Motion Sickness Star Wars Rides?

Would love to experience the Star Wars rides but my SO gets motion sickness (although pretends he won’t!) Any advice please….

2 Likes

I am the same way as your SO, at least as far as Star Tours. I let my family ride and I wait nearby. Some folks find non-drowsy dramamine taken regularly throughout the trip can help, and some find the sea bands helpful. None of that works well for me and the last time I rode Star Tours is the last time for me. Even FOP sometimes bothers me so I’m okay skipping it by now.

MFSR bothers me if I’m anything but an engineer. I just don’t watch the screen if it seems to be getting to me

ROTR doesn’t bother me.

4 Likes

I take a Dramamine on my HS day. RotR doesn’t bother me at all. I did MFSR once and survived, but I passed on additional runs. Engineer is the way to go. Star Tours is just a no-go.

3 Likes

I would recommend taking something if you are riding Star Tours. My family gets bothered by it if they forget the Dramamine.

RotR is super smooth.

I’ve done MF:SR twice as pilot only. I play video games so the movement doesn’t affect me. My wife isn’t going to be able to do it, even with medicine.

2 Likes

I have to close my eyes for a portion of the ride, especially the hyper jumps.

3 Likes

Nom-drowsy probably won’t prevent it. But Less Drowsy Dramamine, or Bonine, works well. Non-drowsy is just ginger, so isn’t really effective as a preventative.

Anyhow, I think there is a chance any of the Star Wars rides could cause motion sickness, depending on how you personally react. I get motion sickness on some rides, but none of the Star Wars rides affect me.

2 Likes

Star Tours always knocked me to the ground, even with Dramamine. However, last year we got ReliefBands - these are the ones that give you the “TENS” type mini-electrical current on the inside of your wrist. We got them for Guardians, and decided to see if we could manage Star Tours with them…. And it worked!

Those things are awesome… not cheap, but a good investment that lets us ride anything without feeling a bit motion sick. Even helped on some of the things at UOR (like Forbidden Journey) that were completely off limits before.

1 Like

I get motion sick, especially with screens. I won’t even attempt Star Tours or Millennium Falcon. I did RotR, closed my eyes for the “flying” part near the end, and I was fine. The movement of the vehicles themselves wasn’t a problem for me. It basically depends on what causes the motion sickness for him. For examploe, I can do BTMR, but I get sick on the Skyliner (I think it’s the distortion from the windows).

2 Likes

I get sick on motion simulators. Star Tours is so bad I will rarely do it anymore. MFSR is ok but it can still make me nauseous so I only ride once a trip and am ok skipping it if necessary. RotR is totally fine - no impact.

I take one regular Dramamine each night of my trip (also helps me sleep better!) and one half a less-drowsy Dramamine about 30 minutes before the offending ride (only once a day max).

Where you’re sitting in the ride vehicle can have an impact, but it seems to be different for everyone so takes some experimentation. Grounding yourself by looking at something stationary can help. Most simulators these days also have fans blowing on your face, which helps.

1 Like

I was thinking about this thread earlier. I wanted to add that even Remy can make me feel off sometimes.

2 Likes

Me too. Dramamine definitely helps.

2 Likes

I’d have him skip ST. My DH said he was seconds away from puking and he felt off the rest of the day - not worth it,

2 Likes

The air blowing in your face on FOP is a godsend for me. It’s one of the “I can barely do this one” rides for me.

3 Likes

MFSR is a huge no for me. Closing my eyes didn’t help. I think it is possibly okay if you have really good, smooth pilots but you can’t guarantee that (unless I guess you go with people you know are good!). Mine were crashing every 5 seconds and it was the closest I came to throwing up on my trip.
I won’t go near ST.
ROTR is okay- there is some spinning and jerky movements, but not much.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for your help - We are never doing ST again anyway after the last time (don’t ask :woman_facepalming:t2:)

2 Likes