Morning liners on 9/11

I just came across some pictures of a NYC trip back in 1990 with friends. Many shots of WTC in the background, but also have some from our visit to the observatory deck.
Very sobering. I didn’t know anyone personally that was lost, but I sure do feel for the families that did lose a loved one.

3 Likes

Good morning. I had the day off and was folding laundry watching the news. Spent the day updating my dh who’s internet use at work was blocked. That day and the day JFK was killed will be etched in my memory forever.

2 Likes

As it was for everyone it was surreal. My DBiL had just moved out of the Tower. His office had been where the plane hit. After the second plane hit and the airline had not been announced nor had the towers fallen, I received a phone call from United Airlines looking for dental records, one of the flight attendants had been our patient. Obviously, when the towers came down dental records were useless. It hit close to home, my heart still breaks for the victims,their loved ones ,and anyone else affected. I remember the people holding signs along the street " Honk if you💝America"

4 Likes

I was at work when the news came across. We were renovating a building for an insurance company that lost offices in the towers. I made it to my dad’s house in time to see the second tower collapse. I can recall nothing more than the fear of the unknown as news spread about the towers, the Pentagon and Flight 93. By mid-afternoon, I was in the recruiter’s office begging to be reinstated. I had just got out in May. The national pride that was evident after the day is something I sorely miss. Too many have sacrificed for that to be taken for granted.

2 Likes

@steve1 the first time I went to London, I had to get off the underground because there was a bomb on the tracks. The irish now seem so tame compared to current terror attacks. My relatives are in Newcastle-U-Lyme.

Rough day all around. So many people touched and changed that day. Hugs to you all.
I was at a teaching workshop and watched on a tiny tv in a room next to the workshop. I had a friend with me and her husband was working at wTc 7, we were in Georgia, she was newly pregnant and she couldn’t reach him for over 24 hours. It was a long day for all and one that changed how we view the world.
In the weeks that followed my sweet first grade class drew pictures of what they saw on the news. Seeing it from a child’s perspective just about broke me. They were to young to know what evil lies in the world.
Yesterday, I remembered, cried and prayed.

I’m on the west coast. While I was getting ready for work, I saw a little bit of news after the first plane hit and prayed for the people involved in the “accident” then I left for my 40 minute commute. To me, in that 40 minutes our country changed into a completely different place. I remember listening to the radio and thinking they couldn’t possibly be getting this information right. The radio jocks never reported news. They were simply my morning entertainment and they sounded strange and serious and scared. When I got to work, I could see it for myself on TV. We had about 7 people from Pennsylvania working with us and it was so hard for them. They were away from their families, scared by what was happening so close to their home and no one knew how long the airlines would have all flights grounded. Nothing else was important any more. They ended up driving a couple of the rental cars home. I can only imagine the stress level as they crossed the country back to their families.

I was in middle school in suburban Jersey, 20 minutes outside of the city. Parents were pulling their kids out of school all day. None of us knew what was going on until my mom came home from work, picked me up early, and drove me past our house. Our view of the skyline had changed forever. My dad slept at his hospital for a week to make sure first responders and patients were all taken care of and fed. So many of my friends were affected by the loss of their families, and I’ll never forget how I felt that day.

Last night I had the pleasure of attending the Yankee game. The Quantico Marine Band played the National Anthem, and Arturo Sandoval gave an amazing rendition of God Bless America. A man from my hometown who lost both his sons (workers at Cantor Fitzgerald) threw out the first pitch. It was an amazing, uplifting experience. The Yankees won in style, eking out a walk-off homer in the bottom of the 9th.

Hope everyone had a beautiful, thoughtful day, and thank you to our finest, bravest, and heroic men and women at home and abroad!

1 Like

@kristenabelle Just the name Cantor Fitzgerald sent chills through me and brought back so many memories, We have many patients from Cantor Fitzgerald, Marsh and Mc Clellan (?sp) and TJ Max. We knew so many close calls, and a few whose lives ended that day not only our patients here in Boston, but my sister lives 45 mins outside of NYC and most of her community and friends worked in and around the WTC. Her Christmas card that year was a pic of the family taken at the Top Of The World on Thanksgiving 2000.