Mousematt’s Epic North American Adventure — Now Featuring Final Thoughts

Honestly, you are going someplace because of the walls of water. What’s a little more added to the mix?

12 Likes

If you are looking for a deal on a hotel, check out groupon. See what they’re offering, then call the hotel and book it direct at the same price or cheaper. A fallsview room can be nice if this is a ‘last in your life’ trip - seeing the falls lit up at night from a hotel balcony is an experience.

3 Likes

It’s getting a bit late in the season for that. @vcka and I are keeping an eye on it, though! Hopefully they’ll all stay far out in the Atlantic.

5 Likes

Ooh, thanks :grin::maple_leaf:

1 Like

I don’t know if this is widely known but hotels in Niagara Falls are expensive. And, when you add the enormous taxes, they become insanely expensive. Well, not Disney prices, obviously. But still.

5 Likes

You know what else is expensive in Niagara Falls? EVERYTHING. Prepare yourself accordingly, lunch for two adults and two kids (admittedly at the Rainforest Cafe, but no alcohol and my “main” was an appetizer) cost us $150.

3 Likes

I read the comments on the recipe. I don’t know why, I will probably never make it. Almost everyone said they added cinnamon.

1 Like

That’s funny. I didn’t read the comments. It was a complete accident :laughing:

1 Like

You might not be looking in the right place - hotel rooms on their own can be 60-70 CAD at travel sites, and rooms that face the falls are typically around 120 this time of year. Try hotels dot com maybe?

I’ve seen nothing close to that price — and I’ve spent hours looking. Bear in mind I’m staying on a Saturday night.

Also …

You put this idea into my head and there’s only one hotel that offers it: the Sheraton, which is where I’ve booked. And it ain’t cheap!

I’ve clawed some of the cost back by cancelling my Skylon lunch.

6 Likes

So far as Niagara weather is concerned, I do have options now.

My original plan was early departure from Toronto and late, same day return. Now that I’ve booked a hotel, my new thinking is lunchtime (ish) departure from Toronto and dinnertime (ish) return the following day.

The current Dark Sky forecast is for rain until early evening on the day I arrive (so it should be clearing up by the time I get there) and cloudy (but no rain) the following day.

I can adjust the plans as the forecasts develop.

8 Likes

Local weather report tonight: nothing And nothing in the works. (Hurricane watch)

2 Likes

Oh yeah. The other reason staying over at NF is smart is that the train journey is two hours each way. Which is a lot to do in one day.

9 Likes

Meanwhile my schedule tomorrow is a 90 minute drive each way to take the kid somewhere…

And then Thursday another 80 minute drive each way (going to Disneyland at 6am, but have a stop to/from to pick up friends)

AND THEN Friday to LAX and back (45 minutes each way if we get lucky) to take the kid to this special thing at the airport.

Two hour train ride each way sounds doable for a single day.

:joy::joy::joy:

You sure you want to come see me in LA? We drive ALOT!!!

5 Likes

US life compared to UK! 2 hours travelling each way is a big deal to us! :joy:

4 Likes

Meanwhile last weekend we were bored, so we drove 3 hours one way up to Vermont for some cider donuts, stopped for a few hours and got lunch, then drove back before dinner! Speaking of, how is the leaf forecast around Niagara? There could be some great leaf-peeping on the train!

3 Likes

In Silicon Valley, 2 hours is a one-way work commute.

4 Likes

Interesting tidbit. So, I’d never heard of this term before, although as Michiganders we actually do go out driving just to look at the leaves…just had never heard it referred to this.

But my wife and I watch these YouTubers (Joel and Lia) who are Brits who have a channel dedicated to talking about differences from England and America (loosely). They had an episode where they were talking about terms from the United States that they had to guess what they meant, and this one came up. So…the first time I ever heard the term “leaf-peeping” was from a couple of Brits who were guessing what this term actually means in America! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

So…about 5 miles? :wink:

6 Likes

Have you ever watched The West Wing? There’s an episode that actually has a story revolving around the term; it’s quite amusing.

2 Likes