Mousematt’s Epic North American Adventure — Now Featuring Final Thoughts

I have not.

My 7 mile commute on my last job often took 90-120 mins! But in general, 2 hours will get you a long way across the country. The UK is small!

1 Like

Pre-pandemic that was my daily commute. 90 minutes if all the stars and everything aligned perfectly, but all too often 2 hours.

3 Likes

I’m so surprised you’ve never heard this before!!

2 Likes

Hands down one of my favorite televisions series ever!! If you are a fan, I highly recommend listening to The West Wing Weekly podcast. They did an episode for every WW episode.

@ryan1 I highly recommend watching. Just really smart television with an amazing cast.

4 Likes

The 40 mile commute to my office is only about 45 minutes if I drive at 5am or 8pm. During rush hour it is more like 60-80 minutes.

3 Likes

That was the issue with mine. If I set off at 6.30 I could do it in 20 mins. By 7.30 it was up to 90 mins and at 8 I might as well go back to bed for an hour and set off at 9.30 because I’d get there at the same time. Though mine was a much shorter drive than yours!

3 Likes

Oh yeah, much smoother sailing at 5 am.
Of course DD6 might not like being dropped off two hours before day care opens
kids these days eh :rofl:

5 Likes

In true Canadian fashion, “Sorry, buddy!” I was definitely looking at weekdays, not weekends. Niagara Falls on weekends in October is a premium destination due to fall foliage followers and honeymooners. I’m certain you’ll love your room, and the hotel desk might even give you discount coupons to local restaurants or the hotel bar to make up for the Skylon lunch cancellation.

1 Like

Oh! I was a big fan of WWW. I’ve actually just recently gone back and started listening (and watching) all over again.

2 Likes

Correct

Too long. Couldn’t get beyond the first episode. Not as bad as the Scrubs one, though. That took smugness to a whole new level.

He won’t like it. It’s a Democrat’s fantasy. I don’t think he’s one of those.

5 Likes

Have booked Maid of the Mist (well, the Canadian version) and got a duo ticket for the Skylon (good for two trips: one day, one night).

Other than that I plan to wander around gawping and searching for a McDonald’s.

8 Likes

Did you find a hotel that was more reasonably priced?

It has been a while, but the cheaper hotels are those not down closest to the falls, but some distance away. If you are going to get a view from the Skylon both day and night, it probably isn’t worth paying extra for a room with a view.

Also be warned…just because a hotel has rooms overlooking the falls, doesn’t mean the room you pay for has one. We made the mistake of booking for one night a very expensive room at a hotel with “Overlooking the Falls” in the name, but didn’t realize that the room we were given had a lovely view…overlooking a parking lot. :confused: We should have stayed in our MUCH cheaper hotel that was further up the road.

2 Likes

Inspired by @AkronAaron I paid many dollars (but Canadian ones, which are basically free) for a fallsview (apparently it’s one word) with Juliet balcony at the Sheraton.

8 Likes

Love me some leaf-peeping!

I was just catching up and was going to post a couple pictures I took of the Sheraton in August. We didn’t stay there but it is a pretty building from the outside. If you zoom in you should be able to see the Juliet balconies (the dark rectangles are the ones that are open). It looks like the full balconies are only on the corner and possibly the very top floors. I’ was standing in the Oakes Garden Theatre garden across the street in front of the Sheraton when I took these photos.

This hotel is situated right at the very bottom of Clifton Hill and kind of across from the American Falls. The Horseshoe ones are just down a bit. Charm them at check in with that posh accent of yours and make sure they give you a great view (hopefully that includes both).

10 Likes

The Sheraton has Sweet Jesus downstairs! Ice cream!!!

Also, just a little bit up the hill (it may be attached to the Sheraton actually) is the Niagara Brewing Company. I do not know your feelings on beer, but they have some delicious brews and eats there! It’s no McDonald’s, but it’ll do.

7 Likes

Today’s excitements

First, the Monet version of the Van Gogh thing. I thought this was less good than the VG one. If you can only do one, do the VG. The Monet is not bad, it’s just that the VG one is better.

Second a ferry ride to the islands.

31 Likes

Awesome pictures from the ferry! Love that you again got both day and night photos.

Toronto will be busy tonight with the first Leafs game with full capacity in over 500 days! And playing Montreal to boot! I think there is a soccer game, too (excuse me, football).

5 Likes

You made it to the islands! Awesome! You are really getting stuff done in Toronto, I love it.

6 Likes