down of tables at the QS and relaxation stations. Again, doesn’t mean they werent, we just didn’t see it. So I still packed my purely wipes and wiped the table (which we did pre-covid).
There were plenty of signs everywhere reminding you about masks, social distancing, hand washing. Trash can lids were all propped open so you don’t have to touch then when throwing trash away.
Socially Distanced Characters
I loved these!! I loved the spontaneous nature of these. They were fun and still brought some Disney magic and excitement without the crowds and waiting. The characters at the train station did cause people to congregate but they were pretty good about not crowding other people. As parks get more capacity it will be interesting to see how that is controlled.
AP event and “crowds”
I cant say enough how awesome this event was. I doubt I will ever get the chance to spend an entire day at MK like this. We rode everything we wanted to including HM and Mine train twice. Its easier to say what we didnt do (all by choice). We didnt do Space or Big Thunder (space is too rough for me. I like BTMR but I had a headache and didn’t want to push it). We didnt do Tiki or Country Bears - DH is not a fan! We didnt do teacups because after AO, i didnt want more dizziness :slight_smile: we also skipped buzz because its just not a favorite and touching the controls wasn’t something I wanted to do.
To see fantasyland practically empty at peak times of the day was amazing.
Everything we did was a walk on (exception was splash and 7DMT but those were both 20 min or less).
CMs were amazing, we chatted with several and they were just so happy to be back.
It was a little disappointing that you can’t take face masks off for pictures but I understand it. People would get lax. The photopass photographers still told you to smile or act surprised despite not being able to see your facial expressions!

I really felt so incredibly safe at the park. Maybe some will say its security theater but it worked! And I know this being an AP preview may not be representative of normal operations once they open up to the public but hopefully this gave you a glimpse of what to expect (more or less).

I cant wait to go back on Thursday to experience the other parks, staying on site again and checking out the crowd levels.

22 Likes

Good question. I didn’t know how it worked either!

I will also add that TTA wasn’t running at all yesterday. Hope it is back on line soon!

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this, I’m sure it will help lots of people and it was really fun to follow along!

1 Like

Super-enjoyed reading this thread and looking at all the great photos. Thanks!

1 Like

I enjoyed the report as well. Thank You!!

1 Like

Great report! Look forward to hearing about your next trip.

2 Likes

Why is this one of my favorite details?

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

One question, because I’m stumped.

Where is Golden Outpost? From the picture I’m thinking somewhere near to where the rafts go to TSI? Near Peco Bills.

This was such a great read, thanks!

Across from Pecos Bill.

1 Like

Yes, Golden outpost is around the corner from Pecos bill as you walk towards Adventureland. I think in my report I mistakenly said we went there when in fact we went to the one at Liberty Market.

1 Like

I love reading this report, sounds like a truly magical day! And Josh D’Amaro :heart_eyes: I love spontaneous characters (my DD never liked to actually meet them so from a distance is perfect.

Thank you for all the details!

Thanks so much for sharing your adventures with us! So glad you had a fun experience!

LIVE NOW: 1734 hrs. 11JUL20 TP: TouringPlans Live: Disney World Reopening Trip Report with Len & Steve - YouTube

1 Like

Watching!

Where is he staying? I can’t place that headboard.

I have no clue… didn’t say

I didn’t think it would have been appropriate to ask either :wink:

1 Like