Motion Sickness and Trying New Rides

Hi there - I am taking a quick solo trip in August yay! Over the past few years I have re-discovered my love for Disney and bought into DVC and have had a few lovely trips the past couple years. My problem is I’m a creature of habit and keep going on the rides I’m familiar with and love but I would like to venture out and try a few new things with my upcoming solo trip. I have never been a fan of fast rides and as I’ve gotten older, I definitely have more motion sickness. I don’t like big drops or spinning rides. The rides I wanted to get your opinion on are Test Track and MFSR. GotG is a definite no-go. I rode BTMR last year for the first time in 15 years. I figured the first car wouldn’t be bad. I was clinging on to DH for dear life! I definitely felt sick afterwards. I don’t know why I’ve been nervous to ride Test Track. For any Michigan people out there - I can go on a dune ride no problem. Is Test Track somewhat similar? I really know nothing about MFSR - I know it’s like a simulator but does it spin at all? I can do Soarin ok.

3 Likes

To me Test Track is just a fast car and it goes around a big track. It’s just fast; if you’ve ever driven or been a passenger in a fast car that will slam your head back on an accelerated take off you’ve experienced the ride already.

3 Likes

Have you tried Star Tours? For me, MFSR was similar to that experience. It made me a bit queasy, but I didn’t need to sit down and I recovered quickly. I’ve never thought about motion sickness on Test Track.

Edited to add: I enjoyed GOTG but it was a once-a-trip ride for me. Not nearly as bad as Mission Space. Both of those make me queasy.

MFSR doesn’t spin but it jerks around esp when the Falcon hits obstacles. The skill of the pilots in avoiding obstacles makes a difference.

1 Like

For MFSR, I think being Any role other than pilot helps because you will be focused more on the buttons you have to push than what is going on the screen.

Test Track is kinda ho-hum, frankly. The last part where you speed outside is fun, but since you are seeing what you are experiencing, motion sickness is unlikely. You go faster on the freeway…it just feels faster due to visual cues. If you have never done it, worth trying. We no longer even bother unless the wait is very short.

2 Likes

Respectfully disagree with @ryan1–Test Track is a lot of fun, not ho-hum.

If you haven’t done Test Track, do try it (and report back!).

2 Likes

Wait. How can you be disagreeing with me when I’m RIGHT???

:wink:

Actually, Test Track USED to be fun. Then they did this Tron-esque conversion and it just seems…dumb…up until the point you head outside. I want to see them completely re-theme the ride.

But you are entitled to your WRONG opinion. :laughing:

2 Likes

No! Wrong!! :rofl:

I would say you are in the minority–people still queue up and wait hours for the experience. (albeit often because the ride is broken down).

I don’t pay too much attention to the build-up. Going around the track outside though, especially with my girls laughing like maniacs–it’s joy! And it would be a must-do on my list even if I was solo. I love the speed.

1 Like

So…you agree with me, then. That’s a relief.

1 Like

I cannot admit to agreeing with you at this point, ha!

However, I’ll admit I wasn’t paying attention to that inside stuff during our ride, so I can’t successfully argue the point. If I had, though, I would debate with you just on principle! :rofl:

Well, I see you DID say the outside track was fun (I went and reread). So I guess we sort of agree!

The last time I was on Star Tours was in 1996 when I had just graduated high school so it’s been awhile!

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

If I can hijack this thread a bit - some of my family is in a similar situation. ST nearly killed them. I think Soarin will be fine - it’s just like an imax with your legs dangling, right?

We’re fine on spinning rides - teacups and ASS are favorites. Buzz and TSM are also fine. If we can do those MMRR should be fine, right?

Motion Sickness isn’t actually caused by “motion” per se. Rather, it is caused by a disconnect between what you see and what your body actually feels. So, it is entirely possible that “calm” rides such as Soarin’ can cause motion sickness since your visual experience doesn’t align with your physical experience. It will depend on the individual.

1 Like

I have been on Soarin and it’s been ok for me. A couple times I looked away from the screen. There are a few “swoops” but I really didn’t feel sick afterwards.

1 Like

MFSR - don’t be a pilot! When DH and I went a year ago we were the only ones in our car and were both pilots. We didn’t know what we were doing and it ended up being the only ride I got queasy on and it lingered. We went on everything and even accidentally sat in the back row of a couple of coasters before remembering why we didn’t want to do that but those were minor.

MFSR was different. I plan on riding it again but not being a pilot. Also, in DL according to the unofficial guide there are stable cars that can be used I asked @len about the WDW version and he said they would need to ask about that. I haven’t heard any updates since. I would LOVE it if WDW MFSR had stable cars because then I think it would be no problem.

3 Likes